Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bristol Bath Road Diesel Depot, Green Diesel Days

steve fay

Lots of hydraulic`s..nice...

Though it is usally the other way ...son goes for diesels,whilst father does steam!.

Cheers,

Brian.

That’s usually the case, my dad loves Western steam As much as I do but I think it all comes down to cost. Heljan have made an affordable way into O gauge.

He did have a few steam locos but sold them a few years back. He did think about doing a blue era layout but settled on the early to mid 60’s era! Ironic really because at that time he despised the Diesels! It’s only in the last few years he’s warmed to them.

He missed out on the initial batch of hydraulics so we’ve done a deal on my Western, Hymek two warships, 37 and 08

He’s got a blue 37 we might just repaint green.

That doesn’t mean I won’t have any Diesels over one Ranelagh Bridge but for now I’ll concentrate on building up the steam fleet,

At least when the track goes down he will have a good basis of locos to fill what will be quite a large Stabling area.

Heljan’s rerelease of the Western next year will help populate the shed plus a certain 22 will be a very nice addition.

That’s usually the case, my dad loves Western steam As much as I do but I think it all comes down to cost. Heljan have made an affordable way into O gauge.

He did have a few steam locos but sold them a few years back. He did think about doing a blue era layout but settled on the early to mid 60’s era! Ironic really because at that time he despised the Diesels! It’s only in the last few years he’s warmed to them.

He missed out on the initial batch of hydraulics so we’ve done a deal on my Western, Hymek two warships, 37 and 08

That doesn’t mean I won’t have any Diesels over one Ranelagh Bridge but for now I’ll concentrate on building up the steam fleet,

At least when the track goes down he will have a good basis of locos to fill what will be quite a large Stabling area.

Heljan’s rerelease of the Western next year will help populate the shed plus a certain 22 will be a very nice addition.

What about Falcon and that era would cover D1733 in XP64 livery as well

Ian

My dad felt the same about diesels during his younger days,he`s oftern told me how he used to get sick to the back teeth of seeing nothing but peak`s & brush on the Midland line down to Bristol from Birmingham.

But, during the past couple years a few of the said peak`s have turned up on his layout....(in green of of course) yet to a brush though.....!

Look forward to progress on 'both' depot layout`s.

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rather than clog up your thread with pages of log book entries, I have uploaded pages from three visits in 1964 - 5 to my gallery. You can find them at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4395-john-sutters-loco-log-btm-1964-5-examples/

If you need more and care to specify periods you are interested in I will see what there is. 

Don't forget that you can see the images at higher magnification if you go to 'options' at top right. Then click 'view all sizes' and pick the largest.

Best wishes with the layout.

Phil

Edited by phil_sutters

As a young enthusiast I remember it well as it was the only shed where we were forcibly ejected.

It was known as pretty near impossible to get round without a permit but of course we didn't bother with such things.

Went round it in the summer of '65..took a chance and straight in off the end of the platform and got round pretty well the whole place before being 'collared'.

Apart from the Westerns Hymeks and 14s D0280 Falcon was inside so it was all worthwhile.

Have a few B&W pics taken off the platform and notes for the day.

Dave. 

• Like 3

What about Falcon and that era would cover D1733 in XP64 livery as well

Ian

Not sure yet Ian, I do have Falcon in its original livery which would be fine as she was on test on the Western at the same time as Bath Road opened as a Diesel Depot.

Just depends if he wants it or not.

I know he would love some 47’s but probably in two tone green, when brand new quite a few where stabled at Pontypool Road Engine Shed behind the sand Furnace his local shed

Edited by steve fay

Not sure yet Ian, I do have Falcon in its original livery which would be fine as she was on test on the Western at the same time as Bath Road opened as a Diesel Depot.

Just depends if he wants it or not.

I know he would love some 47’s but probably in two tone green, when brand new quite a few where stabled at Pontypool Road Engine Shed behind the sand Furnace his local shed

Don’t forget Steve in early days Bath Road had Peaks for a short period as for anything else Blue Pullman Class 40’s use pay a visit Class 37:s to work in pairs on the London’s

Cheers Gareth

Thanks Gareth

It’s probably a foregone conclusion that Heljan will get round to doing split box peaks and 40’s at some point and I’m

Sure both will join the fleet.

He has one 37 in green, the one I detailed a few months back and a blue one that I might repaint if he wants

Steve

Don’t forget Steve in early days Bath Road had Peaks for a short period as for anything else Blue Pullman Class 40’s use pay a visit Class 37:s to work in pairs on the London’s

Cheers Gareth

I seem to remember Bath Road having them allocated from new in the early 1960s (what would later become class 45), but then losing those and gaining some class 46s sometime in the early 1970s.

My memory is rubbish, but there were certain gaps in my ABC which suddenly started filling up without me having to move my spotting destinations away from Nottingham/Grantham. 

It is strange how the dreaded ABC 'gaps' had such a psychological impact, which would seem to be imprinted on my mind forever.