Irratic behaviour with gaugemaster prodigy (starter system)

jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

I keep getting a reoccurring problem with my dcc system. For what seems no reason at all locos on all tracks start to slow down (almost to a stop), then speed backup before eventually stopping all together (lights go out as well).

I have a mixture of Bachmann and gaugemastet decoders and does not seem to be specific to any of them. I have unplugged all droppers except one and makes no difference, switch off/on makes no difference either. I’m at a loss.

Any help much appreciated.

A connector that is not making proper contact, through dirt, corrosion, or simply poor contact for some reason will result in a high resistance locally to that connector. Then to get the power through requires more power from the controller, enough high resistance will result in an overload when trying to run something. Does the connector or maybe a fishplate get warm? If so that is taking power over and above what the loco is pulling.

John

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a short circuit that's not drawing enough power to trip the controller. I would check all your connectors very carefully.  Also make sure your DCC wiring is adequate: take all your locos off the track and do the "coin test".  Place a coin or metal object across the track at various places (especially those farthest from the controller)  and make sure your DCC system trips immediately.  If it doesn't, then your DCC wiring is too thin and needs to be beefed up. 

• RMweb Gold

well i can safely say i'm not the wiser. i did the coin test and piece of track tripped the controller. i then un-wired each loop, made no difference to the one section of track i had left wired.

i then wired the controller directly to the track and each loop worked fine. I then wired it back together loop at a time and it worked fine and continues to do so.

i have one gaugemaster decoder that seems to have a mind of its own though, set the loco off, then it becomes un responsive and continues to go round and round until you take the loco off. not experimented with this yet though. got in enough trouble spending a few hours in the garage today as it is!

Your disconnection and re-connection could have cleared the poor connection, you don't say if you have soldered connections or screw terminals or the standard connector, but hopefully it has cleared.

As for the temperamental decoder, first thing to try is a reset to factory defaults, often setting CV8 to 8, but it does vary between manufacturers, check the decoder instructions for this.

John

My track is connected via fish plates, with droppers connected via fish plates with wires attached, think they are Peco ones. I’ll have a play resetting the decoder on Boxing Day.

I suspect that's the problem.  You are still relying on good contact between the rail and each fishplate - a little dirt or paint, or a slightly loose fit will cause problems. Far better to solder the droppers direct to each piece of rail.  How is the other end of each dropper fixed to the power bus?