Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Good strong track Pins ?

I bought some track pins in the UK about a year ago.. They were either Peco or Bachmann ..

But found they bent very easy hammering them into the baseboard.

While in the US a bought some over there which were REALLY good. problem is i have ran out of the little . And the guy wants 25 Dollars to ship more plus i might get taxed on delivery..

Where can i buy some strong ones from in the UK ?? around 1mm thick and 8-10mm long (Or there abouts) Thanks in advance

Nick

Before you get over-run by the clamouring hordes telling you what a bad idea track pins are in the first place, I'll just nip in & say that I always found Hornby's pins were the best.

Tin hats on, everyone...

Why are track pins bad..? 

My layout runs fine. I have flexi track and find them very good, no issues yet. And to make adjustments you just take them up.. 

Works for me.. 

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Like 1

What it sounds like from OP, they were Atlas N scale track pins. I had a good number left after a small N scale layout years ago and Ive been using them since to represent rivets in Gauge 3.  

Strong pins they are, almost nails really.  

Where are you looking that theyre asking $25 to ship to UK?

I've used Hornby pins for all my non - scenic track, always found them strong but I do tend to drill a pilot hole through the sleeper and into the board first, either with a Archimedian pin vice, or if I am laying in bulk, a mini drill.

Forcing the pins through the sleepers is a recipe for bending the pins, sleepers and the track.