A little slice of Rufford

James Harrison

Thanks!  (Thank you for clarifying about it fitting in the box too.)

It's getting there; I've found rather a nice photograph in one of my GCR books of 'loading in progress' in a freight yard, so lots of little details to add.  I never knew there was a lot of straw strewn around in these places, but now that I do it's going on the model!

I'm currently working on some figures which is a bit of a long process, going on one coat of paint each day and being able to work on two figures at a time (my little stand only holds two figures!)

I'm anticipating having it all finished with plenty of time in hand.  (He says, touching wood).

Thank you!

For one element of the final touches, I'm at a point where I'm happy to show them. 

42918518414_7d213530f1_b.jpg

Some figures from the A C Stadden range.  I've never painted figures before so probably got the method completely wrong, but I'm quite happy with them.  I started off with a few overall coats of a dark grey (it was supposed to be a dark blue...), and once I had got what I thought to be a good covering (ie- no shiny bits left) I worked over with the detail colours.  I'm not sure I can put any more detail into them than this, I was using the smallest brush I have and achieving the result I have was rather pushing it.

For fitting them to the diorama I've ordered some tacky wax. 

Now, for some crates and boxes and whatnot...

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sure that a few details ie figures etc. will round the model off nicely. And as for the "paint job" on the figures, it looks fine to me, this is a task I've often found tricky in the past, best way I find is just to take my time, while a very fine brush or sometimes a cocktail stick can also be very helpful! And re the matter of detail, again this looks fine, theres always a temptation to put in too much detail than may be actually required, so as watercolour painting is another of my pastimes, I tend to go by the watercolour rule re detail that "less is more" if you take my meaning - hope this all helps! :)

I found a photograph in one of George Dow's books showing the sort of detritus you migth reasonably find around a goods yard. 

29836479238_c89ec94260_b.jpg

What surprised me most I think was the odd bits of straw strewn around; to mop up any spillages, I guess. 

42990979034_87a0a046d1_b.jpg

I replicated this with balsa wood shavings.  It's one of those things where to put any down, you need to almost bury the model with the stuff, then remove the excess until you're happy.  Most of it in this photo has been removed now.  You might also notice that the figures have been fitted; I used tacky wax for these but it seems one or two might be a little top heavy as they keep falling over.  I might use UHU on those if they will insist on the drunken act. 

Just a few crates now I think and then the edges need cleaning up!- they started to warp so I had to cut them in places to take the warp out. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

42323126760_5a376d4f12_b.jpg

"'ere Bert, wot's this lot then?"

"Boss sez he wants 'em shifting, 'Arry.  Double-quick an' all, District Inspector's mekkin his rounds in half hour."

"Is 'e havin' a laugh? 'E does know I'm on me break in fifteen minutes?"

"Just tellin' you wot the Boss tol' me, 'Arry.  'Ere, give me that chit will you?  Aww, Chris' sakes, no."

"Wot is it Bert?"

"These am to go up to the Big House.  'Property of Bertie van Tahn' it sez 'ere.  Last time him and that Clovis chap came to visit one o' em kicked up hell of a stink.  Surprised the Squire's invited him back.  Wonder wot 'e'll do this time...."

(With apologies to Mr H H Munro)

~~~

I (finally) got around to making the packing crates, which were the last big (ish) job on the model.  So.... it is, just about, finished. 

• Like 3