Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peco LK-35 Yard Crane

Can anybody please tell me what the effective radius of operation is i.e. the distance from the base of the upright to a vertical down from the hook?

And what sort of a safe working load would the prototype of that crane have had?

Looking at the website picture, the angle of the jib to the horizontal is about 40º, so with a jib length given as 148.5mm, the radius of operation would be some 114mm.  It looks a light crane and long jib, so I doubt it would be capable of lifting more than 2t safely.

Thank you for that!  Hmmm.  I'm really after a steam-era yard crane in 00 which would look plausible when threatening to lift a BD container.  Anybody know if there is such a thing?

With a fixed crane you are not (or a lot less) reliant on having a counterweight, so a surprisingly flimsy crane can support quite a reasonable load - I  there is a really large iron casting underground that does the same function as tree roots. This example at the MRC Butterley its'nt planted and shows it quite well - this example is 5t - alas to take the same photos this year pe prepared to take a machete with you.

post-336-0-82908200-1507656255.jpg

post-336-0-58049300-1507656256_thumb.jpg

post-336-0-23555300-1507656257.jpg

Thank you for that!  Hmmm.  I'm really after a steam-era yard crane in 00 which would look plausible when threatening to lift a BD container.  Anybody know if there is such a thing?

Without knowing the detail of the prototype it wouldn't surprise me if a BD was within its capability a couple of similar cranes just about squeeze into frames on this thread, a crane that can't lift the 'traffic of the district' isn't really much use!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64948-traditional-container-traffic-photos-from-the-nrm/page-1 

Jon

With a fixed crane you are not (or a lot less) reliant on having a counterweight, so a surprisingly flimsy crane can support quite a reasonable load - I  there is a really large iron casting underground that does the same function as tree roots. This example at the MRC Butterley its'nt planted and shows it quite well - this example is 5t - alas to take the same photos this year pe prepared to take a machete with you.

attachicon.gifyardcrane001.jpg

attachicon.gifyardcrane002.jpg

attachicon.gifyardcrane003.jpg

I think that is a Midland Heavy yard crane, considerably stouter and with shorter jib than the Peco offering.  Lift radius makes a very big difference to crane lifting capacity.

Without knowing the detail of the prototype it wouldn't surprise me if a BD was within its capability a couple of similar cranes just about squeeze into frames on this thread, a crane that can't lift the 'traffic of the district' isn't really much use!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64948-traditional-container-traffic-photos-from-the-nrm/page-1 

Jon

Jon

Just looked it up, and according to Midland Wagons Vol 2, Gross weight of a BD container is 5.8t (Tare 1.8t, 4t Payload), so even the Midland Heavy crane might be in trouble if having to deal with a fully laden BD!  Its surprising how weak and feeble a lot of railway yard cranes were!

Jon

Thanks for posting that, Jon.  The crane in the second photo in post 10 of that thread does indeed look very much like Mike's Models' Midland Heavy Yard Crane, which is good because that's what I ordered half an hour ago.  I love the way they've had to use the shortest chains possible on the container and wind it up hard against the jib to get a foot or so clearance over the wagon ...

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting that, Jon. The crane in the second photo in post 10 of that thread does indeed look very much like Mike's Models' Midland Heavy Yard Crane, which is good because that's what I ordered half an hour ago. I love the way they've had to use the shortest chains possible on the container and wind it up hard against the jib to get a foot or so clearance over the wagon ...

Which is why 3 plank wagons were marked with 'not to be loaded with containers', at least LMS ones were. I wonder how many loads got sent back to another goods shed to transfer the load

to a more suitable vehicle?

Must be a reason for the requirement of such labelling!

• Like 1

Which is why 3 plank wagons were marked with 'not to be loaded with containers', at least LMS ones were. I wonder how many loads got sent back to another goods shed to transfer the load

Post #11 shows containers loaded on 3 plank wagons, which were usually dropside anyway.

There were 2 GWR 3 plank wagons built for container traffic. These had a door in fixed sides. Perhaps the above explains why there were only two!

Peco portrayed this wagon in their 'Wonderful Wagon' range (not very well IMHO) and fictitious examples in the other three liveries. There was also a BR version, but I don't know if it was numbered as a Western Region wagon.

I can recall seeing a container loaded in a 5 plank wagon....

I wonder how often that was disobeyed, or was it only for fixed side 3 plank wagons?  Top right cover photo of LMS Wagons Vol 2 has a type A container in a 3 plank LMS dropside wagon (and a substantial crane)..............