Denton Ish - Operational Diorama

mike tugsandsheds

As some of you may have seen my Gallery which I'm starting to populate with the plethora of detailed and weathered loco's.

I thought it was time to pull the covers of Denton Ish now that it's 75% complete and within the next few weeks will be scenicly complete.

For anyone who knows Denton, Gtr Manchester it's loosely based on this and South Reddish on the Stockport - Stalybridge line.

Nice simple track plan and some basic scenery utilising a load of materials that were left in the loft by my dad.

As you'll see from my gallery pictures it gives me something to run and photo my loco's on.

I'll post some actual pictures of the layout tonight, long with some other pictures in the gallery as I get locos out of the box

Thanks smile.gif

Hi Mike

If you are modeling the present day Denton, it dose have the most irregular passenger service in the UK, one train in one direction each week.

Journey summary Outward Journey (09 Apr 2010)Stockport 09.22

arrive

Denton 09.31

Don't miss it

Gary

Never thought I'd hear of Stalybridge station again - I spent many a miserable hour there freezing various parts of my anatomy off in the late 70s, waiting for the train over to Leeds. Never been anywhere that felt so cold, and I've lived in Finland the last 15 years!

Hi Mike

If you are modeling the present day Denton, it dose have the most irregular passenger service in the UK, one train in one direction each week.

Journey summary Outward Journey (09 Apr 2010)Stockport 09.22

arrive

Denton 09.31

Don't miss it

Gary

Hi Gary

As it's loosely based on Denton I have 2 Northern Rail Class 153's for this purpose, I'll post some pics later

Regards

Mike smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've added some more pictures to the gallery, and I'm finshing of painting the steps, hope to have the retaining wall and bridfge structures finished in May, then I'll be erecting a permanent framework for the boards to be bolted to permanently.

I can then start to look at plans for a possible Multi Company TMD site

Please xxcheck out my Gallery and let me nkow what you think

Cheers

Mikebiggrin.gif

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
I'm thinking of possibly exhibiting, please can I have your thoughts

I can well remember the Stalybridge-Stockport shuttle of the 80's and I think you have got a lot of the general layout and stuff right, the basic platform accessed from road above etc. The back of the layout looks largely good.

I appreciate the layouts still under construction, but if it was mine:

1 Weathering (or more weathering): on track & ballast, retaining wall

2 Bare ballast and Lichen, I can see you want the old unused platform to still be in someway visible, how about the brick wall visible but the rest overtaken by nature. Lichen is (trying to be polite ;) ) dated and I'd put something like coarse foliage maybe even over the top of the lichen bits rather than faffing about taking out, let the vegetation creep up around the bottom of stairway & pillars too the track weedkiller only goes so far.

3 Back of layout is generally good, but blue sky is too much and shows creases, I'd replace that with something more neutral like a plain white or grey sky?

4 make sure of reliable running and fiddle yards (I'm not going to offer any advice on that! :lol: :lol: )

Well you did ask! its a good start tho' its easily recognisable as to what it portrays, just needs more grot! :lol:

• 7 months later...

I'll be updating this thread later on this week with more up to date pictures prior to it's move to the shed

I plan to build new fiddleyards to allow wagon rakes to run through Denton Ish along with the odd railtour

Please check out my gallery pics although there will be more Pics to follow....

I plan to build new fiddleyards to allow wagon rakes to run through Denton Ish along with the odd railtour

Like this one, D1015 at Denton on the 20 Mar 2010 on the The Western Rocks tour.

post-7480-0-33912000-1307992341_thumb.jpg

A funny story, my mates decided to go on a grand pub crawl of the Manchester area using the trains (I wasn't with them, I don't do this kinda thing, anyway I couldn't get the day off work i did try), the whole event was planed around the one train a week to stop at Denton, don't know what pub they went in but it must have been good, you guest it, they missed the train!

Gary

Like this one, D1015 at Denton on the 20 Mar 2010 on the The Western Rocks tour.

post-7480-0-33912000-1307992341_thumb.jpg

A funny story, my mates decided to go on a grand pub crawl of the Manchester area using the trains (I wasn't with them, I don't do this kinda thing, anyway I couldn't get the day off work i did try), the whole event was planed around the one train a week to stop at Denton, don't know what pub they went in but it must have been good, you guest it, they missed the train!

Gary

Oh Dear

I'll have to get a Heljan or Dapol Western now :yahoo:

Having passed over Denton station many, many times on the M67, I always wondered if it was still open.

Reminds me a bit of Bordesley near B'ham Moor St, and model-wise, of the station on Ian Futer's mid-80s layout "Burnfoot". Anyone else remember that?

Denton was always much more fun by trolleybus! I think I've been on the station in the 1980's. Was one of the waiting room buildings way below platform level because the platform had been raised?

Hi

since the M67 was built there has been no station buildings but a bus shelter on the island platform which was removed in the 1990's

Denton used to have 4 tracks and an amazing goods yard back in the day. It's a shame to se it as it is now.

I was spotting in the mid to late 80's and saw the Harwich Boat Train come round the curve at Denton Junction and saw all of the GWR namer Class 47's, ansd loads of other celbrity loco's

The one I most remember was the first named Class 31 31 296 Tren Nwydau Amlwch/Amlwch Freighter light engine from Guide bridge direction. The rapture that day.

We also used to jump the 122 Bubble Car at around twenty past 12 into stockport stay on it and the see a Class 33 on the Cardiff Train (Unheard of ordinarily in the North West)

Those were the days !:cry:

The one I most remember was the first named Class 31 31 296 Tren Nwydau Amlwch/Amlwch Freighter light engine from Guide bridge direction. The rapture that day.

Isn't it always the way. I covered the naming at Amlwch then we never saw the beggar again. There is some 1960s footage on a B&R Video with plenty of trains passing but not one of 'em stopped at Denton. My pa worked in Denton in the 1940s and early 50s, hence the trolleybus rides.

Isn't it always the way. I covered the naming at Amlwch then we never saw the beggar again. There is some 1960s footage on a B&R Video with plenty of trains passing but not one of 'em stopped at Denton. My pa worked in Denton in the 1940s and early 50s, hence the trolleybus rides.

Unfortunately or fortunately I'm the archytypal Dentoinian, my family go back several generations, involved in the longgone era of hatmaking although my Great Grandfather used to drive trams and family legend has it knocked over a policeman controlling traffic at crown point !

I also have pictures of the trolleybuses, but no pictures of the old station.

My layout is not a slavish copy but has the basics

My other project once I move to the shed will be a North Wales Coast station that I hope to be able to model on Llanfairfechan.

Anyhow Coachman thanks for the Banter

• 2 weeks later...

Okays so a bit more progress, photo's to follow in due course:

Motorway wall in place and access steps will be finished this evening.

Smal Fuelling point (fictitious addition for interest) secured in place.

Hoping to have the first pass of scenics done before I depart on me hols.

Also looking to build the shed on return from hols to relocate all things Model Railway :yahoo:

I will look to upload photo's this evening, the other thing I'll be doing on return from hols is building the new fiddle yards ready for exhibiting in the Autumn

Cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Post Water Damage:

I have repaired the retaining wall and the backscene has now dried out although the glue has reacted causing more ripples than I'd like.

Denton Ish will be my stay at home photgraphic Diorama I'm afraid. I don't think she'll stand up to the scrutiny of exhibition

Need to look at getting the North Wales Coast idea up and running over the winter !

Archived