Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

AFK (Altonian Complementary Railways)

ianathompson

• RMweb Premium

More happenings in the Little World can be found here.

There are around thirty  photos.

As usual the file is now so large that it takes a little time to load up.

12-115A.jpg.f9917e6aae88c6c45e8098a822e0e135.jpg

115a. Nature red in tooth and claw! A bonus archived view of the birds and their fish below the bridge. Winter stays late in these parts and the ice floes jam the exit of the Lagabianca as the birds struggle to find the protein needed for the short breeding season.

12-122.jpg.dd0daf592dfc4247a395c93adf9920b5.jpg

122. As has been noted before, working the siding at Varden is difficult and dangerous, rather than simply awkward. Miraro’s task is not helped by the fact that the Fenditavalat crew do not usually shunt here therefore requiring even more care and attention. The wagons cannot be released from the loco until the brakes have been applied, hard, and the wagons coupled to the bufferstop.  In actuality the wagons are secured by the short pole permanently fixed here. The loco has uncoupled and slightly backed off so that it can be ascertained that the brakes are holding. Space is restricted so access to the siding is through the platform. The loco is standing on a concrete patch which allows road vehicles and passengers access. The ski-lift is on the list of things to do.

12-132.jpg.221fbfddb33fbaa1dceb0a4f522c2182.jpg

132 Now that the anonymous tunnel has been named it seemed a pity for the photographer in the Neoŏra Aeptogil not to capture the railcar emerging from the Höggormshöfuðgöng. The Aepto is constrained between a retaining wall and the cliff face. As has been noted before the scene could do with a little more greenery.

12-137.jpg.2c6878dd3cfa58737f500fcc1abdd969.jpg

137. Eromarbordo has fallen behind the rest of the layout and now receives attention. As has been observed before this is a difficult place to shunt and it contains a number of complex track formations. The first priority is to get the two grain hoppers unloaded. These are propelled across the diamonds into the grain shed whilst part of the train stands to the right. All three roads are jammed solid with wagons, the headshunt along the quay and the sidings beside the warehouse are also full. One wrong move here could be disastrous. Some ‘lazy day’ at the seaside for the crew! The railcar has been run onto the Town Staithe to leave room for the shunting.

I hope that you find things interesting.

Ian T

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The next installment of session 12 is available here

There are about 30 photos and the file will take some time to load up.

.12-143.jpg.f99084a04fef9993ccde4e8d14ddf8b3.jpg

143. The long distance morning goods pulls into the merkatubaxu at Isuri trailing the SG wagon. As is often the case some students from the University are whiling away their time in the Station café rather then reading for their degrees. The table football machine is obviously not in use at the moment as a young gentleman props himself up on it, whilst chatting to the young ladies. It will see more intensive use this evening as the game is sufficiently popular for the University league matches to attract large crowds, complete with boisterous behaviour and not a little illegal betting. 100 Kronoj, a King’s ransom, isn’t unknown in the First Division. (None of that posy Premier League nomenclature here! Monday is relatively quiet as it is the night when Division 4 games are played. The loco running plate seems to have taken a bit of a bashing but will get a quick fix from the fitter at Rivabordo before it returns on the afternoon train.

12-148.jpg.44500c4779bd5f90e0f4338ded79fb25.jpg

148. The FDV-RFK goods crosses the fertile valley bottom in the latter stages of its 70 kms journey. I was a little dubious about marshalling the empty flat at the front of the train, especially given the curvature, but everything has proceeded smoothly… so far anyway! The train, which stretches into the distance, is 8 or 9 feet long and hauled by a bruiser of a loco, in contrast to the usual twee image of the narrow gauge.

12-156.jpg.ec01c4625a586707b586d95a198ebd22.jpg

156. As there are insufficient steam locos to cover the roster of the mixto Relforka shed has turned out ancient diesel No 434, which harks back to the beginning of internal combustion. It is a bit of a strange choice given its unkempt condition but needs must when the devil rides. The loco has been sidelined with a few problems recently so it is being accompanied by a fitter to keep an eye on it. As the train waits for the incoming railcar, Ichdoclo, the diesel fitter, instructs Aldmahano, the driver, to, “Rev the old b****r up”. (Part caption)

Ian T

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The next instalment of Day 12 is available.

