Problem with NCE Powercab

swsjames

Can anyone advise a novice with DCC? I have a loco which has been running fine with my NCE powercab system except thatwhen it says "fwd" the loco runs in reverse.

This evening I have tried to change this following the instructions in the manual (p 38, change direction bit). When I returned to the main menu, the loco is now dead, will not respond to the controller at all. Thinking I might have

inadvertently scrambled the loco address, I tried to reset it, and got the message "can not read cv". The manual

suggests there is a problem with the decoder or the track wiring. there wasn't any problem 30 minutes ago!

Have I managed to destroy the chip?

Cannot read CV can often mean the track or wheels are dirty, particularly as everything was OK before.  Check both the wheels and the track first.  Are you programming on main or on a programming track?

It is always safer to do mods on a programming track.  It unlikely you have destroyed the chip.  If all else fails do a factory reset.

It unlikely you have destroyed the chip.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to destroy a chip with the things stated in the original posting.    Quite possible to get things into a state which don't work, in which case, read the bit on programming track, and try to read the address and/or set (write) an address in the loco.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

To reverse a loco check CV29. If it is an even number, add one. If it is an odd number, subtract 1.

This is my "go-to" for setting CV29.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Tick the boxes you want and out pops the number at the bottom.

What decoder is it?

Cheers,

Mick