MBA monster box question

rob D2

Hi,

I’m looking to get some models of these for the next plank.

Why do some have buffers and some not ? Do they need buffer equipped at the end of each. Rake and I’m guessing only class 66 can pull these as they have knuckle couplings ?

TIA

The (fixed) rakes had a buffer fitted wagon at the outer ends, they would then form up the rakes into the length of train required, then they fitted the 66s with swinghead couplers so they could attach directly to the (former) inner wagons rendering the buffer fitted (outer) wagons superfluous so rakes started to operate with the knuckle fitted wagons as the outer wagons as well, which is all welland good until it breaks down and needs assistance from the rear which can only be a knuckle fitted loco.

I suppose it is 'good' that the freight sector is starting to suffer the same sort of coupling farces as the passenger railway has had to endure for years

This is a very simplistic breakdown and I am sure others will be able to give you chapter and verse.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

The buffer fitted wagons have swinghead buckeyes, same as a 66. I believe originally they were configured into sets with the swingheads at the outer ends to allow non 66s (or pre buckeye fitted 66s, as per royaloak's post) to haul them. However, as set lengths varied these semi permanent groups (of fives from memory?) got shuffled to give more flexibility and the sets tend to appear rather shuffled.

There may be a need to put a pair of buffer fitted wagons in the centre of the set if the set needs to be split in two for loading or unloading and the terminal shunt loco doesn't have buckeye couplers.

If hauled by a 60 or a 59, obviously you'd need buffer fitted at the end of the set

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

Good gen guys - I guess they don't run in fixed take of 5 anymore ? I've got space for less than that, they are massive

I have seen locos hauling just one or two of them.

I think the buffers outer was just the railways sticking to how things have been done in the past (we dont do change :no: ), once the 66s were fitted with swingheads there was no reason DBS (EWS as was) needed to keep the buffers on the wagons.

At Celsa steelworks in Cardiff all the scrap comes in currently using rakes of MBAs. To allow the shunters to move them they use an old BRA steel carrier (outwardly the same as the BYA) that's missing a few roof sections as a 'translator vehicle' with the swing-head couplings used to couple to MBAs without buffers and hooks. A nice conversion for a Bachmann BYA perhaps and an excuse to use things other than class 66s?

Hywel

I have seen locos hauling just one or two of them.

I think the buffers outer was just the railways sticking to how things have been done in the past (we dont do change :no: ), once the 66s were fitted with swingheads there was no reason DBS (EWS as was) needed to keep the buffers on the wagons.

When built there were still plenty of 60's and other traction with just conventional drawgear still in use with EWS only the HTA's were all built from new with ixed auto couplers but some were later modified or use on traffic to Earles! The BRA/BYA were all built with swingheads from new!

Mark Saunders

IIRC, when they were designed, Ed Burkhart (sp?) and Wisconsin Central had hoped to get a derogation for a 30t axle-load on designated routes, and specified the wagon size accordingly. The only loads which can fill these wagons to capacity are shredded scrap and timber; if you fill them to the top with coal or stone, they gross-out at about 120t

• RMweb Premium

That would be when they were carrying Coal as can be seen with the remains of the load!

There was a flow of coal from Immingham to the cement works at Ketton and Rugby around that time, but it was usually in MEAs, so not sure what the destination was when loaded.

Dave

When built there were still plenty of 60's and other traction with just conventional drawgear still in use with EWS only the HTA's were all built from new with ixed auto couplers but some were later modified or use on traffic to Earles! The BRA/BYA were all built with swingheads from new!

Mark Saunders

Mark, agree, I think it is all too easy to overlook how historical these wagons are :sungum:

Paul

I find them fairly interesting as some of the scrap trains visit out of the normal industrial zones.

Such as Swindon, Lincoln, Exeter, st blazey ( finished now ).

And the scrap traffic makes for colourful wagon fillers