12-175.jpg.51c4d02c8690a2edf0b87c5768d6e800.jpg

175. A disagreement now arises. The Karushnastrato has now been blocked twice in the last quarter of an hour, causing congestion, and the engine crew want to cross it yet again. Licamo, the crossing keeper, is unhappy at this. The engine crew are eventually told to cool their heels and wait until the FDV-LAC goods arrives. It might not do any harm for the scratch crew to put up with the inconvenience, particularly as they are in positions of some authority. The daily realities of operating diverge significantly from the theories of “Office railwaymen”. There are more than a few similarities with the famous ‘Durham Ox’ crossing at Lincoln, except that there is no chance of a relieving bridge being built in the Karushnastarto!

12-182.jpg.181f1f3016ed84ac6a84fc224d5be06f.jpg

182. A glance in the opposite direction shows the pilot in the middle of the yard. (You will have to air brush out the ‘safety fence’ because it is ‘not there;.) This is similar to many other views and might not be worth repeating. It was included to conclude the journey of the fish van from Eromarbordo earlier this morning. This was shown beside the quayside in photo 57, in the branch train in 111, and transferring to the local in 112 and 113. It was seen in photos 146 and 158 at Boursson and arriving in Lacono in 169. It is at the rear of the cut of wagons in this photo. It might seem to be a mundane subject to bring up but this is one of the pleasures that I find in operating a system type of layout. The whole journey takes place on the layout without recourse to a fiddleyard.

12-192.jpg.b09079d73331ae6c80659233e3d9fd95.jpg

192. The KTT afternoon up goods stands at Relforka, behind La Besto, ready to depart. As has previously been remarked, “the creature” (from the Black Lagoon) is a disreputable diesel based upon no known prototype other then a dilapidated garden shed. It has been cured over the years of its more revolting habits, which used to include regular buffer locking and leaping upon unsuspecting, although not entirely innocent, wagons, rather like a cattle dog. With 434 commissioned and Ichdoclo away the creature has decided that it too will enter the filthy pall diesel exhaust stakes. The first van looks to have been mouldering in a remote siding for some time judging by the lichens covering its body.

There should be plenty of interest!

Ian T

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The latest report on the session is now available here.

As has been noted it takes some time to load up, although one or teo people have told me that they have no problems with it.

Perhaps it just my computer!

12-202.jpg.86d105f8b69981b9909de17156be9ff0.jpg

202. The afternoon Relforka freight pulls into the permanent snowy wastes of the Narnian enclave. Urchyllu, the centaur and staciaĉefo at Caladonno, comes out to meet the train. This is a red letter day. There is a van of pharmaceuticals to pick up. You know the sort of thing: magic potions to turn princes into frogs and elixirs to make geese lay golden eggs. For a location that was never envisaged, and only provided as a last minute operational afterthought, Caladonno is doing quite well for itself! The backscene needs finishing, however.

12-214.jpg.b57d985117737be86fbddb2579282f8f.jpg

214. The Fenditavalat pilot is also busy as it pushes a van, loaded with wool, into the blanket factory. The market stall holder looks on interestedly as he has realised that the chimney of the 2-4-0T will not clear the arch. Never mind, the big hand from the sky will complete the job!

12-225.jpg.5c63239322765d365d6c7e3f4c0339ae.jpg

225. The CFS school’s railcar meets the mixto and provides the last connection through to Krelm on the Ruritanian mainline. Given this it includes a trailer to increase capacity. Unfortunately for the Calviero canton school kids it means a longer wait after the school day finishes. This is not too much of a hardship as the lyceo is a boarding school and can provide tea for these pupils if required. The Altonia kids have a more prompt get away, unless they are weekly boarders from the outlying districts. The CFS trailer has been pushed up the Square by the AFK railcar and the handbrake screwed on. The power car will run in front of it and the trailer will run onto the rear by gravity. The only requirement on the model is a track brake and that was eventually provided some time ago.

I hope that you find something to enjoy!

Ian T

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The next set of photos chronicling the operating session is now avaialble here. 

Some people advise me that the page loads quickly onto their machines.

It takes around a minute on mine.

It all depends upon local broadband speeds, I suppose.

The first session was recorded as a "one off" in 2016.

It ran to around 230 photos.

This session (the twelfth) currently stands at 265 and looks as though it will weigh in at around 300.

I am beginning to think that they have got too bloated.

Any views anyone?

12-237.jpg.1a4c69c5ddb1cd3eaa0c2f2b4fd82f8e.jpg

237. The railcar ambles along, through the fields, making stops at obscure wayside halts such as Lamassco. One of the kids drops down and leaves the door open adding a little more time to the stop. The washer woman is still at it. Clothes and bedding were washed in streams and ponds, even after WWII, in parts of rural Europe where there was no piped water supply. She is wearing the traditional sektora kapvestaĵo as she works. This is a translation of “coiffre du secteur” which is highlighted in one of my Reseau Breton books. Each area had its own traditional peasant headdress. I have obtained a copy of them from the net and intend to have some of my own for Altonia. It must be said that some of the illustrations verge on the bizarre! The boxes in the bottom right hand corner contain the figures used for this type of photo. There might be a need for more of them if I ever get around to more figure painting. Don’t bother looking for these figures anywhere either! The washer woman was a fluorescent Life Like figure who underwent a sex change, and a more sober repaint, whilst the bairn was carved out of raw styrene with a soldering iron. Elf & Safety eat you heart out!

12-245.jpg.c1fe7ab0fec1dbc09ae277261f19e4b6.jpg

245. Sacansa, the Ithilarak staciaĉefino, strides forcefully towards the loco where Crocetto the trajnĉefo has cravenly taken refuge. It has been agreed with Control, on Sacansa’s say so, let it be said, that the train will carry out the necessary shunting and wait for the mixto before going forward. You really don’t want to be messing with the mountain women and Sacansa’s word, usually in a Marronĝaccan dialect that Control cannot understand, often leavened with a few profanities, is law around this part of the AFK!

12-253.jpg.e496c39766ef9a53d50fbe91e81dfc32.jpg

253. The diesel fumes from the I-D-I’s exhaust make a contrast with the pristine alpine scenery of the Narnian enclave as the mixto pulls away from Caladonno on its return journey. Simple as it is this part of the scene is finished, although I suppose that the cheap trees could be replaced. (On second thoughts, it isn’t finished because the viaduct requires a handrail!) I originally intended to place a ski lift into the scene but decided that it would become too crowded. The turn back wheel and mechanism for the aerial ropeway will probably see use at the coal loader at some point in the future.

I look forward to your views.

Ian T

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Far from bloated Ian, I enjoy every bit.

If loading speeds are a problem you could split the session over two or three pages with previous/next page links top and bottom.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2023 at 11:57, ian said:

If loading speeds are a problem you could split the session over two or three pages with previous/next page links top and bottom.

It doesn't immediately load on my computer but take a sminute or so.

I just warn anyone expecting it to load instantly that it will take a short while.

So long as people are happy reading them I will continue to document the sessions.

Thanks for your comments.

Ian T

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

So long as people are happy reading them I will continue to document the sessions.

Very much, please do.

It's a far more interesting read than I ever get from the mainstream modelling magazines these days! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Very much, please do.

It's a far more interesting read than I ever get from the mainstream modelling magazines these days! ;)

I absolutely concur.

It is now possible to buy exquisite models of just about everything from the Rocket through to a BRUTE trolley but I really miss the operations based layouts that used to appear in the modelling press. What they may have lacked in appearance they more than made up for in character.

Long may the AFK continue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Now I am back in the UK I can now settle down and view the operating session photos (WiFi is not always that good in some parts of New Zealand Motels!)

Keep up with thus Ian it is an inspiration!

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The operating session has finally finished.

There are around fifty new photos to be seen here.

The file contains over 300 photos so this is some kind of record.

Hopefully I can be more concise with the next  session.

12-271.jpg.fc4a79ea92ba6ba616c3e3f35c51fe8c.jpg

271. The early running down Fenditavalat goods stops at Bourrson. It is too long to fit into the loop and if it stopped short of the clearance point the rear vehicle, another SG van on a transporter, would block the road. The loop cannot be extended and was not deliberately made short to cause operational problems. Its length is determined by the turn back curve at the end of the room and the position of the doorway. The easiest solution would be to continue to Glissent but a phone call to Control must be made before this can happen.

12-284.jpg.be1f42c1b59b02697ebfa519378be354.jpg

284. The goods is let out and approaches Caladonno only to find the home at danger. “Bl**dy Narnian centaur”, think the crew, “Bet he’s fast asleep in his stable. Blow the whistle. Wake him up!”” Despite the aspersions the signal changes and the reason for the delay becomes apparent as they are put into the goods loop to let the pursuing railcar overtake. Because of its late incorporation into the layout I still tend to disregard Caladonno and view it as an overgrown siding, rather like Cadsuiane. It does provide operational flexibility despite its short length, as is evident tonight. Whatever their opinion of Urchyllu, the staciaĉefo, the crew will end up completing the crossing, as he goes off duty at 22.00. Maybe he can be bribed into staying with an apple or two!

