Class 71 on newspaper trains

Trofimow

• RMweb Gold

I've been enjoying the book on the class 71 locos by Simon Lilley and John Wenyon in which mention is made of overnight combined newspaper/parcels/passenger trains being one of the regular Class 71 (or rather HA) duties.

Can anyone provide any information on the likely formation of these trains around 1960/61?

I guess this would be too early for dedicated newspaper GUVs so are we talking a motley selection of NPCS vans?

What about the passenger vehicles - what sort, how many and whereabouts in the train?

Any information on what to include/exclude in a train would be welcome.

I've been enjoying the book on the class 71 locos by Simon Lilley and John Wenyon in which mention is made of overnight combined newspaper/parcels/passenger trains being one of the regular Class 71 (or rather HA) duties.

Can anyone provide any information on the likely formation of these trains around 1960/61?

I guess this would be too early for dedicated newspaper GUVs so are we talking a motley selection of NPCS vans?

What about the passenger vehicles - what sort, how many and whereabouts in the train?

Any information on what to include/exclude in a train would be welcome.

There are probably some formations in this book.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for that Robert.

That book is an absolute mine of information and does indeed provide answers to my questions and will be a great help in putting together more accurate formations for the layout.

Trouble is, I've found it so fascinating that I'll now be on the lookout for more.

Thank you very much for that Robert.

That book is an absolute mine of information and does indeed provide answers to my questions and will be a great help in putting together more accurate formations for the layout.

Trouble is, I've found it so fascinating that I'll now be on the lookout for more.

Fascinating indeed to see individual vehicle numbers assigned to the Golden Arrow and Night Ferry sets [but two(!) RBs seems like overkill for the latter].    There is also a tantalising mention of SWD set numbers in the footnote to the Night Ferry page.  

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating indeed to see individual vehicle numbers assigned to the Golden Arrow and Night Ferry sets [but two(!) RBs seems like overkill for the latter]. There is also a tantalising mention of SWD set numbers in the footnote to the Night Ferry page.

Bill

The need for two RB was due to the fact that the Night Ferry passengers where Immigration and Customs cleared at Victoria, but the train also conveyed foot passengers and local passengers from Dover, both were offered a buffet service but had to be physically kept apart for Customs and Immigration purposes. Edited by Simon Lee