Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Messing with idea's

I do like small layouts and micros. But the design and balance has to be right...
Of course, it also depends on what setting you are going to depict the layout in too
I try to avoid cramming too much trackwork into a small space - unless I want it to look like a junction, or the top end of a yard - where the rest of the yard lies in one direction, and the rest of the rail network in the other
That said, I do like the look of the design in post #1 on the left.... and I like the simple design of the one in post #3

If you want it to look like a permanent way / engineers yard, I think you'll want a couple of sidings that appear fairly lengthy (even if they're actually not) plus a bit of space for some heaps of ballast, and piles of sleepers
I like huts on a layout, so you'll need a couple, and maybe a mess hut too?

You're at a stage of the plan that many people dread, or dismiss too quickly
To my mind, you need several stabs at designs and you can't do enough sketching. But also, draw a few of them out actual size, on some wallpaper (lining paper)
That will help you appreciate siding lengths and positions of points and buildings....

The hard part for many people, is then being able to think of the design and the "balance" of the overall scene in 3d
Again, the wallpaper plan, with a few wagons on, and some cut up cereal boxes to represent buildings, can help

Best of luck, and keep sketching :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it simple. Just start. :)

Couldn't have put it better myself.  Some other excellent comments on here too about not trying to cram too much on either.  Personally I like the simple track plan in post number 3 on here.  A small branch line terminus and goods platform is enough to provide operational interest.  I also like that particular plan as the track is angled and provides viewing interest.

Regards,

Paul aka Intercity125

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on this plan?

Yes, something along the lines (no pun intended! lol) of this plan looks good

I also like the angle the track is positioned at. It does indeed look a bit different to the more usual plan where the track is parallel with the baseboard front adge

Mind you, I like to curve that where possible too.... being the awkward sod that I am ;)