Suburban coach livery - late 30's and through the War.

I'd really appreciate some wisdom here!

Am I correct in thinking that an all-over dark brown livery for suburbans was not uncommon during this period? Presumably with a 'Shirtbutton'?

Or is it just further evidence of bewilderment?

Many thanks, as ever...

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Michael Harris (GW Coaches : 1890 - 1954) says that apart from passenger luggage vans, which were brown from about 1935, the brown and cream remained in use, until the cream paint supplies ran out in the war. 'From 1942 a standard wartime livery, described as a red brown, was introduced' with a single bronze waist line..

Michael Harris (GW Coaches : 1890 - 1954) says that apart from passenger luggage vans, which were brown from about 1935, the brown and cream remained in use, until the cream paint supplies ran out in the war. 'From 1942 a standard wartime livery, described as a red brown, was introduced' with a single bronze waist line..

That'll do !

Thanks all for the replies. Bewilderment is clearly on hold for the time being...

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The number of coaches repainted in 1942-5 brown was comparatively small.

A valid point. I should think that the minimum of non-essential painting was done and things would have got shabbier and shabbier. So weathering skills needed!

Here's a photo from 1946 - I think that the second coach could have been brown & cream  (Edit - the more I look at it the more I think that the first coach could be an even dirtier brown and cream. There definitely seem to be two shades there. I initially put that down to the light falling differently on the vertical upper half and the curved lower part. Now I am not so sure.)

Ex Taff Vale 409 Cardiff 21.9.1946

post-14351-0-60987500-1509184706_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3