Wanderings around the Midlands

• RMweb Gold

My second to last train of 2021, 5F32 0608 Coventry North Yard to Birmingham New St. 

A rare move these days due to a set of defective points in Coventry North Yard anything that is stabled on road 2 has to depart via the North end and cross over the up and the down Bedworth lines to enable a shunt move back into Coventry station. My picture taken from a position of safety 30/12/2021.

Happy New Year to all my followers and viewers let's hope 2022 is a better year.

Cheers 

Colin 

20211230_061314.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Happy New year to all the RMWebbers 

Just a couple from today as it's my first day back after the New Year.

150255 at Birmingham International waiting to work 0706 TfW service to Shrewsbury.20220105_073547.jpg.a06a50b137760b0ee24ea1d0a62b659c.jpgMy trusty steed at Birmingham New St waiting for its 2nd trip to B'ham International.20220105_065854.jpg.e108dbb1c578b94dd941b89d61947deb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been a bit quiet as I've had just the same couple of turns for the last couple of weeks, mostly full return trips on the cross city line. 

I should take some pics of the 323 fleet before they go and be replaced with the new class 730's.

I'm thinking about organising a farewell tour with the class 323 before they transfer to Northern. 

I'll keep you updated once I know any more info . 

In the meantime here is a pic of 350108 &129 waiting to work the 0640 Northampton to New St service this morning.

And I'm now long weekend followed by a week off with Spring leave. 

Hopefully I'll manage to get some modelling work done as I'm hoping to get some stock ready for April at the Statfold Barn Railway show as I'm one of the  operating team on the Southgate Park layout.

Cheers 

Colin 

20220120_062211.jpg

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CovDriver said:

Been a bit quiet as I've had just the same couple of turns for the last couple of weeks, mostly full return trips on the cross city line. 

I should take some pics of the 323 fleet before they go and be replaced with the new class 730's.

I'm thinking about organising a farewell tour with the class 323 before they transfer to Northern. 

I'll keep you updated once I know any more info . 

In the meantime here is a pic of 350108 &129 waiting to work the 0640 Northampton to New St service this morning.

And I'm now long weekend followed by a week off with Spring leave. 

Hopefully I'll manage to get some modelling work done as I'm hoping to get some stock ready for April at the Statfold Barn Ailway show as I'm one of the  operating team on the Southgate Park layout.

Cheers 

Colin 

20220120_062211.jpg

Would be interested in a 323 farewell tour. I remember them coming into service and being regular visitors to Bletchley for testing and servicIng.

please keep us updated, a tour of their old and current haunts would be great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First proper turn back at work after spring leave and it's a 3 minute taxi ride from the booking on point to Coventry North Yard to prep a pair of 350's to form the 0607 Coventry to New St service which included a North end shunt from the yard upto the limit of electrification on the Bedworth branch. 

Soits 350104 & 262 turn to have shunt around this morning.

Then I'll take 262 to Northampton an couple up to an 8 car set waiting for me. 

Then it's on the cushions to New St followed by a trip to Bromsgrove and back to New St and on the cushions again back o Coventry.

20220201_054615.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well that was an eventful turn today everything was going so well until I took a pair of 323's to Bromsgrove (323218&207).

As there was a traction converter isolated on one unit so in effect I only had 1 and half trains worth of power. 

It was a bit low on power and  something just didn't seem right some stations enroute to Bromsgrove I was lucky to make 40mph. 

Where upon arrival at Bromsgrove my guard informed me that the converter / bogie that had been isolated was a little bit on the warm side.

After a thorough examination we had been authorised to return towards New St to be met by fitters.

The slog up Lickey Bank we reached 29mph at the top instead of the more usual 63mph. 

I ended up missing my booked train back to Coventry so a little bit of overtime was gained.

Off for two days now looking after the youngest daughter who's had Covid-19 for the 2nd time. 

There's potential that I may get some modelling work done on Thursday. 

Cheers 

Colin 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to it this morning with an 0350 book on so it was a taxi to Coventry North Yard to prep a couple of 323's and take them to New St ECS. 

Then pick up another pair and work the 0618 New St to Redditch service and back to New St. 

As I arrived into New St on the return a 66 hauled charter was arriving into platform 8.

Then a 30 minute PnB and take a pair of 350's to Northampton departing New St at 0833. 

Followed by returning to New St with another pair and travelling pass back to Coventry for a finish at 1145.

20220205_074914.jpg

20220205_050908.jpg

20220205_092335.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a couple from today's job that started at 0404 with a taxi to Birmingham International to prep a 12 car 350 set and take it to Coventry and detach the rear 4 and continue to Northampton as an 8 car at 0542.

Then it was return to New St at 0640 with a different 8 car set for a lengthy pnb and I was the supposed to take the 0925 New St to Lichfield TV service but as an instructor and trainee were waiting to take it forward I had a good result a nice 2 and half hour early finish.

Same job again tomorrow and it's not going to be a good one if this storm does wreak havoc on the railway. 

Cheers 

Colin 

20220217_052257.jpg

20220217_062758.jpg

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No pics today I'm afraid but the job started off as planned with the prep of a 12 car 350 set and taking it to Coventry. 

