OO Peco Curved Turn Outs

AdeMoore

• RMweb Premium

Background My son has let me take over his old layout (started out as a Thomas set ) not touched in 15 years just a simple extended tail chaser.

Anyway to ease myself into things rather than starting something grand I thought I’d just use it to get a feel for modelling to a point where I’m happy with my skills from weathering track to building scenery etc. Then see about something new.

Ok to the point I would like to add a curved point to lead to a BLT but Peco don’t seem to provide a template of the ones I fitted 15 odd years ago, I’m guessing it’s a code 100 PECO ST-244 00/H0 CURVED DOUBLE RADIUS RIGHT HAND POINT I’m wondering if anyone can confirm this from my photo.

Also a more general view with a couple of curve pieces put where the flexible track I’m thinking of using will go.

Any feedback on that also appreciated.

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore

In the right hand photo. On the outside track, there's a join with some broken sleepers, at that joint I'd put a right hand turn out in there.

Set right, the train continues on your original track, set straight, it picks up the new.

• RMweb Premium

In the right hand photo. On the outside track, there's a join with some broken sleepers, at that joint I'd put a right hand turn out in there.

Set right, the train continues on your original track, set straight, it picks up the new.

Cheers for that I’ll try a template tomorrow, but I reckon it has to be curved to get it around before the baseboard edge (directly under the camera) I’ll post a better photo tomorrow.

Looking at the photograph on the left, I'd agree that it looks like the set track version, which does seem to be ST-244, but like you, I can't see a template for it on the Peco website, but then I often fail to find things on the Peco website.  I think the equivalent turnout in the Hornby range is R8074, but again, I can't find a template on the Hornby website although I think they are interchangeable.

There is another thread about these points on RMWeb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124441-peco-setrack-curved-points/ and one of the contributors indicates that the geometry was changed at some point to eliminate what was a 1st radius curve.  You may therefore not be able to replicate exactly what you currently have.

If you want the radii of the double radius curved point already laid, as opposed to the template you show next to it, then you need the Peco set track curved point ST-244 (RH). The template you have printed is for a larger double radius point, probably SL-86 (RH).

Looking at the photograph on the left, I'd agree that it looks like the set track version, which does seem to be ST-244, but like you, I can't see a template for it on the Peco website, but then I often fail to find things on the Peco website.

Peco no longer do templates for Setrack turnouts.

It's difficult to tell for sure with the perspective of the photo but I think what the OP has is the more modern version of the Setrack curved point where both roads are nominal 2nd radius.  I say that because, looking at the outer rail of at the toe end of the turnout, it seems to my eye that the rail starts off straight before the curve begins.    A Setrack curved turnout is basically one 2nd radius curve superimposed on a 67mm straight followed by a 2nd radius curve - and that's the 67mm straight bit I'm seeing in the photo.  Add more 2nd radius track segments to each road until you have two 90° bends (you need one of the 11.25° half curves on the inner road) and you end up with two parallel tracks at the standard Setrack 67mm spacing.

The Streamline curved points are based around two curves of different radii - and significantly larger radii then the Setrack ones to boot.

Edited by ejstubbs

The Streamline curved points are based around two curves of different radii - and significantly larger radii then the Setrack ones to boot.

Yes, "significantly' is the word! Nominally the radii of the large curved points are 2' and 5'. Personally I'd prefer something like 2' and 3', but they do give a lovely 'flow' to the track.

• Like 1

Yes the laid curved turnout is a Setrack ST244 I recall using 2 on my first ever layout they were a PITA with constant derailments the huge frog gap and alignment not helping.....some locos stock just refused to run through them......

Likewise, I had a couple on my old layout, and the geometry really caused problems. While they are nominally 2nd radius for both curves, in practice there is a tight bit where the two curves first separate, so it acts more like a 1st radius curve for a short section. that short section was enough to cause derailments and binding for long wheelbase rigid stock and locos. Certain items of stock were barred from using the inner loop because of this.

• Like 1

You may have a different turnout.  Prior to the current Peco curved turnouts, there were ST-242/243 turnouts, which have a sharper radius than the current ST-244/245.  If you do a Google search under the 242/243 numbers, looking at images, you can at least see these and visually compare to what you have.  There is no template.  The best you can do is to print a photo and see how one looks next to what you have.  Some may complain that this or that loco did not work with these.  For your purposes, they should be OK.  Like anything else, you buy on Ebay.

John Hutnick

• RMweb Premium

If you want the radii of the double radius curved point already laid, as opposed to the template you show next to it, then you need the Peco set track curved point ST-244 (RH). The template you have printed is for a larger double radius point, probably SL-86 (RH).

Thanks for all the replies chaps you are some night owls to get up and find that lot in your inbox, thanks a great help.

Mike I think you are bang on it is a “Curved Double Radius Turnout SL-86 which I thought was what I had initially! Anyway now I now I need another ST-244 (RH) so thanks for all the input.

As for running no problem though I did have to file one point blade on the tip to a razor! And polish the check rail? It closes to behind on one. Mind you I’m only running tender locos at the moment as that’s all I have. A Mogul and a West Country. But I’ll make em work never give up on those kind of things.

A couple more photos as ejstubbs said the perspective was awkward.

And the proposed terminus is where you see the delightful Hornby controller tother end.

post-32910-0-11680500-1517300611_thumb.jpeg

post-32910-0-74907000-1517300638_thumb.jpeg

post-32910-0-31683400-1517300660_thumb.jpeg