12-301.jpg.6e03e0efabafe4f51cf4d430de0e796d.jpg

301. Almost the last act of the day at Isuri. The CFS loco tops up with water at the AFK column to replace that dissipating as steam from the resistances. Once it has coupled onto the brake, and left, the residents should not be disturbed until 5 a.m. although the students are still going strong by the look of it!

I have a number of ideas about the developments that could take place before the next operating session.

We will have to see whether they come to fruition.

The AFK will compete, as ever, with other railway interests whilst it is shut down.

There are three other layouts needing attention, and that is not counting the one in the garden.

Hopefully the "shut down" will not be so long this time, but then I express the same hope at the end of every session.

Ian T

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ianathompson said:

Hopefully I can be more concise with the next  session.

Oh, I do hope not!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Well done to anyone who models 3-phase overhead!

Forunately it is only a very small section of the layout!

I would imagine that it could quickly become awkward, even in O gauge, on a large installation.

I would not like to contemplate the access problems to the track in HO or  N.

Ian T

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A week or more has passed since the end of the operating session.

As per usual there were a number of minor issues that arose during the session which were shelved.

Most of these have now been attended to.

Note to self: one hasn't.

I have decided, amongst other things, that Lacono should receive some attention.

It is a couple of years since the rebuild took place and things have started to settle down.

108.jpg.abe8c08b6d188e506e06ee86a440d1ce.jpg

The 0-4-4-0T stands at Glissent with a train of SG vans.

Not really visible, around the curve, the heavy Lenz wagon sits on a third transporter.

The three transporters had gradually been removed from the layout over time, due to defects.

These have been corrected and so the three are now available for use once more. 

The specification for the transporters has also been altered to provide a basic three point uspension.

This seems, on trial at any rate, to reduce/remove the irritating derailments that sometimes occured with these vehicles.

All the transporters have been retrofitted and the repaired ones also received new fittings.

The 0-4-4-0T struggled to pull a train out of this loop, you might remember.

The new fittings slightly raise the height of the girders supporting the SG wagons, thereby reducing one potential source of problems.

The road surface has also been "scraped" and a piont mechanism cover removed.

The loco now happily pulls this load out of the loop with no problems.

Then road surface needs attention and the poinyt cover needs redoing.

The train is set to go "on tour" but it is awaiting the re-instatement of the long control lead.

The sockets on this have given problems and one end is currently dismantled.

107.jpg.9362849a6182ce927fb8f350caa7bd33.jpg

The work at Lacono has begun by covering the point operating mechanisms.

The rod in the foreground still needs hiding.

This is one of the problems in placing the operating hardware on the baseboard surface.

The reason for this choice is that such things are inaccessible if placed below the boards even in "normal circumstances".

These are not the "normal circumstances" of most modellers.

There is another level of the model beneath here, creating other problems.

The concrete base in the left foreground hides a point crossing polarity switch.

It was scheduled to receive a relay cabinet but it has now been found that this cannot be placed here as it fouls the loading gauge of the adjacent sidings.

The (loose) relay cabinet has been removed and I can now contemplate scratchbuilding a low level installation.

The clearance testing train is in the background.

It is marshalled from completed vehicles to check whether footboards or door handles catch on the new lineside fittings.

The unpainted point operating lever in the right foreground has had to be modified to make sure that there is no interference.

The relay cabinets might seem to be unusual fixtures on the narrow gauge but Lacono is fully signalled to cope with the traffic demands.

One of the couour light shunt signals is also visible, al;though, as has been noted before, it rather dubiously provides clearnace for the running loop and the siding.

It is perhaps best not to delve too deeply into the murky practices of the AFK!

Part of the point wiring run protector was cut out to place the signal so a new piece has now been fitted.

The points operate on the continental two wire system.

The signal, and the relay box also need some concrete troughing to connect them to the signal box.

The building in the background seems to have become dislodged but it too is due for some attention.

There is plenty to do and I still need to work on my N gauge Scottish layout.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
photos in wrong order
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is not much to report on the AFK at the moment.

Despite my wishes for a short inter session break it looks like it will become extended, as is the norm.

The onset of apathy, a minor medical issue and the need to go to the Cotswolds to "mother sit" have all delayed progress.

