Southdown Queen Mary in Leeds...help with location

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if any RMweb members are able to help with this image I've recently acquired. I am trying to track down the location in Leeds and a better guess at the date it was taken. The pub behind and the road kill score board are very distictive.

The bus was new in 1964 so I guess its going to be winter 1964/5 date wise?

It also gives you an excuse to put a Queen Mary on a northern based layout!

p2604636031-4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if any RMweb members are able to help with this image I've recently acquired. I am trying to track down the location in Leeds and a better guess at the date it was taken. The pub behind and the road kill score board are very distictive.

The bus was new in 1964 so I guess its going to be winter 1964/5 date wise?

It also gives you an excuse to put a Queen Mary on a northern based layout!

I can't guess the date, but the location is right at the east end of Eastgate in the city centre.

The Queen Mary is parked on what is now a roundabout on the city centre loop in Leeds.  Hopefully this Google link will work;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7986622,-1.5363656,536m/data=!3m1!1e3

This street view image shows the large building behind the Queen Mary as it is today;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7986622,-1.5363656,3a,75y,281.56h,90.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXqTLS8BHcXXzenIophoNLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

HTH

• RMweb Premium

The bus would appear to be near-new so the winter of 64/5 is likely to be correct date-wise.  I don't have the records I once used to which included some vehicle histories for those which made unusually far-flung trips out of Southdown's normal area of influence so can't be more precise than that.

I have alerted SRman of this parish, Southdown expert that he is, to the topic.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both for your help. The location has been confirmed elsewhere too. Shame it’s largely gone...although the bus is still with us.

Edited by acg5324