Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Power for the Night Riviera

KeithHC

• RMweb Premium

As a regular user of the train in both seated and sleeping accommodation I am happy with the present motive power though there is no margin for failure away from the two ends of the run. If a 57 suts down at Taunton any sort of help might be several hours away these days. No longer can you whistle up the spare crew and what ever is on shed at Newton Abbot, Exeter or Bristol. Not even Laira has a locomotive available. Such failures are extremely rare however.

Overnight trains are timed at 80mph maximum (not 75) though dispensation can be given to run up to line speed in the event time needs to be made up. That probably happens more often on the “Caley” sleepers than our “Beds” for which at least on the down run there is already a couple of hours station time built in.

I have travelled overnight (again in sleepers and on the cushions) behind some noisy types but that seldom affects my ability to sleep. Up to Culloden with a pair of 26s on the Inverness - London, load 14, was quite stirring however as was the 37 from Crianlarich up Glen Falloch albeit with only six on. I have made countless overnight trips between London and Cornwall with motive power ranging from classes 41-43 Warships through the class 52 Western era, then the 47s and finally the 50s. None has been responsible for undue amounts of lost sleep due to noise even when the stock was Mk1 and the toplight windows sometimes open.

So if the 57s were to be replaced I would place reliability above other considerations. If suitable power vans were provided (similar to the West Highland ETHELs) then even a class 66 could haul. They have both power and speed enough and are widely spread meaning a failure might be easier to rescue. Power vans are expensive heavy luxuries however and the experience with the ETHELs wasn’t altogether satisfactory. Interesting possibility though.

• Like 1

So if the 57s were to be replaced I would place reliability above other considerations. If suitable power vans were provided (similar to the West Highland ETHELs) then even a class 66 could haul. They have both power and speed enough and are widely spread meaning a failure might be easier to rescue. Power vans are expensive heavy luxuries however and the experience with the ETHELs wasn’t altogether satisfactory. Interesting possibility though.

There's a whole bunch of MK3 DVTs about to be coming off lease in the relatively near future, and we know that some of those have previously been successfully rebuilt with ETS generators plus AAR push pull equipment. These would also still have some decent amount of luggage space as well even after conversion.

• RMweb Premium

As an aside, today is the first day the Sleeper stock is berthing at Reading TCD. 5A40 Paddington - Reading TCD is on the approach to Reading as I type this. At the moment it will only be TWThO, going full time when the Oak finally closes.

• RMweb Premium

A good day to have an extra move through the signalling problems at Ealing Broadway! The service is already thinned out to cope. Added to which the up Hind terminated at Plymouth well over an hour late around 8am. Not a good day on the Go When Ready.

As a regular user of the train in both seated and sleeping accommodation I am happy with the present motive power though there is no margin for failure away from the two ends of the run. If a 57 suts down at Taunton any sort of help might be several hours away these days. No longer can you whistle up the spare crew and what ever is on shed at Newton Abbot, Exeter or Bristol. Not even Laira has a locomotive available. Such failures are extremely rare however.

Overnight trains are timed at 80mph maximum (not 75) though dispensation can be given to run up to line speed in the event time needs to be made up. That probably happens more often on the “Caley” sleepers than our “Beds” for which at least on the down run there is already a couple of hours station time built in.

I have travelled overnight (again in sleepers and on the cushions) behind some noisy types but that seldom affects my ability to sleep. Up to Culloden with a pair of 26s on the Inverness - London, load 14, was quite stirring however as was the 37 from Crianlarich up Glen Falloch albeit with only six on. I have made countless overnight trips between London and Cornwall with motive power ranging from classes 41-43 Warships through the class 52 Western era, then the 47s and finally the 50s. None has been responsible for undue amounts of lost sleep due to noise even when the stock was Mk1 and the toplight windows sometimes open.

A 66 would be a bit slow on the penzance , tops out at 75 I think

• RMweb Premium

There's a whole bunch of MK3 DVTs about to be coming off lease in the relatively near future, and we know that some of those have previously been successfully rebuilt with ETS generators plus AAR push pull equipment. These would also still have some decent amount of luggage space as well even after conversion.

what about generator vans similar to the converted BGs that were used with the scottish sleepers years ago? (presumably a lighter, more compact genset would be possible now)

are any of those still in use with the private 'charter' fleets? - iirc they were in the 63xx number series

• RMweb Premium

A 66 would be a bit slow on the penzance , tops out at 75 I think

So you adjust the intermediate calling point times and if necessary trim the stand time at Exeter and Plymouth. End-to-end is currently around 8 hours down (9 hours for the Sunday night departure) and not much less on the up. Currently timed to 80mph maximum.

Thanks to my role, i can say nothing is changing until around half way through next long term franchise. Coach refurbishment designed to last 10 years so expect new coaches then and as the 57s would be dated by then, then expect a traction change.

You didn't hear anything from mind.

Edited by Co-tr-Paul