RMweb

Whose sound would you recommend

TerrySVR

• RMweb Premium

I have been wondering the same. I don’t think there is a perfect match out there but I have compared the suppliers sound samples with you tube videos of the real thing. There is an element of personal preference and judgement required on this one.

SW Digital list a Duchess sound file, but it is a generic compilation (so not an actual recording) and I haven’t heard it.

Olivia’s Trains list an available file but give no information or sample.

You Choos also do one, They have a sound sample of it you can listen to, the whistle is nice but the chuff is a bit too staccato, to my ears at least.

The Locoman Black Five seems to offer a closer sounding chuff, to my uneducated ears anyway. Video available on You Tube. I might stick one of those in 46256 for now, until a higher fidelity recording of the real thing comes along.

Phil

Edited by Chamby

• RMweb Premium

Appreciate the responses I suspect like everyone I would prefer a bespoke sound although I struggle to remember their sound in service

. There are a number of video recordings available if you google Duchess of Hamilton.

I have posted a pic of my provisional sound installation in #907 of the Hornby Duchess thread. It’s not my optimum install but sounds good enough for now!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I would also like one to match the quality of Sir William Stanier who arrived today.

Given the lack of response its just too tempting to say that the answer must be to wait for the City of Birmingham TTS version

:jester:    

I can guarantee that anything from the main suppliers (SWD, Digitrains, Locoman etc) will be better than TTS if only because TTS can't sync with the loco's motion. Unless you actually have  a model of Tebay or Shap you arn't going to need a Duchess at full chat. A Duchess, being very much more powerful than most LMS (and all other lesser railways loco's )  needs a project that is quite restrained as these loco's rarely worked to their maximum in the sort of scenarios most of us model. A decent project of anything with  4 beats per wheel revolution, a Stanier hooter and other "LMSness'  should suffice 

Has anyone used YouChoos sounds. I've bought some stuff from them & their service is exemplary. I'm after a sound scheme for my Heljan DP2 (Class 50) Any thoughts or opinions?

Edited by mkrob

• RMweb Premium

Have been pondering the same thing (sound for a Coronation that is). Thus far I have listened to the Mr Soundguy installation and the Youchoos samples. Someone also suggested installing a 2-6-4t sound file (Fairburn/Stanier) from Youchoos. As always sounds are pretty subjective. My opinions for what they are worth are:- The 2-6-4t sound had plenty of depth of sound but did not sound enough like a Duchess to convince me to buy one. The Mr Soundguy chip was very good, whistle was a bit pathetic. Youchoos Duchess/Coronation sound was probably the best compromise of sounds. Like many steam sounds they tend to be a bit 'tinny' I.e. Not the full throated bark of some steam locos.

For my part I am going to hold out for a short while to see if Locoman produces a sound chip any time soon. I am also going to Warley where I will do a bit of investigation to see what is available before I buy.

There is a lot of variation in speakers.   I've put the same sound chip into two identical locos with different speakers, though not "that different" - one was a single diaphragm 3D printed Zimo, the other the double ended version.  Many listeners think they are different sound files and have asked me for the source for one or the other.   To my ears, one has too much deep bark, the other is "about right", but other people will think differently.   
With another loco on the same layout, I fitted one type of speaker (in proper enclosure, etc.), which were deemed very good. Until I fitted another loco with a different type of speaker and the first loco was then deemed "a bit weedy" and came back for a speaker replacement. 

And then there is the location of the speaker within the loco, how the sound gets out, does it bounce down off the track or not.  Does part of the body act as a sound resonator.    All of those can make the sound better/worse/different. 

So, I'd expect the speakers and their installation to be as important as the sound file used on the decoder.  

I think dcc sounds are a matter of personal opinion,plus a variety of numerous variables. For instance,which speaker to use & where to fit it. 

If people want to go down the EM speaker route that's up to them.

I personally think the Zimo Dumbo speakers are the way to go which ever retailer you get your sound scheme from.

Steam sounds seem to be the most difficult to replicate,but with locoman & wheeltappers concentrating on steam sounds, they will get better.

For me which ever sounds I get for my DP2, who can say " that doesn't sound right".

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone add to this thread? I bought a Digitrains ZS003a which I am reliably informed by My club memebers is excellent, and to my untrined ear it sounds superb.

However now there are a few on the market I wonder what opinion is regarding the closest to the real thing?

Can anyone add to this thread? I bought a Digitrains ZS003a which I am reliably informed by My club memebers is excellent, and to my untrined ear it sounds superb.

However now there are a few on the market I wonder what opinion is regarding the closest to the real thing?

A wise choice and you clearly belong to a club who's members know what's what. LOL.

'Realistic' sound is important but so too are the controls available to users. Being able to change from Heavy Train to Light Engine with a single key stroke is a feature of all Digitrains' ActiveDrive steam projects. This not only changes the sounds played but also inertia and momentum values to reflect the different dynamic characteristics which would apply in the real world.

The Digitrains' ActiveDrive Jinty sound project has sounds representing 4 different reverser positions, manually selected by the driver. This feature will be rolled out to other steam projects when time permits.

And the ZIMO Brake Key feature, pioneered in UK Steam sounds by Digitrains' ActiveDrive projects, by providing a progressive retardation effect on the motor gives a way to enjoy realistic, extended coasting whilst retaining the ability to stop the loco exactly where desired.

When comparing sound projects, take all the salient features into account since the project will have been created as a package. Then consider how easy it is for an end user to customise the project for their own installation/layout characteristics/driving technique without in-depth knowledge of the project or special equipment to enable this.

Digitrains' ActiveDrive projects deliver all this on new decoders for no more than the price of the decoder alone, and reblows for ZIMO decoders previously loaded with projects which do not come up to the mark for £15, then Digitrains is the logical place to shop (and it is a real shop that you can visit 6 days a week and play with their trains, not someone working out of a bedroom).

The final arbiter is the purchaser. Whether through experienced or untrained ears, if it sounds 'superb' to the owner, what does it matter that some may believe otherwise?

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 3