The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sushi Shinkansen

dhjgreen

• RMweb Premium

Enyone fancy Sushi Shinkansen. Form the rice with the white mould and create the detailing by cutting roasted seaweed with the blue cutter. Hey presto!

Edit, only JR East obv :sungum:

post-25365-0-53917100-1508678914.jpg

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

At least one other member also has experienced the country, there may be others that have yet to 'come out of the closet' on this matter ;)

My name is David and I have eaten Sashimi in Japan on many occasions; and Sushi and Tempura and Shabu Shabu and.......

Edit, Some weird Octopus street food in Osaka under the Sakura, happy days

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1

One of Japan's greatest fast-food creations was (and is) their version of McDonalds: MOS Burger - so much lighter and more digestible than Maccy Ds. I really liked their Natsumi Fish. They still haven't seen fit to open up in UK/Europe, though, which is a real shame. They could certainly show the fast-food giants here a thing or two.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One of Japan's greatest fast-food creations was (and is) their version of McDonalds: MOS Burger - so much lighter and more digestible than Maccy Ds. I really liked their Natsumi Fish. They still haven't seen fit to open up in UK/Europe, though, which is a real shame. They could certainly show the fast-food giants here a thing or two.

I love MOS Burger - their kaisen kakiage (tempura prawns and veg in a rice bun) is a thing of greatness...

I love MOS Burger - their kaisen kakiage (tempura prawns and veg in a rice bun) is a thing of greatness...

They have branches in Singapore, which is where I got to try their offerings for the first time. So light! So digestible compared to the American rubbish!

After that, I was absolutely convinced they should think about opening up in London. It would probably work best in Ealing because there is a sizeable expatriate Japanese community resident here.

Japan is both bizarre and wonderful...

If you want an example of bizarre then Google "Hello Kitty Toilet".

I have a photograph some where but can't find it.

A knowledge of the complex nature of Japanese toilet facilities would help in understanding just what it can do.

Regarding Japanese food. There is an excellent shop by Piccadilly Circus selling the most wonderful items including a vast range of Sake.

When I went to Japan I was told to ask for the Japanese menu on the flight as it was far superior to the European version.

You can now get Japanese Wagu beef in the UK. Expensive, but a cheaper version exists that uses an Aberdeen Angus Wagu cross breed. You can even buy the burgers in Aldi at certain times.

Bernard

If you want an example of bizarre then Google "Hello Kitty Toilet".

I have a photograph some where but can't find it.

A knowledge of the complex nature of Japanese toilet facilities would help in understanding just what it can do.

Japan is one of the main contributors to the World Toilet Conference.

Regarding Japanese food. There is an excellent shop by Piccadilly Circus selling the most wonderful items including a vast range of Sake.

When I went to Japan I was told to ask for the Japanese menu on the flight as it was far superior to the European version.

You can now get Japanese Wagu beef in the UK. Expensive, but a cheaper version exists that uses an Aberdeen Angus Wagu cross breed. You can even buy the burgers in Aldi at certain times.

Bernard

You're probably thinking of the Japan Centre in Panton Street.

There used to be (in the 1970s/80s) quite a lively row of Japanese shops in Finchley Central because that's where much of the ex-pat Japanese community (especially those on business tours of duty, having been sent as UK representatives by their companies) lived at the time. They also had the Japanese School in Camden Town. They later moved into Ealing and are still here. There are quite a few Japanese businesses dotted around including Okawari, and "Wa" the Japanese patisserie and coffee shop; I particularly recommend their melt-in-the-mouth cakes, so much better than the heavy stuff put out by Starbucks/Caffe Nero/any other bloody coffee shop!!!

Japanese cuisine - and especially their bakery / patisserie style - is generally very light, to suit their particular digestive needs. In the years when the Yaohan Plaza was in operation between Colindale and Burnt Oak, one of the shops in it was a bakery called Yamazaki. Their output was melt-in-the-mouth stuff; so light! Their various types of bread were so much softer than what you would find in the average UK supermarket. Long gone now, as is the Yaohan Plaza.

Also note that some of the apparently Japanese restaurant chains like Wasabi, Itsu and Wagamama are not in fact Japanese! :nono:  Wasabi was created by a South Korean, Wagamama was founded by a Hong Kong-born Norfolkman called Alan Yau, and Itsu is British (started by Julian Metcalfe, the same bloke who gave us Prat-a-Manger)!

If you are in Ludlow, Koo is worth a try. A small restaurant only open for a couple of hours 4 days a week. The owner replied to my few words of Japanese.

Sushi Masa is a tiny Japanese-run restaurant down the road from Willesden Green tube station. Once got voted (one of the) top five restaurants in London; it was already difficult to get a seat there, and it became even more difficult after the vote!