Single board N gauge layouts

Chris M

Following a visit to TINGS I realised that I am quite a fan of single board N gauge layouts. There is quite a variety of layouts in this genre. The great thing is that N gauge is small enough to allow a reasonably interesting layout with continuous run (if wanted) on a board that can be carried by one person and will fit on the dining table. There are plenty of them around but they don't seem to get much of a mention. They will never be the best layout in a show but they almost certainly inspire others to have a go at a layout even if they don't have much space. I see them as an important part of any model railway exhibition. Just wondering what others think.

• Like 1

I agree. My N gauge layout is about the size of an interior door. It's big enough for running reasonably long trains and I've managed to develop interesting scenery.

You do tend to see a lot of double track oval layouts in N and there's sometimes a tendency to try and cram in as much track as possible with little thought for scenery which is s shame because N lends itself trains in the landscape.

Yes, N does open up more possibilities than larger scales. One of my favourite examples of a small, continuous-run layout in N gauge is Hornby magazine's "Hettle". A great example of what can be done in a small space (6'x4').

http://www.key.aero/view_article.asp?ID=6086&thisSection=commercial

For N gauge in the landscape, one of the best examples on the circuit at the moment has to be Vale of Oxbury by Carl Woodbury.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8511-vale-of-oxbury-br-western-region/page-7

I have seen Lymebrook Yard and agree it is a brilliantly planned and executed layout. 

I thought Cottingvale and Gibben Quarry were good examples at TINGS this year. Another nice very little one is Ardmore. 

I also quite like the one I have built which is probably how I got interested in single board layouts. They are great at exhibitions - it takes me 15 minutes to get away after a show if I take my time packing! I'm thinking I might just build another one.

'Newbridge Junction' is also a N Gauge layout on a single board the size of a door, which is enjoyable to operate at home - even if it is nowhere near finished!

And when the layout is finished (And hopefully get a chance to be exhibited), I would very happily build another different plan on the same sized baseboards...

Sam