Ex LSWR Sleeping Cars J7

The MRC article only has a photo in LSWR livery. The notes with the plan say that the GWR modified the last double sleeper comp. to a single and enlarged the attendants compartment. I don't know if this modification resulted in any external changes in appearance. I started building one of these about 30 years ago and gave up as I kept messing up the panelling. As I rarely throw anything away I may even have the sides stashed here somewhere.

Dave R.

There is a drawing of a LSWR Sleeping Saloon listed in MRC 9/68 which I don't have which might be the one you are after for photos, but were they photoed in GWR days or not.

Thanks, but I've got that. Weddell's book on LSWR coaches has drawings and a few photographs, all LSWR. I hope to get a copy of this on my next visit to the NRM. Theres a drawing of J7 on the OPC/NRM drawing collection, which I've got on order, and three LSWR photographs courtesy of the HMRS. It's what it looked like under the GWR that is a problem.

MarkAustin

Edited by MarkAustin

The MRC article only has a photo in LSWR livery. The notes with the plan say that the GWR modified the last double sleeper comp. to a single and enlarged the attendants compartment. I don't know if this modification resulted in any external changes in appearance. I started building one of these about 30 years ago and gave up as I kept messing up the panelling. As I rarely throw anything away I may even have the sides stashed here somewhere.

Dave R.

Some or all of these changes may not have been seen on the network as the the Swindon Paint works fire of 1911 destroyed 15 coaches including the ex LSWR sleepers.

Mike Wiltshire

Some or all of these changes may not have been seen on the network as the the Swindon Paint works fire of 1911 destroyed 15 coaches including the ex LSWR sleepers.

Mike Wiltshire

The fre destroyed 2 of the 4. The other two survived until the late 20's/early 30s.

If just got the NRM/OPC drawing of the J7 diagram. Unfortunately it's terribly distorted and pixillated, so its goiung to be difficult to extract useful information. However, it does show the enlarged attendants compartment.

MarkAustin