• RMweb Gold

The heavy sleeper-built buffer-stop was completed and set into place.IMGP0024.JPG.debda0697d1f41c51c2f0755eb3b1da6.JPG

And more was done to the coal stage. Wooden Plastikard cladding and a bit of the roof.

IMGP0026.JPG.1e3a94d7967b38c3a3e37826a8aa2d7e.JPG

IMGP0027.JPG.c8394a1a39251f360b99d1bd09ffc480.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The coaling stage is nearing completion. I'm wondering whether to put guttering on the roof front edges. On some photos it's there, others not. I guess it would stop rain going down the necks of the loco men. The coaling crane that goes on the brick plinth is going to be interesting. There are few photos that show it and even then there's an engine in the way.

4429 comes in off a Derby-Derwent goods trip to add a bit more coal and water to the tender as a Derwent-Manchester all-stations in the background departs on the up line.

IMG_5766.JPG.34c7f6e9fd0a54361e574d819a25d684.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG.195f2fc885b7b11187493c5f04793e0c.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG.b2d3076c67c10036ee17cf12b7feb0ba.JPG

I'll straighten the legs that hold up the front gable when the ground cover has been completed.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris. I don't know what to do with the interior of the coaling stage as no photos I have show the inside. Would there be staithes next to the coal supply line or was coal just tipped on the floor and left in heaps? Who knows?

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I'm wondering whether to put guttering on the roof front edges. On some photos it's there, others not. I guess it would stop rain going down the necks of the loco men.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't guttering, to be honest Jonathan, it's not something they would leave off for even low status buildings.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

.....Would there be staithes next to the coal supply line or was coal just tipped on the floor and left in heaps? Who knows?

I’m afraid I can’t help you there unfortunately, my knowledge is quite limited (hence the vast amount of daft questions I usually ask :blush:)

I tend to opt for rule #1 of late otherwise I’d get nothing done worrying about it being accurate

but I agree with Al about guttering

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan. I can only find 2 photos on google and sadly there is a loco bang in the way of a good view on both of them and they are a bit distant as well. Have you asked Butterly or the midland railway study center, mind you I think that the study center is at Butterly but anyway just stick .org on the end of either and you will get the websites. I'll have a look at a few books later for you as well just on the off chance. I never miss a chance to leaf through books about midland... well anything if I'm honest, this may take some time as I get sidetracked easily you understand.:senile: 

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Midland Railway Study Centre is nothing to do with Butterley - it's run by the Midland Railway Society in partnership with Derby Museums and is normally located in the Silk Mill at Derby. This, however, is undergoing refurbishing and redevelopment at present and all the archives and artefacts are in remote storage but there is still limited access and the Study Centre Co-ordination will always try to help. Contact him via the Midland Railway Study Centre website.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Yes I just found that out myself and was about to correct myself but you beat me to it. There might even be a drawing in the county archive as well or Kew. There will be a record of it somewhere even if Derby burnt the Midland's one, there should be a record in the county or even the town planning office archives. It's just a matter of finding it...........he said with totally unfounded optimism.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold

Ok here's what I found so far. This type of coaling facility seems to be known as a "coal shed". I have found 2 examples of this sort of Midland building so far and they are at Buxton and St Albans, and whilst they have differences, eg. an extra post either side of the center gable, they are to the same design. The two images I found on google have the internal view obscured by engines the  one at St Albans is shown in some detail on page 35 of LMS Engine Sheds Vol. 2 and  much less so on pages 180 and 182 of the same book. I therefore submit to you that in the absence of other data you could do worse than copy the St Albans version from the plate on page 35 of the aforementioned book, the clarity of the detail is of such quality that I seriously doubt you can better it. All in the first book I looked in too.

Regards Lez.  

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, lezz01 said:

There will be a record of it somewhere even if Derby burnt the Midland's one, there should be a record in the county

Ah. So it’s true, then: whilst Crewe made the history books, Derby burned them...

• RMweb Gold

Yes sadly much was lost. I don't know for certain myself of course but it is mentioned in several Midland loco books that they had a clear out and whilst I believe some things were saved by forward thinking individuals and now form privet archives, most of it was sent to the big filing cabinet in the sky! Tragic really. But then I do understand the logic to a point, everything about the future and these locos are long gone etc, but it was a tragic waste nonetheless.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Coaling shed now with added rain goods thanks to prompting by  Alister_G and chuffinghell of this parish. The down pipes were on the gable legs on the real thing but they are a bit flimsy on the model, so I've put them on the end walls. As is usual with railway structures a loco is in the way!

IMG_5771.JPG.1bdcccdc57aba5c0e6123d1b1cef96bc.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG.c6e725c1809145f87e29b80b7b7b626e.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple or so weeks ago we had an away day in Edinburgh and an obligatory visit to Harburn Hobbies was made where among other things I picked up a Model Scene kit for a Thornycroft PB 4 ton lorry. Here she is in Halford's plastic primer.

