Class 121 in Refurbished White/Blue?

FPH 603

Hi all,

Whilst researching the class 121's, I came across this:

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/3347

A Class 121 (or so I believe!) in refurbished White/Blue attached to a plain Rail Blue DTS at Iver on 2/1/1980. I looked at the class 121 liveries page, and there's no evidence of refurbished White/Blue on it, but yet in the Class 121 images pages, there are some photos (like the one attached above) that show a class 121 in White/Blue.

Thanks to all that contribute.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I never.  My fingers were poised, as I read the title, to type "No, no 121 ever carried the refurbished white and blue scheme" and cor blimey one did!  Who'd'a thunk it?!

Very strange that there's nothing else indicating the class 121's being involved in the refurbishment. I looked at the car in this and it's just the one, most of the other photos of it are either in Plain Blue or Blue/Grey. I think this would be interesting to model. It'll look good alongside my recently acquired Class 108 in Refurbished White/Blue.

• Like 1

I came across this:

http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/121_OO.html

Electra Railway Graphics do overlays in Refurbished White/Blue, and I may consider buying a set. Although I have a couple of questions:

1. Does a Hornby model need any modification? (i.e. Do the sides need filing smooth?)

2. Or would it just be better to paint the livery straight on and then put the decals on?

I came across this:

Electra Railway Graphics do overlays in Refurbished White/Blue, and I may consider buying a set. Although I have a couple of questions:

1. Does a Hornby model need any modification? (i.e. Do the sides need filing smooth?)

2. Or would it just be better to paint the livery straight on and then put the decals on?

Hattons have a Dapol Bubble Car in this livery available.     Charlie

I came across this:

I have used quite a few of Electra Railway Graphic's overlays over the years, in OO scale. The trick with raised detail is to put the overlay on and use a hair dryer and soft cloth to mould and settle the vinyl over the details.

• RMweb Premium

Since the Electra graphics have the details printed on, I'd probably smooth the door handles and hinges and just settle for printed ones, as it'd probably be hard to get them to sit perfectly over the moulded one and line up.  That said, with experience and practice, SRMan's technique sounds a good one.  

Are you sure about Hattons Charlie?  I can't see one one their website

Since the Electra graphics have the details printed on, I'd probably smooth the door handles and hinges and just settle for printed ones, as it'd probably be hard to get them to sit perfectly over the moulded one and line up.  That said, with experience and practice, SRMan's technique sounds a good one.  

Are you sure about Hattons Charlie?  I can't see one one their website

Have you actually used the graphics or is that just an assumption?

• RMweb Premium

Have you actually used the graphics or is that just an assumption?

It's just a statement - nothing more, nothing less - on how I would do it if it were me, based on what I've seen others do and the fact my skill level might not be as good as SRMan's, or that the printed handles might not look right to me over the moulded ones unless they're absolutely perfectly in line, which I suspect would be hard to achieve.  It's not a comment on the excellent quality of Electra's vinyls, if that's what you're suggesting.

Hello , just to confirm there was ever only one pair of these painted in Refurbished blue stripe livery DMBS 55034 & DTS 56283, I have a picture of them running together in Colin Marden's DMU recognition, I will try and scan in later and put it on here for your perusal.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Here you go as promised .... just to correct the previous info, the picture is actually from Stuart Mackay's excellent "First Generation DMU's in Colour" book, copyright of the picture is Colour-Rail, there is a similar picture in Colin Marsden's DMU recognition book, but the DTS is a blue grey one, hope this helps all those that are interested in this.

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-61046300-1514665466_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

After my previous post about this being interesting to model, I may reconsider. Looking at RAILCAR.co.uk, 55034 & 56283 would have been refurbished at around 1978 - 1980, which is pretty late compared to the 108 I already own (refurbished in 1975) and some of the other classes involved in the refurbishment scheme. I model the 1975 - 1985 period, making the white/blue a bit short lived in the period I model. I did a search on the Railcar website, and the next image of it after the one picture of it in white/blue is in blue/grey (c. 1984). As for 56283, it may or may not have carried this livery for a longer period of time and the next image of 56283 (this time c. 1988) is also in blue/grey. If I went ahead the set's operation would be limited due the amount of time it ran in this livery and the period it ran in it.

EDIT: This doesn't mean I definitely won't model it, I may decide to go with the limitations and find ways around them.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

After my previous post about this being interesting to model, I may reconsider. Looking at RAILCAR.co.uk, 55034 & 56283 would have been refurbished at around 1978 - 1980, which is pretty late compared to the 108 I already own (refurbished in 1975) and some of the other classes involved in the refurbishment scheme. I model the 1975 - 1985 period, making the white/blue a bit short lived in the period I model. I did a search on the Railcar website, and the next image of it after the one picture of it in white/blue is in blue/grey (c. 1984). As for 56283, it may or may not have carried this livery for a longer period of time and the next image of 56283 (this time c. 1988) is also in blue/grey. If I went ahead the set's operation would be limited due the amount of time it ran in this livery and the period it ran in it.

EDIT: This doesn't mean I definitely won't model it, I may decide to go with the limitations and find ways around them.

10 years is a large span to cover in an era that saw many livery changes on DMU's, if you wanted to model a certain unit, you may find that from 75-85 the unit could have gone from Rail Blue to refurbished then to Blue Grey, and on certain classes into NSE upswept, some unit will have gone from Rail Blue straight to Blue Grey, a lot depends on what you want to model and when in a certain time.

Best regards

Craig.

Mainly I'm covering the refurbished white/blue units, along with some plain blue ones too. Any units going to NSE would have disappeared from my layout, as it is nowhere near the NSE area. I've seen a few Hornby 121's in plain blue with yellow cab doors, so I might end up having 2 121's! I'm also thinking of a Met-Camm (a class 101, 102 or 111), which I may make it a mix of white/blue and plain blue.

Mainly I'm covering the refurbished white/blue units, along with some plain blue ones too. Any units going to NSE would have disappeared from my layout, as it is nowhere near the NSE area. I've seen a few Hornby 121's in plain blue with yellow cab doors, so I might end up having 2 121's! I'm also thinking of a Met-Camm (a class 101, 102 or 111), which I may make it a mix of white/blue and plain blue.

Hello, the plain blue with yellow doors where late 1960's, along with plain blue and small yellow warning panels, these where experimental liveries by BR.

HTH

Craig.

The one with yellow cab doors could work as a departmental unit too. I was thinking of a couple of departmentals to well, do departmental duties. Could work as a parcels unit too. I guess I just get easily tempted by liveries I haven't seen before or ones that look interesting to me.

• Like 1

Dodgy instamatic shot of 56283 and 55034 looking pretty clean at Swindon station 19/5/79 (the date of a works open day).

attachicon.gif126_0046.jpg

Great pic! I tried to persuade the powers that be to do the sandite car 55024 in white blue, it ended up in maroon instead, given what it was doing that's not a bad idea!

• Like 3