RMweb

powering a NCE DCC packet analyser

Trip

I bought a NCE DCC packet analyser to help debug a problem with turnouts intermittently failing to respond. I read the manual on NCE's site before buying it and sourced a DC power supply to fit into the 3.5mm jack on the unit.

However, the version of the analyser supplied does not have a 3.5mm socket and indeed the manual that came with it has references to it removed.

There are two other ways to power it and I'd like some advice on which to use:

1. From the track, using jumper sessions. This is not recommended, according to the manual, if there any chance that there is a "ground sneak path such as when a laptop is used". I have no idea what that means. I use a desktop PC connected to a DCS50 which powers the track using a Locobuffer. What's the 'ground sneak path' risk?

2. Via the NCE cab bus. This looks easy but there's no mention of what voltage the power supply should be. Given my recent record with 9v batteries I'm reluctant to plug something in there without being sure.

Any ideas?

Can't help with powering the device. 

However, can give you one bit of reassurance.  The LocoBuffer (assuming its a RR-Cirkits device, there are other variants of LocoBuffer) is optically isolated.  So there is no electrical path from the DCC system and LocoNet to the computer and USB lead.    So, the risks of the "ground sneak path" should be dealt with.  

I bought a NCE DCC packet analyser to help debug a problem with turnouts intermittently failing to respond. I read the manual on NCE's site before buying it and sourced a DC power supply to fit into the 3.5mm jack on the unit.

However, the version of the analyser supplied does not have a 3.5mm socket and indeed the manual that came with it has references to it removed.

There are two other ways to power it and I'd like some advice on which to use:

1. From the track, using jumper sessions. This is not recommended, according to the manual, if there any chance that there is a "ground sneak path such as when a laptop is used". I have no idea what that means. I use a desktop PC connected to a DCS50 which powers the track using a Locobuffer. What's the 'ground sneak path' risk?

2. Via the NCE cab bus. This looks easy but there's no mention of what voltage the power supply should be. Given my recent record with 9v batteries I'm reluctant to plug something in there without being sure.

Any ideas?

Hi,

This is just a guess but I would get/buy a NCE UTP Universal throttle panel and get a cab bus cable and the UTP power supply:

​"a DC power supply in to the 1/8

inch (3.5mm) plug on the back of the UTP. The tip of the plug is

positive (+) and the sleeve is negative. We recommend a “wall

wart” (the black box that hangs on your wall outlet) type supply in

the range of 12 to 14 volts DC with a capability of ½ to 1 Amp." (from the UTP guide).

I use a 12V 1Amp DC psu from CPC to provide extra power to a club layout's NCE Cab Bus.

Regards

Nick

If you use a laptop only on battery power then there will be no ground path to worry about.

I use a desktop PC which is plugged in, but it sound like the ground path thing is a non-issue because I'm using the rr-cikits Locobuffer.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

A friend and I both have the NCE Analyser - one of his had over heating problems when taking the power from the track - mine doesn't -  I have a series resistor in each leg from the track  - measuring with a multimeter suggests they are about 120k each   (used with a track voltage of  16Vdcc o-peak)

Nowadays this goes into a Serial to USB converter to reach the PC (usually a portable)

• RMweb Gold

Are you operating your points with NCE Switch8s? In which case you can have problems with them not responding if Railcom is enabled on your DCC Command Station. 

Edited by RFS