RMweb

On site advertising. How is it driven?

Just curious to know what drives the advertising on RMweb.  

I can understand all the model railway content as that is a given, but I happened to order a reel of wire from Rapid Electronics two days ago and now find every other ad (so it seems) is for reels of wire from Rapid Electronics.

Of course I understand the basics of advertising and targeted adverts, but I started with a Google search for wire or for Rapid Electronics directly as I've bought from them before.  None of that was linked to RMweb, so the targeted advertising can only have come from those two sources.

What would have happened if I had bought something far more racy and exciting.... :D

Would RMweb pages then be full of ads for things I would rather keep to myself?

Needless to say I haven't, but curiosity started to get the better of me and I wondered how these links are made and does anything go through and appear in here without checking it's suitability for possible child audiences?

• RMweb Premium

Just curious to know what drives the advertising on RMweb.  

I can understand all the model railway content as that is a given, but I happened to order a reel of wire from Rapid Electronics two days ago and now find every other ad (so it seems) is for reels of wire from Rapid Electronics.

Of course I understand the basics of advertising and targeted adverts, but I started with a Google search for wire or for Rapid Electronics directly as I've bought from them before.  None of that was linked to RMweb, so the targeted advertising can only have come from those two sources.

What would have happened if I had bought something far more racy and exciting.... :D

Would RMweb pages then be full of ads for things I would rather keep to myself?

Needless to say I haven't, but curiosity started to get the better of me and I wondered how these links are made and does anything go through and appear in here without checking it's suitability for possible child audiences?

I've recently been looking for a replacement laptop for Mrs.Mezzoman's old one. Yesterday I purchased one online that met my requirements. Since then I've been bombarded by ad's for, you guessed it, laptops of the type I bought. :no: 

Would I really buy another one straight after buying a new one? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The data gathering is clever, but the use of it has much to learn. Ebay has a lot to learn too.

Rob 

• RMweb Gold

but curiosity started to get the better of me and I wondered how these links are made and does anything go through and appear in here without checking it's suitability for possible child audiences?

Hi Gordon,

Only you are seeing ads for reels of wire. No-one else is seeing them, and RMweb doesn't know that you are seeing them. They simply sell the empty advertising slot on the page.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Or anyone looking at your computer, which could be a child, maybe?  So if your computer is not private, be careful!

Regards

Exactly.

Not had the problem with RMWeb but the French weather site I use picks up on the cookies deposited by the websites I have visited and drops an advertising banner based on them.

So if I visited Ikea looing for trestles (to support a layout) I get a banner with all Ikeas trestle offerings.  If I visited EasyJet I get their offerings of the day and I guess that if I looked on Amazon for life sized blow up dolls......................................

​