Motorising an Amercom SECR C class

Hi all,

I recently picked up a couple of the Great British Locomotives C class with a view to motorising - one I'd like to keep more-or-less as is, and the other I'd like to turn into a freelance Victorian light railway engine.

My question is, has anyone around here motorised one of these and if so, how? I've heard people talk about using a Hornby 0-6-0 tank chassis and about using the Airfix/Hornby 4F mechanism. However, the latter doesn't seem to fit under the splashers and the former will require some serious carving - something I'm a bit reluctant to do if there's a better alternative. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

If you ask me, the Airfix 4F chassis fits quite well!

attachicon.gif2017-07-23 18.22.08.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-07-23 18.39.19.jpg

Gary

That looks pretty dashed fine. I might have to give it another go. The 4F wheelbase and wheel size look pretty much identical, so I was surprised when I couldn't get it to work.

Did you have to do anything to the body to get it to fit?

(off topic, but I like the presence of the R1 - I was thinking of getting one as a follow-up)

• Like 1

Any of the Derby wheelbase (8'+8'6" / 32 + 34 mm) 0-6-0s are potential candidates for a fit, motor height and wheel diameter the major aspects that will determine if a mechansm will fit, or not. Bachmann's Jinty and MR 3F are alternative candidates.

The Hornby 'universal 0-6-0 chassis' found under their Jinty and 'everything else' that isn't a recent scale tooling is actually too short in wheelbase, a 'one size fits all but none of them correct' solution from the bad old days (design origins in the 1950s when tooling mechanisms was expensive).

I had to cut some of the C Class footplate away so that it sat lower on the chassis as it was to high but other than that it was untouched.

I have just finished the R1, using transfers I downloaded from RMWeb!

attachicon.gif2018-01-17 22.04.42.jpg

Gary

Thanks, I think I'm going to give the 4F chassis concept a go, then.

Also, the R1 looks absolutely gorgeous. It's amazing what a good paint job can do for an old model.

Any of the Derby wheelbase (8'+8'6" / 32 + 34 mm) 0-6-0s are potential candidates for a fit, motor height and wheel diameter the major aspects that will determine if a mechansm will fit, or not. Bachmann's Jinty and MR 3F are alternative candidates.

The Hornby 'universal 0-6-0 chassis' found under their Jinty and 'everything else' that isn't a recent scale tooling is actually too short in wheelbase, a 'one size fits all but none of them correct' solution from the bad old days (design origins in the 1950s when tooling mechanisms was expensive).

To be honest, I think I'm going to abandon the concept of using the Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, because the amount of modification I'd need to make to the loco is rather beyond my capabilities. I envision this as a quick-and-cheap project, just for a bit of fun.

• RMweb Gold

Also, the R1 looks absolutely gorgeous. It's amazing what a good paint job can do for an old model.

While the paint job makes a huge difference, and I have seen Hornby-Dublo R1s that have only had that and look amazing, mine went into a bit more detail. Which you can see on my thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107470-oak-hill-lbscr-secr-1905ish/page-40&do=findComment&comment=2781657

I hope you don't mind me posting the link.

Gary

I don't mind at all, in fact it's very useful. My brother is a big fan of that thread, being an enthusiast of the pre-Grouping Southern constituents.

I just hope I can resist the urge to turn this from a quick one-off project into a full-on layout...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear I have fans!! Is your brother a member on here? If so, if he hasn't already he should come and say hi on the thread, I always enjoy talking with people that like my modelling!!

Go on you know you want a layout!!!! The SE&CR is so well catered for with R-T-R now that it is starting to become a real possibility for anyone to model it!!!

Gary

• Like 1