The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

British Steam Railways and how they shaped our history magazines and DVDs

Dick Turpin

Today I was given a huge load of boxes containing magazines and DVDs of British Steam Railways containing what I take to be a completed part work formally belong to an enthusiast who has, through failing health, passed them on to an acquaintance, who has in turn passed them on to me, as a known railway enthusiast. Whilst I am deeply sympathetic and sorry for the plight of the person who has decided to part with these, I was at once overwhelmed with the enormity of what I had received, and I can only say that I am looking forward to spending a fair few pleasurable hours checking through this lot. I am sort of glad but at the same time saddened for this windfall if you follow my meaning, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to have experienced this sort of thing, but especially as I don't even know the person's name, though I will endeavor to find out and pass on my gratitude!

Similarly, last week I was asked to clear/dispose of a deceased friends model boat workshop by his daughter, among the half finished projects, jigs, templates, mock-ups and tools I felt as if I was intruding and it felt wrong some how. Further on in the day it became clear the daughter had become very upset at the idea of having to sort through this accumulation of stuff and was relieved when I agreed to help, her only other option being to put the lot in the skip into which the rest of the unwanted household effects were destined. Brian was an inveterate hoarder of 'handy things' and it will take me a few days before I see my workshop floor again and even longer before I use but a fraction of the nails, screws, etc. he left in neatly labelled margarine tubs. His family pleased that someone might make use of them and not going to land fill.

Guy

We as a club got a load of magazines donated out of North Vancouver last year- including some pre WW II MRC's, and other similar "old" magazines.  (I'm jaded- dad had pre war Model Engineers for me to read as a kid... pre first world war...).  We were also told of the passing of the widow of one of our members- again, sad to think of.  I'm still the youngster in the group- and I'm past 40 now !

I've been dealing with this all my life with the Live Steam side of things...

James