Layout Design in Illustration software

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Phil,

I've decided to go with the present signalling plan, at least until the new Dapol bracket signals become available, then I will investigate changing it. I've drawn a revised signalling diagram for it with some of the alterations suggested by Mike, will post it on here later for you ( and Mike hopefully) to see.

The only real changes required on the present version seem to relate to:  1.the lever description plates,( see below) the rest are minor  2. Maybe 22 disc signal needs to be moved back a little from the points to make it easier to see  3. Can you add a label for the HEADSHUNT (the siding nearest the rear of the signalbox )  4.  The creamery siding, being  private, needs to be gated. 5. Can you add the word 'Main' to the main platform - again that will make it match with the appropriate lever leads.  6. Could you change the wording to LOCO DEPOT for the siding that runs between 12 disc and the hand points - as that will then correspond with the lever leads on the discs that read to/from it. 7. The next station's name will now be  'Much Dithering'  - I think it sounds more convincing....Thanks for doing all this, very pleased, it's certainly coming together now!

Lever leads.

Based on the recent information as supplied by The Stationmaster, I have listed how I think they should read. For completeness I have included them all, even though some are not altered.

lever 1. DOWN MAIN HOME TO INNER HOMES.

lever 2. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO MAIN PLATFORM.

lever 3. SPARE.

lever 4. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO BAY PLATFORM.

lever 5. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO LOOP LINE.

lever 6. DISC.  DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO PARCELS DOCK.

lever 7 .FPL FOR 8.

lever 8. POINTS.  MAIN PLATFORM/BAY PLATFORM.

lever 9. SPARE.

lever 10. FPL FOR 11.

lever 11. POINTS. MAIN PLATFORM/LOOP LINE.

lever 12 . DISC. LOCO DEPOT TO PARCELS DOCK.

lever 13. SPARE.

lever 14. FPL FOR 15.

lever 15 . POINTS. BAY PLATFORM/PARCELS DOCK.

lever 16. DISC. PARCELS DOCK TO UP MAIN ADVANCE STARTING.

lever 17. DISC.PARCELS DOCK TO LOCO DEPOT.

lever 18. UP MAIN ADVANCE STARTING.

lever 19. UP MAIN PLATFORM STARTING.

lever 20. UP BAY PLATFORM STARTING.

lever 21. LOOP LINE STARTING TO UP MAIN ADVANCE STARTING.

lever 22. DISC. HEADSHUNT TO LOOP LINE.

lever 23 .DISC. LOOP LINE TO GOODS SHED.

lever 24. POINTS. MAIN PLATFORM/LOOP LINE.

lever 25. DISC. ENGINE RELEASE TO LOOP LINE.

I think that these are correct, - but it would be useful if Mike could cast his eyes over them and advise if any are wrong!

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

No1 Should read just 'Down Main Home'. (as it can only read to the next signal)

No. 4 delete word 'platform'

No. 5 delete word 'line'

No 6 to read 'Points Main to Bay'

No 11 to read 'Points Main to Loop'

No. 15 delete word 'platform'

No 16 should read  ' ... to Up Main' (.e delete words 'advance starting - because the signal doesn't necessarily read all the way to that signal).

No.s 19 & 20 - delete the word 'Up'. (you can only go one way and that is Up.

No 21 to read 'Loop Starting'

No22 to read Disc Shunt Spur to Loop'

No.s 23, 24 & 25  delete word 'line'

Edited by The Stationmaster

Hello again Phil,

I've decided to go with the present signalling plan, at least until the new Dapol bracket signal become available, then I will investigate changing it. I've drawn a revised signalling diagram for it with some of the alterations suggested by Mike, will post it on here later for you ( and Mike hopefully) to see.

The only real changes required on the present version seem to relate to: 1.the lever description plates,( see below) the rest are minor 2. Maybe 22 disc signal needs to be moved back a little from the points to make it easier to see 3. Can you add a label for the SHUNT SPUR (the siding nearest the rear of the signalbox ) 4. The creamery siding, being private, needs to be gated. 5. Can you add the word 'Main' to the main platform - again that will make it match with the appropriate lever leads. 6. Could you change the wording to LOCO DEPOT for the siding that runs between 12 disc and the hand points - as that will then correspond with the lever leads on the discs that read to/from it. 7. The next station's name will now be 'Much Dithering' - I think it sounds more convincing....Thanks for doing all this, very pleased, it's certainly coming together now!

Lever leads.

Based on the recent information as supplied by The Stationmaster, I have listed how I think they should read. For completeness I have included them all, even though some are not altered.

lever 1. DOWN MAIN HOME.

lever 2. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO MAIN PLATFORM.

lever 3. SPARE.

lever 4. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO BAY.

lever 5. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO LOOP.

lever 6. DISC. DOWN MAIN INNER HOME TO PARCELS DOCK.

lever 7. FPL FOR 8.

lever 8. POINTS. MAIN TO BAY.

lever 9. SPARE.

lever 10. FPL FOR 11.

lever 11. POINTS. MAIN TO LOOP.

lever 12. DISC. LOCO DEPOT TO PARCELS DOCK.

lever 13. SPARE.

lever 14. FPL FOR 15.

lever 15 POINTS. BAY TO PARCELS DOCK.

lever 16. DISC. PARCELS DOCK TO UP MAIN.

lever 17. DISC.PARCELS DOCK TO LOCO DEPOT.

lever 18. UP MAIN ADVANCE STARTING.

lever 19. MAIN PLATFORM STARTING.

lever 20. BAY PLATFORM STARTING.

lever 21. LOOP STARTING.

lever 22. DISC. SHUNT SPUR TO LOOP.

lever 23 .DISC. LOOP TO GOODS SHED.

lever 24. POINTS. MAIN PLATFORM TO LOOP.

lever 25. DISC. ENGINE RELEASE TO LOOP.

