Vernier Calipers from Ebay

It seems that a new maker is active on Ebay from China, new all metric Stainless steel Verniers for under £5,(99p post) and not a trace of plastic or stamped out steel parts. I use these for track laying, gauging and point construction, being Stainless Steel it will take heat and is quite hard steel.

They are metric only, but have a generous Vernier scale that's easy to read.

The seller is UK based as well, so by return delivery.

Checked out as accurate on test slips, may need the screws on it tightened up and checked, but at the price a real bargain.

post-6750-0-83582700-1506126296_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-150mm-Vernier-Caliper-Gauge-Micrometer-Stainless-Steel-Measuring-Tool-UKShip/261839966949?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 2

I must say that I like verniers. No finding that the battery's flat when you need them. Fortunately I have access to MrsB's Mitutoyos for fine work. Getting a pair of these for rougher stuff might be handy. Or at least avoid my becoming a story on the 7pm news :D.

At least they are away from the trend from the FE to make the cheaper ones in plastic. Some previous metal ones in the cheapest range were stampings, and not stainless steel.

The outside of the jaws can be filed to make the tips the flangeway thickness, use the small diamond files or grind them.

They are definitely not made to the finest grade finish, but if there are very slight burrs etc, a spot of very fine grit emery will remove the rough edges.

Stephen

After saying these were Chinese or Hong Kong, I noticed another seller lists these as Indian made, and it's noticeable most of the Chinese made are now plastic in this price range.

Checked over this morning I found the two screws that retain the tail end cover over the spike for depth were loose, and needed a spot of Loctite added to ensure they stay in place.

The tiny screws that hold the slides in place can have a spot of varnish added over each one , so that you can adjust or clean up the head later on. Loctite might be too permanent! The varnish also stops flux etc from rusting the set screws, which are not stainless.

Can't fault the accuracy, tested with an old set of metric slips, the standard is way beyond Model Railway needs.

I bought one of these (or possibly it's an almost identical one?), but found the screw holes had been drilled on the skew, which seriously compromised its accuracy. I should have sent it back, but at the price I couldn't be bothered and removed the most offending screws instead so I could realign it. A pity as the accuracy of the engraving is excellent.

Edited by Il Grifone

I bought one of these (or possibly it's an almost identical one?), but found the screw holes had been drilled on the skew, which seriously compromised its accuracy. I should have sent it back, but at the price I couldn't be bothered and removed the most offending screws instead so I could realign it. A pity as the accuracy of the engraving is excellent.

They have been making this pattern with Imperial and metric scales for some time and a previous one I had fell apart from the set screws rusting away, but the current ones are another maker, and are far better made. The other one, by the way was fully repairable with new screws fitted and re-tapped.

The reason the screws rusted was the corrosive flux fumes from soldering the track.

Costs more than the verniers.......seriously yes, but a spot of varnish does as well to protect them. The screws on this one have heads with a X head screwdriver fitting, much better designed. They are blackened and may not rust as badly anyway.