RMweb

Stanier 8f

MatthewCarty

• RMweb Gold

I've just received the email from Hornby saying that these have now arrived and are in stock! Has anyone bought one and can you give us a better idea of exactly what improvements have taken place to both the engine and tender? Thanks

Ignore my post 19... i was thinking to make one, however having seen it in the flesh I think it’s a good job, with some research behind it to make it more accurate. (I am lead to believe this work may have been done some time ago but took a while to reach the catalog).

Anyways, the guys at Derails have this for £111 so I’ve pre-ordered/paid with them.

As soon as it comes i’ll Drop a picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ignore my post 19... i was thinking to make one, however having seen it in the flesh I think it’s a good job, with some research behind it to make it more accurate. (I am lead to believe this work may have been done some time ago but took a while to reach the catalog).

Anyways, the guys at Derails have this for £111 so I’ve pre-ordered/paid with them.

As soon as it comes i’ll Drop a picture.

So are you saying that this 8F so long out of the catalogue has been subject to an upgraded tooling ?

It would be good if it were an improved tooling for this model, however this does not appear to be the case from official Hornby and other pictures from the Warley show.

The mechanism is still visible on the boiler section which is a bit old hat in this day and age.

Maybe we will have a new model from Hornby very soon. Personally I'll wait for something better detailed.

• RMweb Gold

So are you saying that this 8F so long out of the catalogue has been subject to an upgraded tooling ?

If you look at the loco, the AWS Battery box, Footplate air tanks, and the Fowler tender are all upgrades to the base tooling.. its not a new tooling but mods have been made since the 8F and the Fowler tender were last seen. You'll note the 8F chassis now has the plug to the tender (which previous 8Fs did not have either), so the chassis must have some mods too.

When I asked, I was told the changes were tooled by Sanda Kan years ago but not released, I was also told of another loco that hasn't been seen for a while and informed it too was alive safe and well and could pop up again (but that one isnt my place to share).

Edited by adb968008

You wouldn't be referring to the mythical Clan Class which Hornby claimed had been lost at Sanda kan would you ????

I hope not!  I have jealously guarded my one remaining Clan in the confident expectation of great riches when I sell it!

Same with my dozen Bachmann LMS Compounds....       and Hornby weathered B17s...   :)

You wouldn't be referring to the mythical Clan Class which Hornby claimed had been lost at Sanda kan would you ????

There aren't many classes which haven't been produced since Sanda Kan, the only others I can think of is the GWR tender 2-8-0s and the Rebuilt Patriot.

Edited by MatthewCarty

• RMweb Gold

I hope not!  I have jealously guarded my one remaining Clan in the confident expectation of great riches when I sell it!

Same with my dozen Bachmann LMS Compounds....       and Hornby weathered B17s...    :)

Bachmann compounds must be a very long term investment then  :no:

No changes to the 4000 gallon Stanier tender from what I can see. It is still sporting the 'skirt' around the bottom of the tank/top of the frames area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Playing the long game? Ah well, fortunately I really enjoy a well-made model, so I'm still happy.

Cheers

I don’t get that with the compound, I have 4 (well 6 after Warley). They are excellent runners, very well detailed in many senses one of Bachmanns best locos.

Yet for some reason they are still on the shelves in the bargain bins years later. I think their initial release price was a headline shocker at the time, though today that price is considered ok, and the bargain price at Hattons £79 is a bargain. At Warley this weekend as a spare Fowler Non-rivet head visible DCC ready tender, in Black with late logo is was worth it for the tender alone (crab, mogul, jubilee, patriot etc). I’ll probably remove the cylinders and crossheads back to a basic 4-4-0 and use the chassis in a Triang L1 (which was converted to an North Staffs Raikway 4-4-0 in the 1970s).

No changes to the 4000 gallon Stanier tender from what I can see. It is still sporting the 'skirt' around the bottom of the tank/top of the frames area.

Coal Rails..on the Fowler tender of 48045. The Stanier tender on 8035 is the same as used on the Black 5, Patriot etc, with the speaker holes/fittings and DCC socket,

8035 does not have AWS / Airtanks etc, it’s in wartime graphite Black with gold letters, the only change I noted on this one was the fixed tender/chassis connection using the wiring plug, so presumable a chassis modification since the previous had the DCC chip on the loco chassis.

Looks unusual in this shade of black, definitely feels “war like”, but it’s not like 48045, it does kind of grow on you as you look at the graphite like finish, reflecting off the rivets and the dull gold letters.

Edited by adb968008

Interesting loco to tender coupling arrangement

Indeed, that's forced on Hornby as a legacy of their old loco to tender coupling screwed to the chassis block underside, the design of which dates from the 1970s when tender drive was introduced to the range. The tender, never designed to go with the 8F, (could it be an Airfix GMR or Mainline origin tooling?) had its loco to tender coupling in a far more realistic location, thus the necessity for a very bent piece of metal to connect the two. Hope the bent metal is stiff enough or there will be tenders off the rails when attempting reversing a heavy train load.

What this says is that the 8F has received no major upgrades, just some minor component rearrangements already mentioned. It does surprise me a little that Hornby having pushed the boat out with three GW and a pair of LNER group eight coupled freighters, didn't squeeze a new 8F into their programme. The loco body shell is decent enough that a new mechanism design to conceal the mechanism fully, and some infill into the boiler underside, would improve matters considerably. They have the CAD for the correct Stanier tender underframe on the new Duchess. So it wouldn't be hideously expensive to improve the 8F... As it is, in appearance it is the weakest of all the RTR eight coupled freighter models (of which we have a useful choice now, hurrah!).

I've just seen the new versions on sale in my local shop, they are quite nice but not really up to current standards.

I've got one of the super-detailed loco drive variants, complete with a Stanier tender and yellow cab strip.

The paint work on the newer model is much better being less shiny than mine with a nice satin finish.

Just found the receipt in the box, I paid £67 in July 2009 !

• Like 1

I’ve just tried to do a simple mod on 8035 by swapping the front pony truck with one from a 28xx it looks better but the wheels are a couple of mm off centre and the 13mm wheel catches the frame. I could try the 12mm 28xx wheel tomorrow but it doesn’t quite seem right.