Which couplings do you use?

Tricky

Hi all,

Having skimmed through Iain Rice's Cameo book, high on the agenda is silky-smooth running and operation. It also seems that regular 3-link and screw couplings are frowned upon as these would necessitate a hand from on high. Also the backscene and high viewing level would make it doubly difficult. So I'm wondering for 7mm what the options are and what you all might be using? All my stock at the moment has 3-link couplings and ideally I wouldn't want to loose them. Your thoughts most welcome.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Dinghams or Sprat and Winkle couplings are relatively unobtrusive.

I'm using the latter because I think they work better when vehicles are turned 180 degrees, but the three links become part of the operating bar, so probably don't fit your requirements.

Mike Bragg uses 00 tension lock couplings with a modification to make them operate with magnets under the track, he uses coupling pockets that can be filled with eother the tension lock or a three link, look down to around post 64 onwards on this thread to see some detail.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71047-the-reely-grate-manufacturing-company/page-3

The Dinghams retain the three links, and maybe fit your requirements best, as they can be used with 3 link stock without any change.

http://www.dingham.co.uk/7mm_coupler.htm

Peter

In 4mm I couldn't cope with 3 link. In 7mm it's a different kettle of fish. I love them. Currently experimenting with non magnetic inner and middle links. Magnetic end link. That arrangement makes operation with a magnetic screw driver quite easy.

Regarding modules. I think 7mm cries out for "audience side" operation. You can even have a driver and shunter....

I did purchase some dinghams. But finding the 3 links OK, they are still in the packet.

Hi Richard,

Dinghams or Sprat and Winkle couplings are relatively unobtrusive.

I'm using the latter because I think they work better when vehicles are turned 180 degrees, but the three links become part of the operating bar, so probably don't fit your requirements.

Mike Bragg uses 00 tension lock couplings with a modification to make them operate with magnets under the track, he uses coupling pockets that can be filled with eother the tension lock or a three link, look down to around post 64 onwards on this thread to see some detail.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71047-the-reely-grate-manufacturing-company/page-3

The Dinghams retain the three links, and maybe fit your requirements best, as they can be used with 3 link stock without any change.

http://www.dingham.co.uk/7mm_coupler.htm

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the link to the Dinghams. I think I will give them a try as I haven't laid any track yet I still have the opportunity to plan where electromagnets can go. Retro-fitting on Monk's Gate might be another story though...!

Richard

For our home 7mm layout we have screw / three link couplings and do not wish to change from that ideal.

We help another 7mm modeller with exhibiting his layout and that uses Alex Jackson couplings...  note that there are five linked pages of text, page two shows with illustrations how to make the couplings and using jigs.  What I like about these couplings is that for a 7mm shunting layout (St Martins Wharf by Bob Alderman) the whole operation can be achieved without any visible human intervention.  With care the AJ coupling can be installed without conflicting with a three link coupling on the same vehicle.

For our home 7mm layout we have screw / three link couplings and do not wish to change from that ideal.

We help another 7mm modeller with exhibiting his layout and that uses Alex Jackson couplings...  note that there are five linked pages of text, page two shows with illustrations how to make the couplings and using jigs.  What I like about these couplings is that for a 7mm shunting layout (St Martins Wharf by Bob Alderman) the whole operation can be achieved without any visible human intervention.  With care the AJ coupling can be installed without conflicting with a three link coupling on the same vehicle.

Thanks for that. I had stupidly dismissed these as being 4mm only. I assume that sizes of the couplings are the same for 7mm?

Thanks for that. I had stupidly dismissed these as being 4mm only. I assume that sizes of the couplings are the same for 7mm?

The GOG have a very useful PDF on line. The first result from a Google search of Alex Jackson couplings for 7mm.

The GOG have a very useful PDF on line. The first result from a Google search of Alex Jackson couplings for 7mm.

Well there you are...  oft you jolly well go!

For a cameo layout I think that AJs are de-rigeur and the idea of the AJ rather fits with the cameo concept...  a look into a scene with no human involvement.