DJ Models J94 - help removing lettering

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

In the next couple of days I will be collecting a pair of DJ Models J94s in LNER livery; they're going to be changed to NCB back livery.  As the models are of unmodified Austerity tanks, and are already in black, I am hoping to get away with re-lettering them.  Can anyone advise on the best method to remove the manufacturers' original markings?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

I have removed the logos from a DJM 14xx, I used my usual method soaking in microsol and then scraping away with a cocktail stick

It leaves a slightly shiny patch which was obscured by the new logo (I was changing a BR version to wartime GWR). Light weathering his the remains once I was done.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that.  I think I have some microsol hiding at the back of a cupboard.  All my previous experince of doing this has either required a full repaint, or has been with a Bachmann loco (using thinners and a cotton bud).

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Tried the micro-sol approach with no success (not enough of it, or not soaking it for long enough?).  Went back to me usual method of thinners and a cotton but; laborious but effective.

Regards,

Alex.