Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

beasts mailbox is full i think, so ill post it here instead

BenScoobert

Hi

I am in the early stages of planning a new rail setup in 00, as a train driver I want the signalling right and I want it computer controlled.

Someone pointed out that you are a wealth of knowledge in this area.

Not sure if you can help me but judging by what ive seen of your modelling, you are streets ahead of me.

What systems do you use for controlling signals and points? And train location detection, another subject which puzzles me, with your level of detail it wouldnt suprise me if youd made whole TCB systems and axle counters :)

Regards

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

In very simple terms we use Digitrax DCC to control the trains and provide the Loconet.

The points are all tortoise motors and these are generally controlled by either a NCE SwitchIt or a Switch8, the signals are controlled by a Digitrax SE8C. We use BDL168s to provide the "track circuits".

Driving these modules is RailRoad and Co which runs on two PCs, one controls the main layout and one controls the fiddle yard, they communicate with each other using DCC for the cross panel interlocking and a TCP/IP based network for the train descriptions.

RailRoad is configured to act like an NX panel, Widnes is very close to how the prototype would be and the main signals are all scratchbuilt, the shunt signals are heavily modified Eckons.

Happy to answer any further questions if I can :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

In very simple terms we use Digitrax DCC to control the trains and provide the Loconet.

The points are all tortoise motors and these are generally controlled by either a NCE SwitchIt or a Switch8, the signals are controlled by a Digitrax SE8C. We use BDL168s to provide the "track circuits".

Driving these modules is RailRoad and Co which runs on two PCs, one controls the main layout and one controls the fiddle yard, they communicate with each other using DCC for the cross panel interlocking and a TCP/IP based network for the train descriptions.

RailRoad is configured to act like an NX panel, Widnes is very close to how the prototype would be and the main signals are all scratchbuilt, the shunt signals are heavily modified Eckons.

Happy to answer any further questions if I can :)

Not kidding, very simple terms, I've been reading up on detection etc, this may be a longer build than I initially thought :)

Archived