Marly51

Yes, photos no longer available. Andrew F does though seem to be still somewhat active on RMWeb. Might be worth a PM to him?

Did you manage to see the photos? When I have re=visited it more recently, it seems the photos are not available.

I remember the old Dalry MPD area fairly well, as I had family living in Tollcross, and it was part of the division I worked in as a police constable. I remember viewing the shed from the Dundee Street bridge on my way to West End Division HQ in Torphichen Place for my first shift. Has anyone any ideas as to the accuracy to prototype of the Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire Dairies tank wagon models produced by Dapol? Were the chassis a stamdard ex-LMS design, and how correct was the livery they used? Unfortunately, I don't remember much about the dairy itself, as Bryson Road was not an area where I usually was on duty, although I do just about remember Merchiston Station. I also have fond memories of the 'Caley' station, as that was where I arrived in Edinburgh on my visits, before I moved to work there in the early 60's.

My memory is similar to yourself MacDuff999. Grew up in the Merchiston area, played in Harrison Park, and have memories of the E&D Dairy but the limited number of old photographs will mean using a bit of artistic licence in a model. E&D Dairy records seem to have been lost when they were taken over. There are some modellers here on the Forum who are very knowledgeable about dairies in general and I have seen one post where a model milk tanker chassis detail was incorrect and was subsequently modified?

Marlyn

• 1 year later...

I haven’t given up on the possibility of producing a small layout based on one of the old  Edinburgh stations from the 1950s/1960s. Although I have already located most of the reference photographs available, last weekend I found a second hand copy of ‘Edinburgh’s Last Days of Steam’ in Caledonia Books, Kelvin Bridge, Glasgow!

A10DB399-849F-4E0E-9AA9-3C25E2867B26.jpeg.1572af82ec44f55d3e2d886927f4815c.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Marly51 said:

I haven’t given up on the possibility of producing a small layout based on one of the old  Edinburgh stations from the 1950s/1960s. Although I have already located most of the reference photographs available, last weekend I found a second hand copy of ‘Edinburgh’s Last Days of Steam’ in Caledonia Books, Kelvin Bridge, Glasgow!

A10DB399-849F-4E0E-9AA9-3C25E2867B26.jpeg.1572af82ec44f55d3e2d886927f4815c.jpeg

Nice prototype for folk who don't like ballasting...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1