DR5000 / Z21 Questions (including consisting)

Y_Rail

Hi all,

I have been doing some reading lately prior to getting a new DCC system. So far i have narrowed it down to 3 options, the z21start, the Z21 and the Digikeijs DR5000. US style layout, consists of 2-6 locomotives. For now Tortoise-analog control of switches and signals. Might go to automations in the future. Plan is to use an android device for programming/settings and a Multimaus (wifi) for operating.

I think i got a grasp of how things go in the Z21/z21 system. What attracted me to the Z21 among other things is the way you make up consists and more importantly how you speed match locomotives. I also saw the DR5000 as an alternative.

I cannot understand how the DR5000 works in some aspects (read the manual and most threads here...). So i got some questions on the topic from people that have used it.

1. Can i use it w/o a computer? In other words, unbox it, connect it, do setup via android and run trains (plug n play)

2. Can i use it with a linux-only computer?

3. How do you speedmatch locomotives and how do you make up consists?

4. Can i use a Multimaus and an android controller as i would with a Z21?

Many thanks in advance for your time and replies and apologies for the many questions

Edited by Y_Rail

• RMweb Gold

I recently obtained a DR5000.

As far as I am aware you will need a computer to set it up. Not sure about Linux but certainly works with Win 7 and 10. You do need to link the DR5000 via a network cable and router to set the WiFi password different to the default one.

I have had a Digitrax throttle and a Lenz throttle plugged into the box to control locos. Yet to try my Multimaus controller.

Some reports that the Digitrax throttle doesn’t allow consisting through the DR5000 but it worked for me. Can’t comment on the other throttles yet. I also need to try it with the Z21 software. I did have issues trying to read and program using a JMRI decoder pro but finally got that working yesterday.

In all, I do like the versatility of the DR5000 and with future firmware upgrades it has huge potential.

Hopefully others can answer your other queries.

Roundhouse many thanks for your detailed reply. I suppose you only use the digitrax throttle as hardware and the consisting is done via DR5000's method?

What i mean with my consisting question, is that via their GUI, either the Z21 or the ECoS 50200 do speed-matching and consisting in an easier way than working with CV's. Hence my question on how the DR5000 handles this.