Options for Selling a Collection

Simple.

If the whole collection is in boxes which look like they are in really excellent condition contact Vectis (auctioneers).

If the stuff is mostly not in boxes or the boxes are tatty then:

Best option by far is to sell individual items on eBay. This will raise literally twice the sum of any other method. But it is very time consuming.

Next best is to ask a national dealer (not a local one!) to bid for the whole lot - Hattons, Rails. They ask you to send the stuff to them, then they make you an offer, but it will usually be a fair reputable one.

Worst thing you can do is invite a local dealer to view it. He will pick out the best items, give you a fraction of what they are worth  -  & make the rest of the (junk) collection unsellable.

It doesn't have to be in boxes or excellent to sell through Vectis. Their train auctions are themed so generally they start with modern China made 00, then older Hornby/Lima/Airfix, then Dublo/Wrenn, N gauge, O gauge and at the end there'll be dozens of lots made up of boxes of stuff ('crap', but all with some degree of value) and it all goes for reasonable prices. You won't get the same money as if you lotted and sold the stuff yourself but it has the benefit of an open and transparent process where everything finds it's value on the day and you get your cut less seller's commission.

I've just been advising a friend to pass on to her friend about this.

I said there's so many variables, like what gauge, dcc non dcc, whether it has sound, what sort of controller(s), this and that, it's hard to give good advice.  But at least it's got the cogs thinking.  I offered to take a look as that would be better for me to give advice. Plus, if there's anything I am interested in, I'd be able to buy it at the going rate before anyone else gets a look in, hopefully - a win win for both parties.

I'm a bit of a snob though.  All my trains have their own original boxes.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

Plus, if there's anything I am interested in, I'd be able to buy it at the going rate before anyone else gets a look in, hopefully - a win win for both parties.

Which is exactly what every seller should avoid -

- having someone come in and take the bits that are "interesting". 

Definitely not a "win win".