Yard Lighting Towers

Hi, I have 4 Express Models towers on my layout and be damage. Been looking around to change the towers or replace the lights. One idea was to change them all together to a modern lights? But still has the 70's 80's look.  Just wondering if anyone can suggest suitable lights to put on the top of the tower? Or new towers?

Mike

Hi, I have 4 Express Models towers on my layout and be damage. Been looking around to change the towers or replace the lights. One idea was to change them all together to a modern lights? But still has the 70's 80's look.  Just wondering if anyone can suggest suitable lights to put on the top of the tower? Or new towers?

Mike

Hi Mike

if you look in Bargain Hunters Mark 2 - go back to last week, I posted a picture and a link to a site on Alibaba which has an item you may want to try out. I haven't gotten around to ordering yet myself but they looked very good at that price. Had no problems with Alibaba for other items like passengers that I have ordered - just takes a week or 3 for stuff to arrive.

Hi Mike

if you look in Bargain Hunters Mark 2 - go back to last week, I posted a picture and a link to a site on Alibaba which has an item you may want to try out. I haven't gotten around to ordering yet myself but they looked very good at that price. Had no problems with Alibaba for other items like passengers that I have ordered - just takes a week or 3 for stuff to arrive.

The link is here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/page-13&do=findComment&comment=2931970

I suppose two of these back to back on a large pole - the wiring is pre-done so shouldn't be too much of a headache

• RMweb Gold

Look great, Just been on there site and sent an e-mail. Where did you get the lights from? 

I knew you were going to ask that!!!!

I could take you to him at an exhibition, but I haven't a clue of the trading name!

They are actually copper street lights with the wider tube part of the base cut off, then they are soldered on, a few people do them now, so it shouldn't be too onerous to find something suitable.

Edit.

They are T92 from Layouts4u.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

If you're going to build the N Brass ones, a couple of pointers from my experiences.

As the posts are by their nature very flimsy, deepen the etch fold lines a little with a scalpel blade, but be careful not to go too deep. This will make them a lot easier to fold up.

When you've bent the first side up, (with hold and fold/bending bars etc), clamp it in the smooth jaws of a vice on the aluminium former, (indispensible), and hammer a steel rule along the fold to sharpen up the angle. There is very little meat to get a crisp edge when just folding up from the flat.

Although the aluminium former is also there to help soldering up the frames, I found it acted too much like a heat sink and made one from hardwood strip, which works a little easier.

Whisper it quietly in case certain people on the forum are reading this, but, you could probably get away with superglueing it together if soldering fazes you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike.