Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Retaining wall and viaduct

class37418stag

Hello everyone

What colour of retaining wall and viaduct

Black ?

Brown ?

Red ?

Grey ?

I need know

I feel black retaining wall at midland Sheffield station ?

Retaining walls may have become black due to pollution, especially in the steam era; but many were built with blue engineers bricks. 

However, I think the walls at Sheffield Midland were constructed from stone, although they may have had a top few layers of bricks. 

I found this photo by Russ Saxton (who kindly gave permission for it to be posted here) on Flickr, which is a great illustration of what I have seen in b/w before, so wasn't sure of the colours or materials used. 

post-4474-0-14273000-1517746777_thumb.png

It shows the lower stone retaining wall with an upper, almost balustrade-type, brick addition at Sheffield Midland in later years. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 3

Hello

If I spray all retaining wall and viaduct by Matt black?

I has seen pictures and YouTube by full black by wall and tunnel at kings Cross station in 1960 to 1980

And been cleaning retaining wall and tunnel remove off from black afterwards more cleaning because trains use electric overhead system

By am I right ?

Edited by class37418stag

• RMweb Premium

You'd need a mix of blacks, browns and creams for stonework, or reds and creams for bricks.  Why not use a pre-printed or downloadable brickpaper instead if you're not sure about painting it?

I have probably over-weathered this wall, but it is made from Slaters stone plastic card, painted a darkish grey (Humbrol blue-grey #79), then weathered with grimy black and dark earth powders. At present it is a little too even in colour for my liking.

28215481309_1022443e78_k.jpg

• Like 1

Overall black would be too much, unless you are modelling the late steam era?

Try and follow the colouring and weathering in the photo above.

because former steam depot low level area by fully black dust on retaining wall and viaduct. in 1990 new laid track for reopening small passenger and freight service over I have black Matt to need paint retaining wall and viaduct

Thank you

As mentioned earlier, many railway structures were built with engineer's blue brick. When new, this would be more of a dark grey with a little blue mixed in.

These weather with a build up of soot & vertical streaks of light grey where rain has washed other debris down it.

Depending on what is on the other side at the top of the wall, there may also be drainage pipes part way up dribbling contaminants down it.

I have probably over-weathered this wall, but it is made from Slaters stone plastic card, painted a darkish grey (Humbrol blue-grey #79), then weathered with grimy black and dark earth powders. At present it is a little too even in colour for my liking.

28215481309_1022443e78_k.jpg

I like the way your tunnel is dark. So many layouts feature tunnel mouths with daylight shining through them. It is usually easy to fix too.

Hello please give me answer from my comment of black retaining wall and viaduct

Thank you

I suppose that you could spray it matt black, but then scratch some of it off again after it has dried. However, that would be a long and laborious business. 

The colours of the retaining wall in the photograph look very difficult to get right. 

I don't think a matt black base would work.

Firstly, what material are you starting with? Card? Plasticard?

I used with Slaters brick plasticard & started with grey primer. There are different shades of grey primer, so I went for a lighter one because the cement is lighter than the bricks & it is easier to darken things with more paint than it is to lighten them.

Then L49 & I started to dry brush a mix of acrylic paints over this, in a vertical direction to give most of the grey/blue shade with some vertical streaking.

It is not finished yet & requires some blending in with a dark colour airbrushed on, but not black because this is too extreme.

If you take a look at this thread of my layout, you will see the exact walls I am trying to model & some photos of how far I have got with them.

Feel free to turn your nose up at the efforts. I am probably far more critical of it than you are likely to be.

Hello please give me answer from my comment of black retaining wall and viaduct

No, solid black would be too dark. Even in the steam era with lots of soot, the original colour would still have been somewhat visible.

You need to choose your building material. This may be engineering bricks or stone depending on what part of the country you are modelling. Paint the structures in that colour and then apply weathering to darken it.

Viaducts tend to be lighter in colour than retaining walls as the smoke/soot can drift away more easily and less will adhere to the structure.

Most importantly, look at the real thing. Copying the real world is better than copying a model. Buff-coloured stone seems to have been popular around Sheffield.

1070991_eb41f146.jpg

Wardsend_02.jpg

Brightside station in Sheffield has a splendid retaining wall built out of similarly coloured stone.

5644116327_fd24c8eb80_b.jpg

A base colour of buff with suitable weathering is the colour you should aim for.

• Like 1