Historic Forest Hill & Brixton Railway Stations

rogerfastlane

While writing an informal  local history I got interested in modelling the old Forest Hill railway station in 2mm.

Although I have the usual images from the Railway Journal there are gaps in these images - particularly rail-side views. Also very few (I have only found 2) images of steam hauled trains at the station. As this was part of the SR electrification program this did latterly limit the number of steam trains through the station, but there seems to be an unusual dearth of images for such a busy line.

Similarly, when writing a further amateur history of the Brixton area, there seem to be no generally available images of the pre-WWII bomb damaged station apart from a few Atlantic Rd/Station Rd/Popes Rd views. 

Any images would be invaluable and help record these two interesting (particularly FH) stations and help with both local history and some 2mm modelling ambitions.

Thanks for any comments/images

• 6 months later...

Hi pb-devon. Unfortunately none of the sites show  trackside/station platform views of Brixton station at all except the 1st vid (link broken) that I have already seen and it only shows looking towards Victoria from the platform so shows the signal box and Brixton Rd buildings but no station detail. Urban75 seems even more devoid of useful old images and the London Metropolitan Archive shows nothing when searching for this, so no progress. Similar for Forest Hill.

I do have the Railway Magazine article on Forest Hill that shows exterior views and have found a few old images online but as previously commented only 2 images of the station appear in searches and neither shows the last Victorian station with any track/platform detail as all too far away or obscured.

Anyone with knowledge of actual images out there?

• 5 months later...

post-18840-0-29122800-1536503526_thumb.jpgpost-18840-0-81774300-1536503533_thumb.jpgpost-18840-0-01460200-1536503542_thumb.jpgpost-18840-0-68399200-1536503550_thumb.jpgpost-18840-0-66312800-1536503561_thumb.jpgHi, yes, I went to Brixton East before it closed and took a few photos- now unfortunately lost in various moves. There are some great pics online taken before electrification of the lighting and I recall the gas lights there and hung around to see them lit when I took the pics back in the 1960s. 

Unfortunately still no pics of Brixton station buildings at platform level or the same trackside views of Forest Hill - given the busy nature of the station a strange omission? Hope someone out there has some pics in a drawer soemwhere?

A few pics attached of my WIP CAD model of Forest Hill (if I can figure out how to attach...).

• Like 4