I think that these are correct, - but it would be useful if Mike could cast his eyes over them and advise if any are wrong!

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Edited: 16.00 to reflect changes as suggested by Mike.

Edited by sigtech

Phil- that is brilliant! Absolutely marvellous- I'm totally pleased with both the diagram and the lever leads - good work!

I will just ask Mike to pop in and 'proof read' it before we say 'job done' but other than that thanks.

Thank you once again for all you have done,

Regards

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Phil- that is brilliant! Absolutely marvellous- I'm totally pleased with both the diagram and the lever leads - good work!

I will just ask Mike to pop in and 'proof read' it before we say 'job done' but other than that thanks.

Thank you once again for all you have done,

Regards

Steve.

One thing ONLY!!!!!!!  Should arm No.4 be a full length arm for passenger trains to run to the bay?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Thanks to Mike for reviewing the drawings. As we discussed the drawing will show signal No.4 as a 3ft arm for now so that it reflects the current state of the model.

So here are the final versions with some minor tweaks and also the PDF version, which you can zoom or scale to any size you want without loss of quality. I hope the main fonts used, "Railway" and "Lato", work OK on your machine. (The other font used, "Technical", might not work but it's less important.)

post-32492-0-66455600-1517773365_thumb.png

[Click to enlarge]

Sproston 10.pdf

I'm glad you like the drawings - it was fun doing them!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

Thanks Phil, have just downloaded and saved it all (windows 7) .Printed of a copy using ADOBE ,looks nice...Next job will be to fix a copy of it to a separate panel, for attaching to my control panel for the layout - smiles all round!!

Your a star!

Regards

Steve.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been slightly distracted by a little station called Llanglydwen recently!

In this thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132634-llanglydwen-on-the-cardi-bach-line/, there are some drawings of this station that were done in a slightly different way than usual.

The starting point for these was to import bitmaps of different vintage maps from old-maps.co.uk, align them to each other and set them to exact scale by knowing that the square grid on later OS 1:2500 maps are 100m on a side.

Then I traced the relevant features from the maps onto different layers in the drawing, reconciling the maps of different periods with the photos that had inspired me. It was very interesting to see buildings come and go and to find places where later cartographers had corrected earlier mistakes.

This could be a lovely little layout - very heavy on the scenery and quirky architecture but hopefully with just enough railway operations to be interesting.

Edited by Harlequin

I have been slightly distracted by a little station called Llanglydwen recently!

In this thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132634-llanglydwen-on-the-cardi-bach-line/, there are some drawings of this station that were done in a slightly different way than usual.

The starting point for these was to import map bitmaps of different vintages from old-maps.co.uk, align them to each other and set them to exact scale by knowing that the square grid on later OS 1:2500 maps are 100m on a side.

Then I traced the relevant features from the maps onto different layers in the drawing, reconciling the maps of different periods with the photos that had inspired me. It was very interesting to see buildings come and go and to find places where later cartographers had corrected earlier mistakes.

This could be a lovely little layout - very heavy on the scenery and quirky architecture but hopefully with just enough railway and operations to be interesting.

This is a beautiful layout design, Phil! It's fascinating when all the research comes together. I love old large scale maps and old photographs, as well.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

• RMweb Gold

This is a beautiful layout design, Phil! It's fascinating when all the research comes together. I love old large scale maps and old photographs, as well.

Marlyn

Thanks Marlyn!

It's fascinating to think of a model layout bringing those old monochrome photos and very rational maps back to life. We can invest them with colour, light, movement, even sound now, and a little bit of humour. (Did you read the bit about drivers nipping off for a swift pint in the Pen-y-bont Inn? There must be a way to model that somehow...)

Thanks Marlyn!

It's fascinating to think of a model layout bringing those old monochrome photos and very rational maps back to life. We can invest them with colour, light, movement, even sound now, and a little bit of humour. (Did you read the bit about drivers nipping off for a swift pint in the Pen-y-bont Inn? There must be a way to model that somehow...)

I hadn't checked all the 'Disused Stations' link detail! Chris Nevard often has a small pub/inn in a number of his small layouts, the absence of loco crew and abandoned shunter telling the story... Do you manage to model many of your layouts, Phil? You obviously enjoy the design process.

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't checked all the 'Disused Stations' link detail! Chris Nevard often has a small pub/inn in a number of his small layouts, the absence of loco crew and abandoned shunter telling the story... Do you manage to model many of your layouts, Phil? You obviously enjoy the design process.

Marlyn

I have to sheepishly admit that since coming back to the hobby I have designed many layouts but not yet actually created one.

The dining table is covered in track, including a three-siding inglenook, and I'm accumulating new rolling stock.

I am in the process of making open-frame baseboards for a test track, though...

• Like 2