Which paints to buy to mix 'n' match?

spikey

My 00 layout is now at the stage where the next thing is track painting prior to ballasting, so it's paint-buying time.  I'm on a very tight budget here, but I'm only concerned with track and lineside stuff like retaining walls.  I have no need of "authentic" colours, so it occurs to me that one way to reduce the expense would be to buy the minimum number of colours and mix them as required. 

But what make and colours to go for apart from black, white and a brown?  Suggestions please, gents, bearing in mind that this is for brushing and I'm happier with enamels rather than acrylics but I don't trust Humbrol.  I need to buy online, and half a dozen or so in one hit to make the most of the delivery charge.

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly add red and blue (and probably yellow to get a full spectrum).

White and Black will give you awide range of greys but i think they tend to be very flat colours.  The addition of the slightest amount of red (and I really mean slightest) will give a grey that is far warmer.  Similarly a touch of blue will give greys that are much more like slate (whether light or dark).

My artistic daughter swears by Daler Rowney System 3 for most of the work she does which includes 3D stuff on plastic, card etc usually from this supplier.

http://www.artifolk.co.uk/paints/acrylic-paints/individual-acrylic/daler-rowney-system-3-acrylic-59ml.htm

The minium colours to get would be process yellow, processs cyan and process magenta, which along with black and zinc mixing white enable you to produce practically any colour. Obviously if you are going to use a lot of a particular colour, ie for a road surface then buy a tube of a suitable grey and adjust it by mixing in a little of the basic colours.

Brian 

Thanks for the colour suggestions, chaps.  I did say it was enamels I'm after, but that's really because that's what I used to use first time round 30 years ago (when you could rely on Humbrol).  Point taken about the small quantities though, so I guess I need to ask whether acylics are any good for painting track?  I've only ever used acylics on plastic, and then only Tamiya acrylics ...

If you don't like Humbrol you should maybe try Revell enamels. They come in similarly small tinlets but, in my experience, their quality can be relied on.

David

These day's i stick to Railmatch or Phoenix paints . Plus the odd pot of acrylic from the games workshop.

My artistic daughter swears by Daler Rowney System 3 for most of the work she does which includes 3D stuff on plastic, card etc usually from this supplier.

http://www.artifolk.co.uk/paints/acrylic-paints/individual-acrylic/daler-rowney-system-3-acrylic-59ml.htm

The minium colours to get would be process yellow, processs cyan and process magenta, which along with black and zinc mixing white enable you to produce practically any colour. Obviously if you are going to use a lot of a particular colour, ie for a road surface then buy a tube of a suitable grey and adjust it by mixing in a little of the basic colours.

Brian 

Process colours are printers ink colours that makes up the CMY of CMYK the four colour process inks used for litho printing. For paint mixing you want the primary, not the process, colours so primary red, primary blue and primary yellow plus black, white and any metallics you might care to add. However, the paint chart Brian links to does itself call the primary colours process colours. Odd that as it's quite wrong and goes against the conventions that describe colour theory – bad mistake for an artists' colour supplier. So the process colours they list are in fact the primary colours.

Although you'll be able to mix anything in theory from just five hues you might find it an awful lot of effort. Why are you so against acrylics? They are much easier to mix than oil based enamels and since you could buy artist colours they could work out cheaper. That written artists acrylics are designed to have varying amounts of 'body' which effectively means they have less pigment than modelling specific acrylics making them less useful in many modelling applications.

Edited by Anglian

... Why are you so against acrylics? ...

I'm not, actually.  It's just that I used to use enamels (because that's what model paints were), and I recently had a go on Wilko's cheapo acrylics in tubes with which I was singularly unimpressed.

So OK then, out with the bus pass and off to the nearest artists' suppliers on Monday to splash out on a couple of tubes of halfway-decent acrylics and see how I get on.  Is it just a case of mixing a splodge of paint and a drop or two of water until it's thin enough to paint with?

