LSWR/SR house style.

CharlesAndHenry

Is there any information on LSWR/SR standards.

1.I want to scratchbuild what looks like a standard LSWR signal cabin but my photographs are not sufficient for scaling. Are standard LSWR window pane 12inches by 12inches

set in 4ft by 4ft frames or 4ft by 3ft frames. If they are then I can used tis to scale my cabin. Ta

2. I also want to build  typical LSWR goods shed. I know of the type 1 and 2 but they are too small for my requirements. Does anyone have information on this, from what I can determine, very little studies or photographed subject.

I think the South Western Circle could help you. I am not a member but other RMwebbers are. Google the name and see what you find. 

Thanks, I have already been in contact with them about the Goods Sheds. Peter Swift provided me with a few phots of some that he thought were still standing and may be useful to work from. Goods Sheds seem to be the Cinderellas. I am just putting out feelers to see if anyone may have something. As for the windows, I was just scaling some photos I have of Lees Lane Signal box but the angle and the light doesn't allow me to get a decent brick count to be certain of the measurements. At best I will have to rely on approximation. Charles.

It does depend on what type (1 to 4 plus war damaged replacements), size and, thus, style of box, you are intending to model.

Firstly, two books on the subject, I can thoroughly recommend. Both by the same author, the late George A. Pryer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signal-Boxes-London-Western-Railway/dp/0853615659/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512400969&sr=1-1&keywords=by+G.+A.+Pryer 

&

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictorial-Record-Southern-Signals-1977-03-25/dp/B01F9RC06U/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512400969&sr=1-10&keywords=by+G.+A.+Pryer

Secondly, we, the BWMRG were able to obtain just one (To start with) decent (I.e :- we were able to count the bricks) photograph of the S/Box in question. From this, we were able to estimate the size of the main glazed panels to be approx.4' - 9" high X 2' - 9" wide* (including the framing) with the individual glass panes being 12" high X 9 1/2" wide. (In later years, some of the sliding panels [and other] had their glazing replaced by three larger, horizontal panes.

*Aaand anotherrr thing  (Imitating Private Frazer) The main glazed panels did vary in height. Best refer, again, to photograph.

This is the Group's SketchUp drawing based on the photograph. As you can see, it is a large-ish seventy-one lever S/box of L&SWR Type 3 design.

post-7009-0-87591300-1512407167_thumb.png

post-7009-0-10420800-1512407205_thumb.png

All the best,

Frank.

P.S. 

We are still looking out for views from the rear.

• Like 1

Is there any information on LSWR/SR standards.

1.I want to scratchbuild what looks like a standard LSWR signal cabin but my photographs are not sufficient for scaling. Are standard LSWR window pane 12inches by 12inches

set in 4ft by 4ft frames or 4ft by 3ft frames. If they are then I can used tis to scale my cabin. Ta

2. I also want to build  typical LSWR goods shed. I know of the type 1 and 2 but they are too small for my requirements. Does anyone have information on this, from what I can determine, very little studies or photographed subject.

The very large goods shed still exists at Winchester - currently occupied by a car repair business who are more than happy to let you wander round with tape measure & camera if you ask nicely

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's biggish stone-built LSWR Goods Shed still extant at Crewkerne and a smaller brick one at Broad Clyst near Exeter. Both are in use by local businesses and I don't know how much you could photograph without obtaining access. In many cases, big ones were the same as small/medium ones just with more bays. 

I strongly recommend joining the South Western Circle, the modest subscription is well worth it for the excellent quarterly South Western Circular alone and membership will give you access to their collection of drawings and a mine of members' knowledge.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

There's biggish stone-built LSWR Goods Shed still extant at Crewkerne and a smaller brick one at Broad Clyst near Exeter. Both are in use by local businesses and I don't know how much you could photograph without obtaining access. In many cases, big ones were the same as small/medium ones just with more bays. 

I strongly recommend joining the South Western Circle, the modest subscription is well worth it for the excellent quarterly South Western Circular alone and membership will give you access to their collection of drawings and a mine of members' knowledge.  

John

Thanks for your help, please see a later reply in this correspondence.

Thank you everybody for your help. I am by nature a researcher so I haven't been sitting on my hands.

1. Signal Cabin Style:

Thanks Ceptic for your drawing it helps me a lot. I have come to a conclusion. The style of Signal Box I am looking at for "Lees Lane", on the Gosport to Fareham Line" is part of a Modular Style. My Box is One bay wide, so is Clandon. Fareham East is two bays and Your Bournemouth West is Three bays Wide. I used Brick counting to get the dimensions but had difficulty with the windows. I was going to make them 12"X12" but that didn't seem right so I am going to use your dimensions of 12" X 9"(rounded). This also means that I have to redo my plans. Perhaps it was as well that Alton Models was closed yesterday.

2.Thanks for all of the guidance on the Goods Shed. Currently I have no plans to go West otherwise Crewkerne would have suited. Winchester is out for a day trip because........I have found architects plans for LSWR Aldershot. It is a little confusing because it sits close to the SER  Reading - Redhill interface. Plan 1 is 1890 and it has the line on it "Alterations to the Aldershot Goods Shed for SERly" and is dated 1890.

Plan 2 has a title "LSWR Aldershot goods Shed", then it repeats the same line saying it is for the SER. We think that it is a transfer shed. It suits my scheme as I live at Blackwater on the SER Reading - Redhill Line just N of Aldershot, see the RCH map on this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_railway_station

I am a 90% LSWR with a litte GWR, S&D( with a Midland excuse) and as I use it a lot SER so I think a transfer shed is ideal. The only problem, decent copies are going to cost.

I will be enrolling on the South West Circle after Christmas.

Edited by CharlesAndHenry

When I did a similar exercise on LBSCR signal boxes it rapidly became apparent that there were no absolute modular dimensions, although there were similarities between different boxes. These days we seem to think that using standard sizes is the obvious economic way to go, but a hundred years ago this didn't commonly occur. Each job would be handled individually by the joinery company responsible, and it wouldn't make any difference to them whether it was a repeat of a previous job or not. The machinery would be set up to deal with the task in hand, to whatever dimensions required to accommodate the lever frame needed for the box, although the height of the windows was probably standard for a particular style of box.