Dapol O gauge Jinty 3F with Zimo sound, lights, crew etc.

John YouChoos

Thought I'd share an example install of the new Dapol O gauge Jinty 3F model, so you have a good idea of what kit works well and is practical.

There's actually a lot more potential with the model and plenty of space to play with, but for great results and an easy approach, this is the kit I'd suggest:

MX644D Zimo decoder (YouChoos Jinty 3F sounds of course!)

Zimo dual-Dumbo LS40X22X09 (2W/4ohm)

In addition, a decent stay-alive is possible, the easiest being a cheap electrolytic 2200uF capacitor, which will fit in the boiler with the Dumbo speaker, very easily.  My example below has a pair of these capacitors in parallel giving a decent 4400uF backup.

The install of the above kit is a piece of cake and only takes a few minutes... the longest part is wiring up the speaker and stay-alive!

I decided to add some of our YouChoos bi-colour lamps too, along with hand painted/weathered crew from ModelU (brilliant figures BTW!), and some proper coal in the bunker.

Fab model Dapol - well done!

A few pictures below, but full install guide available here:
http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=ODapolJinty

The bits (didn't use the ModelU lamps BTW):

ODapolJinty-07.jpg

Dumbo speaker and pair of 2200uF caps:

ODapolJinty-12.jpg

speaker and cap in the boiler, secured with Black Tack, wires to the board:

ODapolJinty-15.jpg

Wiring for lamps (front is white/red directional on FKey0 and rear lamp is on F12 directional using FA2 and FA3 on the decoder).  FA1 is already in use with the model's built in firebox light:

O3F-13.jpg

Road test:

O3F-22.jpg

Sweet:

O3F-38.jpg

Enjoy!

John

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing this John.  Mines on the way in DC config.  I know what sound decoder I want, as you indicate, but I wasn't sure about the speaker(s).  The Zimo decoder comes with Stay Alive (at least those I bought previously did) so I'll use that.  The loco is sprung I assume, as the Terrier is, so that should keep all the wheels on the rails.   Interesting job with the lamps.

I have two crew painted up, one set is ModelU, the other is Monty's Models.  I think I prefer Monty's because the facial features are more pronounced and easier to put shadows in.  Not that my efforts are anything to write home about, but they'll do.

John

Edited by brossard