Inverness Citadel, my N gauge GNoSR layout has received some attention as work slowly continues on the AFK.

opsdecant103.jpg.04e27932d559511a9a01d56cb29b186f.jpg

Moving on to the AFK, Lacono has been hit by yet another bomb.

Various improvements are underway but, as per usual the arrival of the work crews results in devastation.

Point levers, floodlights, cable troughing and hiding holes in the 'ground' have been the object of attention.

Hopefully at least some partial ballasting might now occur.

Croquet and cricket permitting things might push on a little quicker as the summer progresses.

Ian T

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The warm weather is not conducive to railway modelling, especially when one has outdoor sporting interests! As is often the case enthusiasm wanes once an operating session has ended and progress upon “finishing” Lacono is desultory. Other railway interests are also rearing their heads as well!3.jpg.a9e27a4f133541c7c0deb32c0ae7e4d8.jpg

Eventually a decision was made to clear all the tools and detritus surrounding the station to carry out checks before proceeding further. I was very wary of receiving allegedly “maintained” equipment from technicians against my signature when I worked on the real thing. It saved my bacon more than once! Much to my relief and surprise all the signals were working, despite one or two heads being accidentally knocked.

The Karushnastrato crossing received a tidying prior to the intended ballasting. The only problem is that an electrical bond has been broken and the entire north end of the station, beyond the first point is now dead. I know which rail it is and it will only take a couple of minutes with an iron to fix it. Nothing disastrous, just a little niggle.

4.jpg.93fb1e64c4ade37031a748b91cf977a3.jpg

Having argued with the diamonds in the access road the 0-6-2T is totally spooked by the new wagon turntable. Reminds me of my dad’s golden retriever back in the day, “Not going near that dad, it’s scary!”

Well it is not actually new but it has received a brick well to support it on the right side in the photo, where the ground falls away to the loop. This was not an intended feature but it adds a little character. The pony truck refused to pass until the retaining walls were cut down. The turntable has also received a new road leading off at right angles. The land to the left will be brought up to rail level.1.jpg.95487d43643508f60caa60ea7918b887.jpg

The station entrance hall has, at long last, been provided. In effect it is a large “shadow box”. I nicked the floor tiles idea from seeing photos of an Irish station refurbishment, but it was a long time ago and I cannot remember where. Anyway they are a little different. The smart businessman waits at one of the two ticket windows, only one of which, inevitably, is open. The doors for the platform access lie on the platform awaiting attention. If you look closely you will see that one of them is in place on a trial fitting. A backscene has been pencilled in to finish the scene. The modelling is crude but acceptable given its semi hidden position. “C minus, Could do better.”

2.jpg.506d8379874c45cc364b419a7692a3e9.jpg

It is probably not too noticeable but the Post Office has finally been painted, although the stone work still needs picking out. It looks a lot better than the currently unpainted station buildings. There is still work to be done, however, not least because I am out of “glass”. The waiting shelter for the trolleybuses has been knocked out of place and the tarmac needs repainting. The trolleybuses might even receive booms, having found the mangled remains that I made for their underscale predecessors.

The signal has been straightened up with the help of a large Watt iron. It was previously looking like it had enjoyed a good night out! I would like to add ‘backs’ covering the wiring but I am not holding my breath.

6.jpg.e49e3581c64c71a8fb65aad67b7471ad.jpg

Other projects are on the go. The signalbox relay room has been sketched in and the signal box bashed about yet again. You will notice that the access door opens onto a void! The original intention was to provide a walkway over the roof of the relay room. I have never been keen on this door, however. The ‘box’ floor is all that remains of a generic Kittle Models kit. I would like to know the prototype inspiration because the low ‘dado’ front is atypical for British practice, although ideal for a continental installation. The front was cantilevered out with a home made extension. The door, however, is much too small, weighing in at about 5 feet tall. The latest plan is to add a toilet here and rework the extension.

5.jpg.ef6c7d97b97d22bcd6599ddca3194c37.jpg

A new door frame is in place. The door will be made to open for use in the summer or remain firmly closed during the winter. A top landing will be provided outside the door and I do wonder about the long flight of stairs and whether there should be an intermediate landing. On the other hand one of the ex GCR boxes that I worked had a fairly long ladder so it will probably stay as mocked up.

Future intentions include ballasting, finishing the station building and train shed. Whether these come to pass will have to wait and see.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
photo duplication
  • Like 7