RMweb

Middlewich Station

PaulWhitt20

Hi, First time posting here, so if this is in the wrong section please move to the correct section.

I have lived in Middlewich for 20 years and all the time I have lived there, their has been talk of trying to re-open the station. This got me thinking about making a layout of Middlewich station either as it was in the 1960s before the line was close or as it could be in the present day if it had not been closed. I think it would make an interesting layout and something of local interest.

However I have not built a proper model railway before just bits of track on a baseboard with some static grass stuck down etc. I currently don't have a lot of space as I have lost the garage to the sons classic mini!

The Middlewich line ran from Sandbach to Northwich and consisted of local passenger traffic, and freight traffic to the many chemical industries along the line. The area was important for its salt production. There was also a yard at middlewich for transferring goods to road. By searching the internet I have found some old photos and maps of the area and with the help of the very good Disused Stations web site (thanks to Paul Wright for the info) I have a track plan. See below.

The track is still there and until recently was used as a freight only line for the chemical industries. however I think it is now closed to freight traffic as well as passengers. The line has on occasions been used as a diversion route from Crewe to Manchester so there is potential to run all sorts of trains, even pendolinos on drags.

In N gauge using PECO settrack it works out at about 2 meters long and 1 meter wide. So the first question is how may base boards and where to cut them? There is a lot of track to cut if you go in the middle and have two 1 meter square boards. I would like something that can be put away and stored and put in a car to transport. To the left of the station there is a road going over the railway and this gives access to the platform via some steps and to the station yard at the back. I envisage using this road bridge as a scenic break so that the trains appear through the road bridge into view. A scenic backdrop would hide the fiddle yard as the land rises at the back of the station.

So first few questions, what size baseboards and where to cut them? Or do I need to think about something else before I start cutting wood?

Just thought of another question. In N gauge do you need to avoid S curves? I don't anticipate any large locos or coaches in the yard.

Thanks

Paul 

Middlewich Station.pdf

Edited by PaulWhitt20

Good Morning,

Not sure I can help with the dimensions, depends on the car in question, some will take  about 1 metre wide or perhaps a little more, length, again depends on the vehicle. I'd try to keep the straight part through the station on one board if possible but it might work out too long.

On prototype matters can I recommend a book by my late friend Alan Wilkinson "Railways across Mid-Cheshire" published by Foxline, now out of print, but you might be able to get a copy second-hand.

In our youth, both Alan and I lived in Middlewich in the days of steam and he spent many hours there (much more than me, I might add), until we moved to different parts of the world, Alan to Sutton Coldfield, whilst we moved away altogether from the UK, though now returned.

I can quite clearly recollect the fun we had whilst the WCML was being electrified, on a Sunday with all the diverted traffic etc.

By the way I expect you know that there should be 3 more sidings at the back of the yard, difficult to fit it all into the space available of course.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the three extra sidings, where were they? Probably won't be able to include them though as there won't be space.

Funny, I grew up in Sutton Coldfield and now live in Middlewich. I will try and find a copy of the book may be an interesting read.

If you have any photos of the station that would be very interesting.

Thanks

Paul.

The three missing sidings are not shown on the early OS maps but are shown in the book both in the books map and photos.

Without checking in the book I cannot be sure but don't think they formed part of the yard as they were slightly elevated and had their own access to the line.

Some through freight traffic often heading from Crewe direct to the Buxton/Peak District is booked to run via the Middlewich line. There were some diverted Virgin London to North Wales Voyager units during the summer for 2 weekends at least but nothing since. And the very occasional Network Rail test trains when they decide to run. This is the real time trains list for Middlewich for today

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/MDLW/2017/11/20/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Cheers Paul

The three missing sidings are not shown on the early OS maps but are shown in the book both in the books map and photos.

Without checking in the book I cannot be sure but don't think they formed part of the yard as they were slightly elevated and had their own access to the line.

Yes the 3 sidings I mentioned did not form part of the yard as such, presumably used for empties/transfers. Of course only a simple loop remains now, though the Goods Shed was still there in private hands last time I looked.

I believe a 4mm scale model has been built in the past but I have no details.