Workshopwise 2017

Axlebox

WORKSHOPWISE 2017

Saturday 14th October 2017

10.30am to 4.30pm

Its that time of the year again when the North East and Borders Area Group of the EM Gauge Society gather in the village hall at Stannington for a day of practical modelling demonstrations...

...also in attendance is a smattering or rather nice layouts;

Marine Park Yard ‘OO’
Shankend ‘EM’
Callaton ‘2mmFS’
Middle Peak’EM’

...and a gaggle of traders and sales stands;

Dave Alexander Models

Tynedale Trains

Smart Models

Lanarksdhire Models and Supplies

Cumbrian Railways Association

Stonybridge Structures

In addition this year the EMGS Sales stand will be in attendance...so you can stock up for all those 'winter' projects.

Local author Dr Dave Dunn will be projecting railway (he also does ships and buses) images from the collection of the Armstrong Trust...on request he may even do a search for views of your favourite subject/station

Stannington is 10 miles north of Newcastle, just off the A1 and the village hall is conveniently situated behind the Ridley Arms public house.

Morpeth is some 2 miles up the road and boasts one of the best cheese shops in the UK, it still has a model shop and a rather good micro pub...(whilst talking of good ale, the Anarchy Brewery is a mile up the road.)

So what ever your scale/gauge combination (From 5" to 2mm and everthing in between), why not come along for a grand day out.

One last thing...the bacon butties at Stannington are not to be missed, not many shows have catering as good as this...for me its cake everytime (just incase the lady who makes the cakes is reading this)

Entry is £3 (all this for three quid!)

Satnav: NE61 6EL

old school: NZ 214794

PS. In true Reiver tradition all weapons and side arms must be left in the cloak room and not taken into the hall.

Edited by Axlebox

I'll be there with a table of electrickery, with none of it in EM, though there is some P4 and 2mm Finescale - please come and ask questions, there are no stupid questions!

Also present will Ian with some rather impressive techniques for making stone walled buildings and scenic items. His techniques are cheap, quick once you've seen how, and a really good end result.

Looking forwards to the day out.

- Nigel

• Like 1

Tooooo much information Porcy.

Please don't tell us if you turn up commando.....

See ya

Dave Franks.

Commando since I was twelve but suspect due to age, it's  a necessity thing now. :chok_mini:

(Hoping there's mushy pea curry available at the weekend???)

http://slimmingworldrecipes.org/recipe/mushy-pea-curry/

Commando since I was twelve but suspect due to age, it's  a necessity thing now. :chok_mini:

(Hoping there's mushy pea curry available at the weekend???)

http://slimmingworldrecipes.org/recipe/mushy-pea-curry/

...that curry sounds like a chemical weapon, in which case, according to Reiver tradition (as set out in the original post), you will be made to stand in the cloak room for the day...

...that curry sounds like a chemical weapon, in which case, according to Reiver tradition (as set out in the original post), you will be made to stand in the cloak room for the day...

Should that not be the Ridley Arms end of the car park, incase it is rather more pungent than he is letting on!!!!

"Eau de toilette" my dear boy, Eau de toilette. My fragrance is sweet.

P

Meanwhile...

I will be there, with an assortment of 4mm scale wagons on my table and an assortment of 12" scale wagon bits under the table...

Meanwhile...

I will be there, with an assortment of 12" scale wagon bits under the table...

You think he's kidding?

This is the man that can be found most weekends wandering on some lonely Northern fell top in appalling weather with an eighteenth century rail chair slung over each shoulder!

post-508-0-15338700-1507900964_thumb.jpg

P

This really is turning into one of those not to be missed events with something for everyone. Not an exhibition but an event.

It might be organised by the EM Northumberland & Borders mob but don't let the gauge thing put you off. I saw demos by 3 different 2mm chaps, a 00 gauge layout and even an under construction 3.5" gauge steamer hiding away atop a demonstration table.

For me, highpoint has to be the catering. This has to be the finest anywhere on the exhibition circuit. To sample the ham & tattie hash is worth a 400 mile round trip to anyone. I couldn't resist topping mine out with a bacon and egg buttie.

10/10 to the organisers and those that manned (maybe that should be wimmin'd?) the kitchen.

P

And despite being Reiver country we didn't see one fight in the carpark but we did have to assist  in lifting one elderly lady of the carpark floor and into her car due due the side effects of the pub. Fortunately she wasn't driving!

• Like 2

And I'll second the remarks of the last speaker....

Back home now after a good day out.

Many thanks to the organisers.

Dave Franks.

And Porcy, don't show me that again, please...... :scared:

Edited by davefrk

This really is turning into one of those not to be missed events with something for everyone. Not an exhibition but an event.

It might be organised by the EM Northumberland & Borders mob but don't let the gauge thing put you off. I saw demos by 3 different 2mm chaps, a 00 gauge layout and even an under construction 3.5" gauge steamer hiding away atop a demonstration table.

For me, highpoint has to be the catering. This has to be the finest anywhere on the exhibition circuit. To sample the ham & tattie hash is worth a 400 mile round trip to anyone. I couldn't resist topping mine out with a bacon and egg buttie.

10/10 to the organisers and those that manned (maybe that should be wimmin'd?) the kitchen.

P

And despite being Reiver country we didn't see one fight in the carpark but we did have to assist  in lifting one elderly lady of the carpark floor and into her car due due the side effects of the pub. Fortunately she wasn't driving!

Hi Porcy

I think you're quite right it is more of an event than an exhibition...and it gets bigger and better every year.

Congratulations to the North East and Borders group of the EM Society for putting on such a good show...and to the catering team who are always the unsung heroes.

Roll on next year.

A/box

Hi Porcy

I think you're quite right it is more of an event than an exhibition...and it gets bigger and better every year.

Congratulations to the North East and Borders group of the EM Society for putting on such a good show...and to the catering team who are always the unsung heroes.

Roll on next year.

A/box

I'm glad you all enjoyed the day , and thanks for coming along - even as organiser, it was good to be there. If you don't mind, I will copy your kind comments about the catering to Sandra, Lesley and Anne, who did all the hard work and were up until 1.30am in the morning spud bashing, or up at 4.30am putting things into ovens! I feel guilty getting up and just being there sorting who goes where. Axleboxes contribution was real enough - I stubbed my toe on it - nexy year he is promising to bring the whole wagon :)

Cheers

Martyn