WR train identification code

nicktamarensis

In those days the 3C07 was a regular for test and crew training runs on the newly delivered Hydraulics, there are quite a few published shots of shiny new Westerns, Warships and Hymeks working it.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

In those days the 3C07 was a regular for test and crew training runs on the newly delivered Hydraulics, there are quite a few published shots of shiny new Westerns, Warships and Hymeks working it.

It was a Swindon out & back working although the manning might not have been entirely Swindon men.  The loco on trial came up from Swindon in the morning (possibly a Cheltenham train?) and then worked back down with 3C07 in the afternoon coming off at Swindon - great way to see that latest ex-works diesel hydraulic and always know to the spotters at Reading as 'the three o'clock parcels'.

• Like 1

Yes I'd say it started off on an up Cheltenham Mike, I think we've discussed it before in another thread somewhere.

There's a wonderful shot of D1000 resplendent in Desert Sand having its headcode wound up to show '3C07' in the parcels platform at Paddington ready for a run back to Swindon in December '61, one of several official shots taken that day.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'd say it started off on an up Cheltenham Mike, I think we've discussed it before in another thread somewhere.

There's a wonderful shot of D1000 resplendent in Desert Sand having its headcode wound up to show '3C07' in the parcels platform at Paddington ready for a run back to Swindon in December '61, one of several official shots taken that day.

I well remember the day, a rather murky one, when I positioned myself at Twyford in order to attempt to get a pic of D1000 which was reported as being on the train that week (its first week out of Swindon).  Definitely a 'thousand' on the train but alas - in my view at that time - the wrong sort as the number did not have a 'D' prefix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was a Swindon out & back working although the manning might not have been entirely Swindon men.  The loco on trial came up from Swindon in the morning (possibly a Cheltenham train?) and then worked back down with 3C07 in the afternoon coming off at Swindon - great way to see that latest ex-works diesel hydraulic and always know to the spotters at Reading as 'the three o'clock parcels'.

The train was the 7.50 am Taunton to Paddington which attached a Cheltenham portion and a fresh loco at Swindon.  We spotters at Acton Main Line used to rely on it to learn the name of the latest Warship.

Chris

• Like 2

The train was the 7.50 am Taunton to Paddington which attached a Cheltenham portion and a fresh loco at Swindon.  We spotters at Acton Main Line used to rely on it to learn the name of the latest Warship.

Chris

Hi Chris,

So it wasn't a Paddington - Plymouth service mentioned earlier in this thread?

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

So it wasn't a Paddington - Plymouth service mentioned earlier in this thread?

Nick.

If I've got it right, the Up train was a bit of a complex one. It ran from Taunton as a Class 2 as far as Weston-s-m then became 1A30 to Paddington. The 8.50? Cheltenham to Swindon Class 2 arrived just before it. That was attached to the Taunton train together with a new loco and that went to Paddington. The loco then worked back on 3C07.

• Like 1

If I've got it right, the Up train was a bit of a complex one. It ran from Taunton as a Class 2 as far as Weston-s-m then became 1A30 to Paddington. The 8.50? Cheltenham to Swindon Class 2 arrived just before it. That was attached to the Taunton train together with a new loco and that went to Paddington. The loco then worked back on 3C07.

Ah, that's it.

Thanks very much.  My photo is of a down train passing Reading - so I assume it's on its way to Plymouth via Bristol?

Nick.

That is correct, and a very long way it was too.  In the summer 1961 timetable, according to the carriage working programme, it left Paddington at 2 pm and was due into Plymouth at 1.50 am the next day.  It called at Reading to attach and detach vans, at Didcot to detach vans, at Swindon to detach van and attach empty milk tanks, at Bristol to attach and detach vans, and at Taunton and Newton Abbot to detach vans.  No doubt it also called at other centres to handle traffic not entailing the attachment and detachment of vans.  It is at times like this that a sight of a contemporary WTT would come in very handy.

Chris 

That is correct, and a very long way it was too.  In the summer 1961 timetable, according to the carriage working programme, it left Paddington at 2 pm and was due into Plymouth at 1.50 am the next day.  It called at Reading to attach and detach vans, at Didcot to detach vans, at Swindon to detach van and attach empty milk tanks, at Bristol to attach and detach vans, and at Taunton and Newton Abbot to detach vans.  No doubt it also called at other centres to handle traffic not entailing the attachment and detachment of vans.  It is at times like this that a sight of a contemporary WTT would come in very handy.

Chris 

Thanks very much for this extra info Chris.  That was quite a job!

Nick.