IMGP0030.JPG.9cb25b0338fe717a5c8da62185205bce.JPG

IMGP0032.JPG.f7afd2f56f5cc76b506761fa98541b9b.JPG

I'm thinking of painting her maroon as when I was a boy our coalman had his lorry this colour and it will add a bit of colour to the yard.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

A couple or so weeks ago we had an away day in Edinburgh and an obligatory visit to Harburn Hobbies was made where among other things I picked up a Model Scene kit for a Thornycroft PB 4 ton lorry. Here she is in Halford's plastic primer.

IMGP0030.JPG.9cb25b0338fe717a5c8da62185205bce.JPG

IMGP0032.JPG.f7afd2f56f5cc76b506761fa98541b9b.JPG

I'm thinking of painting her maroon as when I was a boy our coalman had his lorry this colour and it will add a bit of colour to the yard.

Very nice!

How was the kit to assemble?

• RMweb Gold

A bit of top coat has been added. The Humbrol rattle can in maroon I had gave up the ghost, there wasn't much in it anyway, so it was a paintbrush job with red. It might be a bit bright. I'll see what it's like after weathering.

IMGP0045.JPG.385a549ac10f93d8bfdd7cd42053b0b4.JPG

IMGP0046.JPG.6adaf9baeea6f815dd03010fa7263bad.JPG

IMGP0047.JPG.d298c47b5a9c3ac2cef905933d11a979.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Since the coaling stage is finished apart from grounding it into its site, I decided to tackle the coaling hoist. Parts of the real thing appear in photos but are mainly obscured by engines. I used a plan drawn by @queensquareof this parish who is making a 2mm version of a similar Midland coaling stage and photos from Scenes from the Past No7 by JM Bentley (Foxline). My hoist is only a representation and has used parts from two Ratio 531 yard crane kits, a level crossing signal box wheel from their interior kit and some bits of plastic strip.

Here's the start.

IMGP0048.JPG.5dc62803f57c6510faafc4be16af97db.JPG

The base boss is 2/3 plus 1/3 of the boss from the kits welded together.

IMGP0049.JPG.cd1116f03e53778c025a2711919763a8.JPG

The rear cog and the pulley wheel are really too big. The square base was done away with in the end.

IMGP0050.JPG.5169b5e66032bcb114ab72f012f679d3.JPG

The operating side. On the real thing this should be above the axle of the large cog but would have been too high for my 4mm=1ft men to operate.

IMGP0051.JPG.9a4efa922eda63327c3324cbf81ec828.JPG

More plastic strip attached.

IMGP0052.JPG.23e9d73487258095933c9d7c2fa980b1.JPG

Hoist in situ.

IMGP0055.JPG.6b406b1661834e4e31f34e12ad6ad711.JPG

And as on so many photos with an engine in the way.

IMGP0054.JPG.9dc1119f6d8006efe59f2e771a143ada.JPG

Just a number of four-wheel tubs to produce now.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

The coal staithes have had coal loads added. I tried to get different grades and types in different bins. Slack is very useful as household size coal and in filling the gaps between the larger pieces in the other bins. The heaps were made from Das air-drying clay.

IMGP0057.JPG.68697521b0085ed0b3500066b94ba2f7.JPG

IMGP0058.JPG.d585a343e9ccd3bc2b2d448339112e45.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I just love your layout and HATE those coal bins - I would suggest they are misplaced. See the attached which is filched from:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143092-coal-yard-coal-bins-and-such/&tab=comments#comment-3497256

I don't think that/have never personally seen coal bins up against a line for unloading - most unloading was done from wagon to lorry direct, and only stock between deliveries was kept to one side in bins.  Basically renting line space and wagons was more expensive that a bit of real estate in a goods yard.  Otherwise the coal was bagged for delivery and delivered.

SmallCoalMerchants-2.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, imt said:

I just love your layout and HATE those coal bins - I would suggest they are misplaced. See the attached which is filched from:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143092-coal-yard-coal-bins-and-such/&tab=comments#comment-3497256

I don't think that/have never personally seen coal bins up against a line for unloading - most unloading was done from wagon to lorry direct, and only stock between deliveries was kept to one side in bins.  Basically renting line space and wagons was more expensive that a bit of real estate in a goods yard.  Otherwise the coal was bagged for delivery and delivered.

SmallCoalMerchants-2.pdf 1.85 MB · 1 download

From my recollection of maps and photos of Buxton, those coal staithes are right where they are - but not yet enough of them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot find out where the staithes were at Buxton. They don't appear in any of the books I have. Nothing on the Midland Railway study Centre either. There's plenty of room for more and space for unloading onto the ground.