D1069 at St Pancras?

jonny777

Reading the pages for 1974 rail tours at Sixbellsjunction, I came across the entry for 26th October 1974. 

This was two specials from London which had 4498 and 35028 as steam haulage for part of both services. Although one train started and finished at Paddington, the other one began at Euston, but ended at St Pancras allegedly behind D1069 which had taken the Paddington train as far as Didcot earlier in the day. 

I know this is a long shot, but was anyone here on this trip? I have searched for a photo of this event; as a Western at St Pancras would have been a rare occurrence and surely someone photo-ed it?

So far I have had no luck. 

Reading the pages for 1974 rail tours at Sixbellsjunction, I came across the entry for 26th October 1974. 

This was two specials from London which had 4498 and 35028 as steam haulage for part of both services. Although one train started and finished at Paddington, the other one began at Euston, but ended at St Pancras allegedly behind D1069 which had taken the Paddington train as far as Didcot earlier in the day. 

I know this is a long shot, but was anyone here on this trip? I have searched for a photo of this event; as a Western at St Pancras would have been a rare occurrence and surely someone photo-ed it?

So far I have had no luck. 

Hi Jonny

That's the first time I've heard of a Western at St Pancras i know that in the 70's that D1025  ended up at York on a car train from Morris Cowley to Tees

Dec 74 and a D1073 worked through to Brighton 1965.

I'll do some digging to see what I can find out.

Cheers GARETH  

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Thanks Gareth. 

My thoughts are that the special trains would have run on a Saturday, and would be quite late returning to the capital. The itinerary mentions the train getting as far as Acton Main Line then St Pancras; so I presume Paddington may have been closed ready for planned engineering work on the Sunday. 

If this diversion was late evening; not only would it be rather dark for photography in the confines of St Pancras trainshed, but there would not be too many spotters around at that time on a Saturday night.