Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

I read the other day in a very old copy of 'Scale Model Trains' that the 'American' 4-4-0 design came about because of the need for a more forgiving ride on the typically rough tracks of the early US railroads. Hence, the prototype engines had  side beams on the driving wheels connecting to the bogie truck to give a three point suspension. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CKPR said:

I read the other day in a very old copy of 'Scale Model Trains' that the 'American' 4-4-0 design came about because of the need for a more forgiving ride on the typically rough tracks of the early US railroads. Hence, the prototype engines had  side beams on the driving wheels connecting to the bogie truck to give a three point suspension. 

That’s the point: all “Americans” (wrt wheel arrangement) are 4-4-0s, but not all 4-4-0s are Americans.

But, the side beams between the drivers connected the driving wheel inboard spring hangers, and had no connection to the bogie truck, which was independent of them.

Edited by Regularity
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree that some level of liveliness would be prototypical, but the amount of slop in the wheel-rail interface in On30 is likely to lead to a lot of liveliness! That said, at least the loco has a relatively long coupled wheelbase for a 4-4-0, but the front bogie sticks out a long way too! By the time the pilot/cowcatcher is added, more than half the loco length will be in front of the leading axle. I suspect some wire springing will solve the issue, but it's still something I am aware of as a potential issue.

• Like 2

Well, the front running board pilot beam has been added, which is a really awkward shape (especially without any top views!), and work has started on the tender. As built, the loco was handbraked on the rear bogie truck of the tender only, before gaining a Westinghouse pump on the right-hand-side of the loco (but still no loco brakes, at least in preservation!).

I'm slightly torn on how to model the loco (with or without the Westinghouse pump), but as this is to be a one-off project, I think I'd like to model the loco as built, meaning no Westinghouse pump.

Render.PNG.5a0f88849385a933701ae8d9cde25ed7.PNG

The pilot ("cowcatcher" itself is also an awkward shape to model - this loco, rather than the traditional all-wooden construction that springs to mind with an American 4-4-0, has one made up of angle iron, in an odd shape that defies verbal explanation! That will require some thoughts as to how to model it.

image.png.656a1d829b3c491b6263383cfba68eaa.png

This screenshot from the game Railroads Online shows the shapes at the front of the loco which I have to contend with!

• Like 7

IT LIVES!
Camp horror movie villain laughter ensues

Apologies for the background noise, the incorrect coaching stock, and the non-functioning upper quadrant signal (it was the layout's first exhibition and there are still some bits to finish!) . But it lives! It runs! (and much less lumpy than it was)

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

A haulage test has now been carried out. With only a little slipping on starting, the A12 will haul 5 bogie carriages, two 6-wheelers and three 4-wheelers, on the straight and level. 

This is far more than I ever expected or hoped! 

20220517_192710.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

A haulage test has now been carried out. With only a little slipping on starting, the A12 will haul 5 bogie carriages, two 6-wheelers and three 4-wheelers, on the straight and level. 

20220517_192710.jpg

Far more than the real thing too, I suspect! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Not really.  In this view, from the Mike Morant collection, this Jubilee is hauling 9 bogie coaches, and it is around 40 years old!

LSWR Adams A12 'Jubilee' class 0-4-2 No. 643 with an Up passenger train comprising entirely pre-grouping stock passing through Raynes Park station. The headcode suggets that this is possibly a Southampton terminus to Waterloo service. There seems to be no 'E' prefix to the engine number which suggests that this shot was taken after 1934 when it was removed but counter to that is that there are brass plates on both the trailing splasher and the cab side which suggests that this is probably a 1920's view and the 'E' prefix on the tender isn't visible on the negative. 643 was built by Neilson's in 1893 and survived WW2 only to be withdrawn in July 1947. Some supporting notes from Chris Knowles-Thomas: "An all LSWR train!  The leading four coaches are a non-corridor lavatory '4-LAV' set of 1906.  The SR started to reduce these to '3-LAV' sets in 1935 but it took a number of years to complete the process.  The last four seem to be another 4-set of some kind with an odd loose coach between the two 4-sets." [Mike Morant collection]

If I'm going to try it with 9 bogies on, I'm going to need a bigger layout!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

That said, I think the picture might show two 4-sets, rather than a 9-carriage train. 

But with some shorter, lower roofed, possibly 6-wheel carriage sandwiched between them.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 21:26, Skinnylinny said:

20220517_192710.jpg

Pretty impressive for a relatively small loco!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Well, some actual layout work has been carried out. Not much, but it's a start! Readers may remember a while back that I built a Fair Price Models shop kit, with the intention of it becoming a shoe shop. Well, the window display has finally been painted, assembled and glued into place:

20220525_224514.jpg

The display shelves and shoes are from a Dornaplas kit, and the "Shoes" and "Boots" lettering were part of the shop sign included in said kit (although I didn't want to use the main shop name, so some lettering from the transfers box was pressed into service. The main sign still looks a bit empty and I'll want to find some more small gold lettering to fill out the spaces either side of "BURTONS" (Should this have an apostrophe? I'm not sure... Maybe it's run by a married couple).

I think this window display really brings the shop to life though, and I had a lot of fun assembling it!

20220525_205555.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

It should have an apostrophe, either before the S if there is one Burton, after if more than one...

Unless it's a Greengrocer of course, in which case they should simply be scattered around randomly whenever an S appears. Apple's, Orange's, 'Strawberrie's, Watercre's's, 'squa'sh...

• Funny 3

I thought so, but "Burtons of Linton" doesn't feel right with one!

The greengrocer is next door...

20220526_112043.jpg
And yes, those upstairs windows will get a coat of something that is not gloss white at some point!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2