Then I was informed my 0640 departure from Northampton was cancelled and an emergency timetable was in operation as well as a national blanket speed restriction of 50mph was in operation.  

So I had the delights of the 0655 service from Northampton calling all stations to Birmingham New St except Adderley with a maximum speed of 50mph. 

Boy that was painful but every cloud has a silver lining my next booked part of my job the 0925 was again covered by an instructor and trainee. 

So all being well should be done by 1030 and potentially I can do some modelling on my little layout ? 

Cheers 

Colin

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well my 2nd booked Sunday for this year first a taxi to Coventry North Yard to prep a double 350 set but it appears someone has nicked one of my units as you can see in the first pic the 350 in the distance (241) is on its own on road 1. 

The second pic shows 350129 and there was another on the rear at Coventry for my second viiti to New St im not sure of the number as I was more bothered about avoiding flying debris from the high winds between Long Buckby and Coventry. 

One more turn tomorrow then a few days away in Edinburgh with the family. 

Cheers 

Colin

20220220_074812.jpg

20220220_120543.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 09:34, CovDriver said:

No pics today I'm afraid but the job started off as planned with the prep of a 12 car 350 set and taking it to Coventry. 

Then I was informed my 0640 departure from Northampton was cancelled and an emergency timetable was in operation as well as a national blanket speed restriction of 50mph was in operation.  

So I had the delights of the 0655 service from Northampton calling all stations to Birmingham New St except Adderley with a maximum speed of 50mph. 

Boy that was painful but every cloud has a silver lining my next booked part of my job the 0925 was again covered by an instructor and trainee. 

So all being well should be done by 1030 and potentially I can do some modelling on my little layout ? 

Cheers 

Colin

That brings back memories of my commute from Northampton to Birmingham 92-94. IIRC the trains were infrequent and the fast ones were either too early or did not get me to New St in time for work. So it was the 7.38 all stations (including Adderley Park).  It felt like it took a lifetime and all to go to a job I didn't really enjoy! Still, I learned to identify where all the old lines on the route had been, all except the junction at Hampton-in-Arden where the old midland route had made a junction

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

That brings back memories of my commute from Northampton to Birmingham 92-94. IIRC the trains were infrequent and the fast ones were either too early or did not get me to New St in time for work. So it was the 7.38 all stations (including Adderley Park).  It felt like it took a lifetime and all to go to a job I didn't really enjoy! Still, I learned to identify where all the old lines on the route had been, all except the junction at Hampton-in-Arden where the old midland route had made a junction

The junction was (possibly still is) covered by the storage unit/workshop of a timber supply company I seem to recall.

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, balders said:

The junction was (possibly still is) covered by the storage unit/workshop of a timber supply company I seem to recall.

Regards

Guy

The small single storey building almost next to timber yard is I believe the original Midland railway station building. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple this morning, firstly I was booked pass on the 0533 empties from Coventry to New St then a taxi to the delightful Soho LMD.

Collecting 323218 (5U54) Soho LMD to New St.

Followed by two trips to Walsall and a Birmingham International shuttle and finally a trip to Northampton and back to Coventry. 

20220318_064721.jpg

20220318_062445.jpg

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

We all need a Thread resurrection...

Soho depot's giant teddy bear has revealed via Twitter that 323 221 is now a Centro tribute unit

passed that parked on soho earlier today, looks stunning! only seems like yesterday that livery was the norm 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the kind comments, I shall resurrect the thread and start posting again. 

I'm hoping to get 323221 in the very near future but I've been told not to break it as we are going to do a few farewell charters next year. 

They'll be organised through the Branchline society so I'm told.

Cheers 

Colin 

Edited by CovDriver
Iffy spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just one pic for today as it all went wrong this morning after a 323 failure at Redditch (Not me).

But I ended up taking the failed units to Soho and once I arrived I looked around the depot for Hunslet The Bear but he was avoiding me...

The only chance for a quick pic was at Lichfield Trent Valley whilst waiting to work 2O30 (1209 LTV- BRO) as far as New St.

Cheers 

Colin

20221219_115458.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

We all need a Thread resurrection...

Soho depot's giant teddy bear has revealed via Twitter that 323 221 is now a Centro tribute unit

Feeling all nostalgaic; a feature of most of my teenage journeys into Brum from Dudley Port. Definitely a great livery, especially compared to the present ones...

6 hours ago, CovDriver said:

Thank you for the kind comments, I shall resurrect the thread and start posting again. 

I'm hoping to get 323221 in the very near future but I've been told not to break it as we are going to do a few farewell charters next year. 

They'll be organised through the Branchline society so I'm told.

Cheers 

Colin 

Interesting news, I was able to get the first public run of the 323 on the X-City as I was working at Centro at the time and we were tipped off in time to rush over to Aston o get the first unit back to New Street!  I also went to the mock up in Coventry, so would be very interested in a farewell tour.

Assuming that is it will be a farewell tour.  I went on the Class 150 farewell which of course wasn't quite the farewell to the 150s in the Midlands we thought it was!