The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

WEC series sports cars have tyres that can last far longer than in F1, they have in the  LMP1 class up to 1000bhp available, albeit on a 50-50 split between axles and power source, rear wheels by i/c engine front by electric power. They weigh more than an F1 car and have for many races proved the tyres will last 2 hrs if need be. As they refuel approximately every hour and don't always change tyres it seems to me that F1 could have a race tyre to last the distance. I suspect if they did an ever stretching  procession would be the normal race, even more than we see now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is no question that Pirelli make the tyres to FIA order, in terms of designed life. Pirelli could make them last a fortnight if that was the spec. The tyres being "fragile" does spice things up, but other factors like the aero drag and dead air behind the car in front serve to spoil the party. 

... The tyres being "fragile" does spice things up, but other factors like the aero drag and dead air behind the car in front serve to spoil the party. 

I'd prefer robust tyres, and no aero effect, much more exciting. We can fix the reduction in cornering speeds with magnadhesion if we want. Steel plates under the circuit corners, electromagnet under car*, design and driver decisions how to distribute the electrical energy, for a mix of drive power and enhanced grip on a circuit by circuit and prevailing weather conditions basis. No aero effect to prevent close following, the return of proper slipstreaming on the straights with no need for stupid fixes like DRS, and overtaking to lap without need for blue flags.

*System disabled on street circuits to prevent picking up a steel access cover and then dropping it in front of your fast gaining opponent.

No aero effect to prevent close following, the return of proper slipstreaming on the straights with no need for stupid fixes like DRS, and overtaking to lap without need for blue flags.

Blue flags have been used to indicate that a faster driver is close behind (stationary) or is trying to overtake (waved) since the year dot, long before modern aerodynamics became such a hindrance to overtaking in the premier racing series.  They're used in motorcyle racing which has no aero worth speaking of, and AFAIAA they use them in karting as well, which is about as un-aerodynamic as any four-wheel racing series I can think of.

• Like 1

FP1 has been wet and cold in Texas. Lewis did a magnificent 6 (!) timed laps and was faster than the next best - Bottas - by 1.3 seconds. Race day will be dry, though, but it isn't a good start for the other 19!

Steve Jones and Karoon on C4 have just said it will be raining on Sunday? either way, Lewis was 2 secs quicker than Vettle in 5th this morning with the two Bulls up there in 3rd and 4th.

Edited by Andrew P

Right now, the Weather Channel is saying dry there for Sunday. 

Hope so Ian.

I've just seen that Vettle may / Should have a 3 place grid penalty for speeding under Red Flag this morning, it's a standard punishment that Ricciardo and Ocon had earlier in the year.

• RMweb Gold

Hope so Ian.

I've just seen that Vettle may / Should have a 3 place grid penalty for speeding under Red Flag this morning, it's a standard punishment that Ricciardo and Ocon had earlier in the year.

But things like that don't apply to Ferraris, Andy!

I've been reading the comments about the all time "top five" and particularly those who say Hamilton shouldn't be in there because he's had the best equipment but then say the likes of Clark, Fangio, Senna and Schmacher should... Even though they also had the best equipment... The wonders of bias over logic, eh...

Edited by Hobby

I've been reading the comments about the all time "top five" and particularly those who say Hamilton shouldn't be in there because he's had the best equipment but then say the likes of Clark, Fangio, Senna and Schmacher should... Even though they also had the best equipment... The wonders of bias over logic, eh...

You also make your own luck, ask Seb this year, compared to 2010 / 11 / 12 / 13

I saw where Alfonso put Hamilton in his top five, which surprised me a little. Not 'cos he put Hamilton in, but 'cos he didn't put himself in as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For reasons not obvious to me, the F1 Quali from Austin is much later in the day than the usual European time. As I type it is nearly 16.00 there, and C4 is still wasting my evening with reruns and clips from previous races and crap. And some sort of presentation about Ferrari by the loathsome EJ. Those are fitted in between the ads, of course. Not that I've turned the sound on yet. Will I really miss F1 if it is pay-to-view only? I may go to bed shortly, confident that my absence will not affect the outcome!