DIY Peco Point Motor Extension Pins

I have made up extensions in the past to cater for thicker baseboard material.

I cut a length of brass tube that would slip over the existing pin. I cut a length of wire the same diameter as the existing wire to a suitable length. 

Araldite the three bits together and Bob is your uncle.

It is best to make the tube as long as possible to keep things rigid and cut the pin to the exact length after fitting.

Bernard

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience of DIY extension pins for Peco point motors. I have about 20 motors which I would like to mount sub baseboard without attaching to the points. Pun extensions from Peco are expensive. Ideas welcome.

I got a pack of ten extension pins recently for the cost of an S.A.E

Wow, I guess i haven't bought any PECO point motors for a while because the last ones I bought came with the extension pin bits as part of the package.  I have used them extensively and until recently have never had a problem.  The recent refers to one that appears (I have to get under the board in the next few days to confirm) to have worked loose and try to work itself upwards.  This results in the points not throwing in one direction properly and sometimes the loco getting stuck.

I've seen Copper tube used .. This fits over the old point motor pin . Plus you need  some round metal the same size as the pin. Cut and fit the tube over the pin to just under the length you need .Now push the new pin in all the way down .  Fit your point motor  then cut off the new pin to the correct length. Good model shops have it in stock best to take your old point motor with you . Then you will get the correct size of tube'ing. Hope this is clear.

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 1

As noted above, Peco point motors do come with the extension pin included.  The only problem I've had with the Peco extension pins is when cutting them to length.  They are a very hard wire and tend to chew a hole in the jaws of most side cutters.  You really need cutters that are specifically designed to cut hardened wire - not the default side cutters.  

• Like 1