Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

6 Lochs Land Cruise DMU specials 1960s

Signaller69

I believe these DMU trains ran mainly from Glasgow Buchanan Street via the Callander & Oban route, but what was the exact route - did they reach Oban or simply reverse at Crianlarich using the C&O / West Highland connection (a photo by Irishswissernie on Picssr shows such a train coming off the Oban Line into Crianlarrich: https://goo.gl/images/9YqjUo ).

Also I have read that a Class 126 unit operated this service on at least one occasion, are there any photos of this out there? Would love to see them if so? I have seen several photos of 6 car trains formed of standard Met-Cam, Derby, Cravens etc units but not the 126s.

Thanks for any pointers!

Martyn.

post-1654-0-24554900-1509056339_thumb.jpeg

I believe these DMU trains ran mainly from Glasgow Buchanan Street via the Callander & Oban route, but what was the exact route - did they reach Oban or simply reverse at Crianlarich using the C&O / West Highland connection (a photo by Irishswissernie on Picssr shows such a train coming off the Oban Line into Crianlarrich: https://goo.gl/images/9YqjUo ).

Also I have read that a Class 126 unit operated this service on at least one occasion, are there any photos of this out there? Would love to see them if so? I have seen several photos of 6 car trains formed of standard Met-Cam, Derby, Cravens etc units but not the 126s.

Thanks for any pointers!
Martyn.

Can't help with the train pic, but I have this poster in my collection.

Edited by roythebus

• RMweb Gold

One of the problems was that 126s were a separate traction competence from the rest of DMUs. The DMU course I had was for diesel mechanical multiple units class 100 to 128 except 126 strange that it included the hydraulic 127 not that I ever encountered one

• Like 1

One of the problems was that 126s were a separate traction competence from the rest of DMUs. The DMU course I had was for diesel mechanical multiple units class 100 to 128 except 126 strange that it included the hydraulic 127 not that I ever encountered one

Thanks Russ, I thought it unusual, moreso in view of your information; it certainly sounds surprising that one is reputed to have been used (as mentioned on the Railcar page here: http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-126/operations ).

Thanks,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

There is some route information under the class 105 page on the railcar website.

"Easter Monday '59 saw the ScR operate the famed 'Six Lochs Diesel Land Cruise' from Glasgow Buchanan St. via Callander, Killin and Crainlarich to Glasgow Queen St. Low Level. It was composed of four 105 twins, and proved so popular that a relief had to be provided, comprised of a further two sets and a Met-Camm, and they ran the circuit in the opposite direction, via Balornock and Partick West, but did not call in at Killin.

On Sunday 12th June '59 a 'Six Lochs Diesel Land Cruise' ran from Ayr and stations to Dalry. It was composed of two Met-Camms and one Craven twin. This apparently was not to the liking of a few passengers who expected one of Ayr's Inter-City sets which mainly sat idle on a Sunday.

On the 20th June '59 the 'Six Lochs Diesel Land Cruise' was operated by four Cravens twins, running from Strathaven via Helensburgh.

The 'Six Lochs Diesel Land Cruise' actually ran every summer Sunday that year, running from Glasgow to Callander, Killin and Crainlarich, although the sets used week to week could vary. The fare of 10/- made it very popular, and even in bad weather two trains were required. the normal motive power was four twin sets for each train, supplied by Hamilton."

There is also a route schematic here showing the six lochs passed. It seems Crianlarich was a reversal point, to gain access south from the C & O Jct.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x2LGCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT143&lpg=PT143&dq=six+lochs+land+cruise&source=bl&ots=lhUy1vJjIC&sig=_at4F5bFY9Jq06jSkbs7C7jweLY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBoo_YjZDXAhVBORoKHWwPCd8Q6AEIYDAP#v=onepage&q=six%20lochs%20land%20cruise&f=false

Thanks for the informative replies all, The Bradford Barton book "Diesels on Scottish Region" has half a dozen images of various DMU 8 car combinations (no 126 though), one of which notes it stabled between Killin and Loch Tay, with another showing the Killin branch train shunted out of the way at Killin (Std class 4 tank).

The link I posted in the first post (on Google images search for "6 Lochs Land Cruise - about the only rail related image that comes up) doesn't seem to work, but notes that particular Lanscruise originated at Grangemouth.

On a West Highland side note, DMU's also provided a summer Craigendoran - Arrochar & Tarbet shuttle in the early 60s after the steam push-pull service finished (latterly worked by elderly Reid C15 4-4-2T locos).

Keep it coming guys!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Most drivers in the Scottish central belt would have been trained on these so that would explain how they got around.

The later 5xxxx series had the same driving controls as blue square stock but the 79xxx stock from the earlier series had yellow diamond controls but were compatible with each other

Having now seen a thoroughly interesting (and informative) "Railway Bylines" article, it turns out a new "Ayrshire Inter City" unit was used on 10th July 1960, when the 6 Lochs started from Ayr, owing to grumbles about the Cravens units on a previous trip.

Among the photos I was also surprised to see a 3-car Class 120 used for a 6 Lochs train on another occasion.

These trains were clearly a success often with Clockwise and anti clockwise trains on the same day.

My thanks go to "DOCJACOB".

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a few photos of the sets used but they always seemed to be made up of a couple of units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36796385831/in/album-72157688374962505/

That's not to say Class 126s weren't used, it's just that I've not noticed them.

For a period a power car from one of the units was stabled in the goods sidings at Killin, presumably due to a mechanical failure.

As the 6 Loch's Tour was the only time DMUs went to Killin, I am presuming it is form one of the tours that didn't quite go to plan!

• 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, design8027 said:

Any class 108s ever make it over the C & O?

Given that the SCR only looks to have got an allocation of 108s in the late 1980's then probably no. SCR got 26 sets of Class 107 which were the heavy weight equivalents to the later headbox fitted 108s

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, design8027 said:

Any class 108s ever make it over the C & O?

Only seen photos of class 100, 101, 105 and 107 (and one or two of the occasion(s) a Class 126 was used, via other sources). As Bomag says 108s were not used in the area at the time of the Landcruise trains.

11 hours ago, design8027 said:

So could use a Bachmann class 108 possing as a 107?

I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid; Bachmann did a version of their 108 as a Strathclyde liveried 107 in any case so there is a precedent!