Edited by spikey

Ah yes if you buy paint that is cheap it will have lots of body and not much pigment. It is a simple as a splodge of paint and thin with water. You can paint with it neat if you wish – the paint is designed to enable impasto technique, ie. very thickly applied paint often applied with a painting knife. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but one brand is designed to have extra body, it might be Liquitex.

One thing I would suggest is if you are under-painting areas of bare ground is to paint rather lighter than you may initially think. This is where scaled colour does matter IMHO. Aim to model the colours as you see them in the real world at around 50+ yards distant. If it has rained the ground at your feet may well look dark and it's tempting to copy that but you're trying to capture the impression of the whole scene and during daylight hours the scene is bathed in light, even more so if you are modelling summer.

Edited by Anglian

Just by way of an update, I ordered a few tubes of Daler System 3 acrylic as recommended by Brian and they seem to be just the job.  FWIW I didn't get them from the linked supplier on account of several reviews mentioning erratic delivery times, but from artdiscount.co.uk.  Brilliant service at a very good price :)

The best acrylic paints I find are those made by Vallejo.  Very fine pigment and good coverage.

No doubt - but as I originally made clear, I'm on a very tight budget here and have no need of "authentic" colours, so Daler-Rowney System 3 at one third the price of Vallejo will do me nicely :)

Having painted a couple of backscenes in acrylics I would suggest getting a bottle of flow enhancer, it extends the working time and thins the paint with no loss of coverage. My personal preference is for Windsor & Newton Professional Acrylic range. These paints come in 60ml tubes, have a very heavy pigment content so a little goes a very long way - the white will cover lamp black in a single coat. The biggest single advantage is that there is no colour shift ie, the paint doesn't get darker as it dries which is really uesful if your trying to match an existing colour.. The only downside is that they aren't cheap - around £7-8 unless you get Cerulean blue which is £15 a tube.

Jonathan

Just by way of an update, I ordered a few tubes of Daler System 3 acrylic as recommended by Brian and they seem to be just the job.  FWIW I didn't get them from the linked supplier on account of several reviews mentioning erratic delivery times, but from artdiscount.co.uk.  Brilliant service at a very good price :)

Make sure you post your findings/thoughts on here.  My first adventure with acrylics (cheap artist tubes on sale) was quite the process of trial and error.  Like almost everything in this hobby, my first efforts were less than optimal, but each following experiment got better and better.  I will admit at first I thought "paint is paint", but painting with acrylics requires a different skillset than enamels, not more/less difficult, just different.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt - but as I originally made clear, I'm on a very tight budget here and have no need of "authentic" colours, so Daler-Rowney System 3 at one third the price of Vallejo will do me nicely :)

Vallejo paints are lovely for brush-painting models; not because of the choice of colors but because it's easy to get a nice smooth finish which doesn't obscure fine details.

I think none of this is necessary for what you're doing.

• Like 1

Make sure you post your findings/thoughts on here.

Glad to.  So far all I've had chance to do is mix up two colours I'm happy with, in the sense that the colours are about right when wet.  I have a sleeper colour and a rusty rail colour.

However, two things have become apparent, which are rather disappointing.  One is that the paint I'm using, Daler Rowney System 3, dries to what I'd call a satin finish rather than the matt I need.  And the other is that it looks like I'm going to end up with the sleepers having to be darker than I wanted, on account of anything lighter doesn't really cover the black that Peco mould their sleepers in.

Anybody know a way of matting artist's acrylics?

Further to my above post, I've now had a bit more of a play and there's no way I can get acceptable covering power without very noticeable brushmarks. 

So much for the idea that I'd save money by mixing artists' acrylics to make the colours I need rather than forking out £3 a time for 15ml pots of proper model paint ... :unsure:

I haven't yet tried it myself (I intend to) but I recall someone (Iain Robinson I think) recommending Gouache paints, which are supposed to be opaque and dry properly matt.

There's also acrylic Gouache, which is similar but waterproof.

Has someone out there used them?