Canadian VIA Rail late running

ardbealach

Picked up today Saturday 23 December on https://asm.transitdocs.com that the westbound Canadian running from Toronto toi Vancouver is running 13 hours and 19 minutes late.  No reason given but my question is - how does VIA Rail deal with crew changes in running this late and do the train crews have a time limit on how long they work?  

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if the staff all travel with the train. The on-board staff used to at one time, changing when they passed one going in the opposite direction. The biggest problems would be that a late running train in one direction puts the other one late by the same amount, and that fuelling is done by road vehicles meeting the train at stops as are the supplies of food for the dining cars.

• RMweb Premium

The long distance VIA trains routinely run late, this is nothing unusual, mainly because CN prioritise freight over the passenger train paths. Weather, ice and other operational issues are factors too.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I did the Canadian last year, it was 8 hours Late arriving in Toronto, which put our departure back by nearly 3 hours, we then had a medical emergency, which required an ambulance and we lost another couple of hours, we then had a fire, which lost us another hour or so. New loco crews were always on hand at relief points even when we were up to 12 hours late, by cutting back on scheduled stop times we were only 8 hours late in Vancouver.

Thanks for that information on late running - take a flask and some sandwiches for the trip then!  If lateness is routine, no doubt this is built into the planning.  I accept freight has the priority on the tracks in North America. (AM)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that information on late running - take a flask and some sandwiches for the trip then!  If lateness is routine, no doubt this is built into the planning.  I accept freight has the priority on the tracks in North America. (AM)

I'd suggest a hamper of goodies, catering being a bit intermittent, and at least half a bottle of something warming!

Dava